X-winds

BalooAirService

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cloud Kicker
Hermine caused some strong winds in my area recently.
Do you guys purposely seek out the those moderate/strong x-wind days? or do you completely avoid them?

Not sure that seeking them out is the right way to put it, but if I'm already planning to fly and the crosswinds are coming up on my personal limits, I try to think of them as opportunities to get better.

Depends if I'm by myself or taking people up with me. If it's the latter, I don't like to go up on gusty days.

Depends on what I am flying. The 172 I fly some strong crosswinds. I leave the Pitts an Cub in the hangar on those days.

Depends if I'm by myself or taking people up with me. If it's the latter, I don't like to go up on gusty days.
X2 virtually all of my passengers are not pilots and i want their flight to be a good one, good memories. if i'm alone or with another pilot i'll push the X-W envelope but i really hate gusty winds.

I sought some crosswinds out during my ifr training. We did some 27 knot crosswind components. I would not do that with passengers, but I am glad I was able to have that experience. I fly quite a bit with my in laws, and would fly up to a 15 knot crosswind with them. When I fly with them, it is to get some place. I would not fly with someone just for the experience in winds like that.

Look man if your not dragging wing tip its not a real crosswind.
If the crosswind doesn't force you to knife edge it down final, it's not a real crosswind. ;)

Wind, schmind..... people pay me to take them to their destination, and we are going.

I don't specifically seek out crosswinds, but I don't avoid them either. If I was planning on flying on a specific day, the wind is likely not what will keep me on the ground.

In terms of seeking them out, it depends. Pilots who feel uncomfortable with crosswinds should probably take advantage of a windy day and call an instructor to go up and practice. For those comfortable with their crosswind proficiency, consider whether getting some extra practice is needed.

You know, like most everything about flying.

And if you fly often enough the crosswinds will find you, and you won't feel the need to ask if you should seek them out.

Heh. BTDT. No, it wasn't howling 35 in New Mexico with 20 of it as cross, and it wasn't forecast... LOL. Never! :)

Hermine caused some strong winds in my area recently.
Do you guys purposely seek out the those moderate/strong x-wind days? or do you completely avoid them?

I used to call my primary students to see if they could make time in their busy days for an hour of pattern work in gusty crosswinds. It's hard to simulate a gusty crosswind on a calm day (or any crosswind, for that matter). With that exception, I would not take passengers up on such a day if I could avoid it.

Bob Gardner

Back