Upholstery work

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Airworthiness =

#1 Meets type design
#2 In a condition for safe operation.

If you fly a part 23 airplane certified to any amendment of 23.562 and you take your seats to the "Back Alley Shop" it won't be compliant with #1 therefore unairworthy. Its that simple.

Now say you do take it to the "Back Alley Shop" and they do a stellar job, nothing for paperwork, that can bite you during:

#1 Records research during a prebuy, or the next annual
#2 Records research during an import/export, which requires a DAR to issue a new CofA because his/her checklist just might include verification that any TSO or 23.562 approved seats were indeed approved at the last upholstery job.

Last edited:
not if the materials are flame resistant....for a CAR 3 aircraft.:D

fyi....most auto materials can come with burn certs....if requested. In that case your part 23 example would be fine.

part 25 is a whole nuther ball of bureaucratic wax.

not if the materials are flame resistant....for a CAR 3 aircraft.:D

fyi....most auto materials can come with burn certs....if requested. In that case your part 23 example would be fine.

part 25 is a whole nuther ball of bureaucratic wax.

Go read 23.526, you have no idea what it is. If it was certified in the last 28 years, it applies.

Brian....this ain't my first rodeo with the FSDO on this very issue and I was successful with my arguments. :D

to HQDRs....in DC. :D

Got a shiny letter I assume. Is it published anywhere? I'd like to know the specifics. IME changing dress covers on these kinds of seats isn't a big deal assuming it meets flammability & isn't teflon slick, but foams is different.

you prolly mean....§23.853 (a) The materials must be at least flame-resistant;

I goofed in post 121, that should have been 23.562 not 23.526.

I goofed in post 121, that should have been 23.562 not 23.526.
you have two options....either don't replace the foam...or replace with the identical foam weight and characteristics as it was certified to in the TC. And if the foam properties are unknown....call Cirrus and ask. There is absolutely no reason to go through a re-cert effort to redo an interior on a small aircraft.

you have two options....either don't replace the foam...or replace with the identical foam weight and characteristics as it was certified to in the TC.

Will the "Back Alley Shop" know anything about this?

The other work around is buying FAA/PMA seat foams. It looks like SCS interior has them available for this example, but can't verify since they don't post their PMAs.

By the way, cirrus seat foam is life limited. I don't recall the exact time but I believe irs ten years. The seat foam is part of the chute certification.

Bob

Any shmuck can post pictures on the internet that aren't theirs so I'm not sure that proves anything either...
Any shmick can be a phony too.

I will assure you there will be a A&P in the shop to look over things. I will make sure everything would be 100% legal incase tom decides to walk in. What i want to know now is what is the demand on plane interiors? Im thinking more along the lines like recovering of seats, panels and carpet.

Probably such that you wouldn't want to lease a much bigger hangar than needed. What's nearby?

I will assure you there will be a A&P in the shop to look over things. I will make sure everything would be 100% legal incase tom decides to walk in. What i want to know now is what is the demand on plane interiors? Im thinking more along the lines like recovering of seats, panels and carpet.

Well besides a headliner, there ain't much else. :dunno:

And headliner. I gues i mean no ca

Haha. Yeah i guess your right. I can do that too though. I just feel like tom thinks im trying to start some giant company like cessena or something.
Large company, small company, 1 man operation, all the same to the FAA.

Attachments

• 20131130_120245.jpg
    20131130_120245.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20131130_120320.jpg
    20131130_120320.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20131130_120328.jpg
    20131130_120328.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 23
Back