Something about you that not many here may know

I've driven the Nurburgring Nordschleife a couple of times.
I can ride a unicycle.
I've been over Mach 1 (as pax on Concorde, JFK to Heathrow)
I like puppies. :):)

I have also driven the "Green Hell", first in a 1951 VW Kaefer (all 25 HP working), passed a Fiat, you really can hear the crowd on the banks cheer. Last time was in a Porsche Cayenne S, much faster and more comfortable, but not as exciting.
Also drove Monaco, back when the tunnel was shorter and there was no chicane around the swimming pool. Graham Hill ran over my foot after his win (in '68 I believe) as I was getting a picture...no damage.
Driven the Hockenheimring many times (my Father-in-Law was a corner worker), but this was the old circuit with the long straights which went almost to Schwetzingen and back. Saw Jim Clark crash there in '67.

Cool! Ah, the Schwalbenschwanz, Fuchsrohre, the Karussell. Good times. Never driven at Monaco, but saw Senna the last time he raced there. Done a few laps around Estoril, Spa-Francorchamps, the roads on what's left of Reims, Fuji, Twin Ring Motegi road course, Tsukuba, etc. That last one was fun...raced a spec Miata class in a RHD Miata. Just driving a RHD car on the road is hard enough, but shifting with the wrong hand in the heat of competition is another thing altogether!!

I like Nelson Piquet's quote about driving Monaco: "Like flying a helicopter through your living room." (This, before the days of small r/c helis, because now you can actually do this!)

Driven the Hockenheimring many times (my Father-in-Law was a corner worker), but this was the old circuit with the long straights which went almost to Schwetzingen and back.

Haven't driven it - but I have ridden it on a bicycle. Used to live nearby.

Have been higher with both feet on the ground than I ever flew my Cherokee (Mt. Whitney - 14,505')

Probably the only person in the world born in a Campfire Girls camp (born at home -parents were resident caretakers).

Went to a race at Nurburging maybe in '70 or '71 when the full course was open (12-14 miles?). They were racing I guess GT type cars and those beautiful Porsche 917s maybe, not sure but they were fast and cool. Back then you could sneak over the guard rail and get some great pics before security showed up.

Went to a race at Nurburging maybe in '70 or '71 when the full course was open (12-14 miles?). They were racing I guess GT type cars and those beautiful Porsche 917s maybe, not sure but they were fast and cool. Back then you could sneak over the guard rail and get some great pics before security showed up.
Nice! It's a great track for spectating, at a few turns at least. On any given day, you can see a disguised prototype of a future production car circulating.

I love how you can pay your xx Euros and go out and flog your own car around there to your heart's content. 130 mph into Angst? No problem. I'm not sure who picks up the tab if there's a fatality, but I know that if you prang a guardrail you pay for it.

Can you imagine something like that in 'Murica? I can't either. It's glorious that it exists.

I earned my Eagle Scout Rank on my 18 birthday.

I've hiked over 100 miles in 10 days carrying all my food and supplies. Done the same thing but in a canoe in Canada.

I'm a test tube baby. My sister and I have the same father though.

I met my wife in middle school.

I've been in many places at Kennedy Space Center that not many other people have: the battery tunnels at the launch pads, the battery tunnel for the LCC, the astronauts beach house, inside the shuttles (Orbiters), abandoned rooms in the vehicle assembly building, etc etc.

I met my wife at Disneyland. She worked for one airline, I worked for another. We were on a FAM trip sponsored by United Airlines to show off their brand new DC-10. The service charge including air, meals, cocktail party, two nights in a hotel and Park entrance was $20. Airline people and travel agents can drink a lot of booze.

They don't do that any more...

Airline people and travel agents can drink a lot of booze.

They don't do that any more...

Hmm I dunno 'bout that Mason. Pilots and flight attendants I flew with, not all of course, could put the booze away, off duty of course. :D

Have been higher with both feet on the ground than I ever flew my Cherokee (Mt. Whitney - 14,505')
Ha! Ditto - hiked to the top of Longs Peak many years ago, 14260'. The highest I've flown my Cardinal (or any plane as PIC) is 11,000'.

