Sluggish Turn Coordinator (STEC 30)

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
Autopilot and Turn coordinator went dead during a recent flight. AP found a wire had come loose. Tightened and all was well for the short test flight afterwards. Next morning, the autopilot worked, but the turn coordinator (all the same unit on the STEC 30) was very sluggish, indicating half-standard rate turns when I was turning at 45 degrees! (And it took forever to go wings level.)

Two hours later, on the way home, it worked fine. The AP said that short of sending it out to STEC (which would likely take weeks and cost $2k+) He also said it may have just been cold. (It was about 50f, and I did takeoff rather quickly, as I was running late for an instrument lesson.) Rather than cancelling my last two weeks of instrument training and moving my checkride back a few months, he recommended keep flying it and see how it does. If it is warm and has the same problem, then take it out and send it to STEC.

Any recommendations/similar experiences?

No help since I don't have a STEC TC. Just sympathizing that things seem to break just when ya need them most. Had a tach failure on the instrument check ride.

I can offer that on a conventional TC one failure mode is to make grinding noises which everyone sez send to shop as soon as possible. A shop was able to remove the grinding noise for about $300.

Back