Has Mount Whitney been re-surveyed in the last 45-50 years or is the summit continuing to uplift? When I was there a couple of times in the late 1960s, the first order survey marker at the peak read 14,495.811.

Probably the only person in the world born in a Campfire Girls camp (born at home -parents were resident caretakers).

I should have guessed from your Username. We lived on Alex Moeller Strasse in the early seventies. It was a short ride over the pedestrian bridge over the Autobahn to the ring. My wife and I used to ride there also on Sunday afternoons. I worked in the cryogenics division of Aurepa in the Tahlhaus.

Cool! Ah, the Schwalbenschwanz, Fuchsrohre, the Karussell. Good times. Never driven at Monaco, but saw Senna the last time he raced there. Done a few laps around Estoril, Spa-Francorchamps, the roads on what's left of Reims, Fuji, Twin Ring Motegi road course, Tsukuba, etc. That last one was fun...raced a spec Miata class in a RHD Miata. Just driving a RHD car on the road is hard enough, but shifting with the wrong hand in the heat of competition is another thing altogether!!

I like Nelson Piquet's quote about driving Monaco: "Like flying a helicopter through your living room." (This, before the days of small r/c helis, because now you can actually do this!)

Spa is on the schedule for next year, just too expensive as a one-off this year. Will combine a few over there next year.
Regarding RHD cars: never driven in anger, but when I came over here my first boss had a Jag 140 or 150 (can't remember), beautiful BRG, aluminium body, with "INDY" on the cast rocker arm cover-never got the story on that. It was RHD, with huge wire spoke wheels, and also a huge steering wheel. He liked to go up on the Blue Ridge Parkway just after daybreak on Saturdays and enjoy it. On the occasions he insisted I drive, I knew true terror. The front wheels had a fierce shimmy at 75 mph - just had to accelerate through it- with that steering wheel shaking in your hand. Also did not want to miss a shift with the lever on the wrong side. I figured if I pranged it, I would get it paid off around 2050! But 140 mph on the open Parkway was beyond beautiful.
Saw Senna at Hockenheim one year when he was braking for the Ostkurve and the rear wing support broke sending him against the rail (lucky, he just scrubbed off the speed before entering the curve and impacting the wall in front of the grandstand.) After climbing out and surveying the wing and support (he was driving a Lotus which was as usual highly stressed with little margin), he threw the steering wheel into his seat with such force that I'm sure it left a dent on the bottom.

Sounds like an awesome Jag, and a great drive through the BRP. There is speed, and then there is perceived speed. I remember when Phil Hill wrote about driving a replica 1886 Benz Patent-Motorwagen, with a tiller and those spindly wood wheels; the seating position is way above the ground too. Can't remember his exact quote, but he said that it was more terrifying at 20 mph than any race car he'd ever been in!

Cool story about Senna. He was a god among drivers. RIP.

Yeah, Lotus. When Chapman was designing the 7, the joke was he'd remove one tube at a time from the space frame until it broke...then put one tube back in.

Another funny Lotus story. The Elise/Exige models use a lot of structural adhesive in their tubs. At some point in the production cycle, they changed the color of the adhesive (different supplier, maybe?). Some guy on a Lotus forum started a rumor that if you overstressed the chassis, the adhesive would change color.... Lots of concerned Lotus owners after that, until the truth came out!! When I was a kid, I lusted after the Europa with the black/gold John Player Special scheme. Until I drove one. o_O

I'm on year three of guitar, and definitely not a natural. :D
Been using Justinguitar.com, now I'm using Jamplay, both good but Jamplay more instructors.
I'm on year 10 and not a natural. The owner of one of the planes I rent has the same guitar teacher as I do and has been at it about the same amount of time.
As mentioned in the 3 lies and one truth thread, I'm a lefty but I play right.

I'm on year 10 and not a natural. The owner of one of the planes I rent has the same guitar teacher as I do and has been at it about the same amount of time.
As mentioned in the 3 lies and one truth thread, I'm a lefty but I play right.

Some things come easily to me, but definitely not guitar!! I bought a cheap Yamaha acoustic and attempted to learn it. My dad was an incredibly talented pianist...he could sit down and sight-read a complex classical piece he'd never seen before...but the music gene seems to have skipped a generation. :)

Worked at it for several months, beating it into my brain chord by chord. I can now do a mean tablature version of Tennessee Flat Top Box, but that's about it. A great and satisfying way to sit down and kill a few hours, even for the unskilled.

Holy s... I just found our common denominator. Not joking. In my case, however, it was not a direct strike. Lightning hit the power box outside my parent's house, sent a charge through my TV - which I was sitting right in front of (I was 12) - and threw me backward. I was fine, just a bit... shocked!
(Get it?!!! SHOCKED!! haha)

Add me in as well. Indirect, struck a tree a foot outside the floor-to-ceiling windows at our old lake house, which I happened to be sleeping next to on the floor. Split the tree in half, shattered the windows, and knocked me unconscious (was around 5yrs old). Parents were in the bed above me and couldn't wake me up for a minute or two. Mom still claims that strike was God warning me in advance, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've won several off shore fishing tournaments.
Never drank a cup of coffee in my life.
I am an anchor baby. Born in Alaska, my parents are Irish and Canadian.

I should have guessed from your Username. We lived on Alex Moeller Strasse in the early seventies. It was a short ride over the pedestrian bridge over the Autobahn to the ring. My wife and I used to ride there also on Sunday afternoons. I worked in the cryogenics division of Aurepa in the Tahlhaus.

We lived in Waldorf. I belonged to a model airplane club that had meetings in Hockenheim so I biked to meetings. I was working on building a nuclear power plant. One of those two year assignments that turned into nine.

My knees couldn't handle it. Brother and I went up the East side (mountaineers route) and camped at UBSL. Made a couple attempts from there, disappointed brother (he went back the next year and made summit with his wife, and easier approach). We went up in early October, it was beautiful but on day 4 a storm moved in and we hiked out in blizzard conditions. My pictures are On FB, Mt. Whitney Portal Campground page.

Last edited:
Hey ya got a penis don't ya? And all that confetti, just saying.

I already showed PoA a pic of my cock, and 6 and Nate have all my confetti. besides, I summed up all the exciting things that happened in my life in sac's original 'random # of truths, 1 lie' thread.

I just cancelled my AOPA membership today.

Oh they ain't done with ya yet. I've already received 2 reminders, and the last one promised me a hat. The old days they gave you a hat and that Airport Directory every year.

I've won several off shore fishing tournaments.

Do you have a boat down in Destin? I have always wanted to get into one of the big tournaments, but I'm always too busy and short on capital. And a boat for that matter. This years Blue Marlin was an interesting one.

Do you have a boat down in Destin? I have always wanted to get into one of the big tournaments, but I'm always too busy and short on capital. And a boat for that matter. This years Blue Marlin was an interesting one.
We sold our Hatteras this year and I'm looking for something else this winter. We fished several gulf coast tournaments per year from 1994-2007, it's a lot of fun, but it got way too expensive when the economy crashed!!

We sold our Hatteras this year and I'm looking for something else this winter. We fished several gulf coast tournaments per year from 1994-2007, it's a lot of fun, but it got way too expensive when the economy crashed!!

Awesome, there is a lot of money changing hands in those tournaments. I'm partial to vikings, but I drool at pretty much anything over 40 feet.

Awesome, there is a lot of money changing hands in those tournaments. I'm partial to vikings, but I drool at pretty much anything over 40 feet.
I am looking at a Viking now, I wanted to downsize a little from a 60 to something in the 50ft range. I keep it at my parent's condo and they have been talking about selling it, so I need something that I can put in my slip behind my house and the 60 was too wide. :) The money wasn't too bad at first, $5-10K for entry fees, then they started doing the Calcutta's and the money got out of sight! I think now if you go in across the board, tuna, dolphin, wahoo and blue marlin it's $40K!! Plus fuel, crew, bait and food! Our last win was in Biloxi in 2007, first place tuna and 2nd place blue marlin. The tournament paid $78,000, the Calcutta was $300K :)

Hmm, 3 things that members here do not know about me?
There's so much stuff ... but I'll keep it PG. :)

1) I drive a stick. I prefer to drive a stick. (When restoring my old Z28, I decided that a c*ap-o-matic transmission is a joke and put in a 5-speed manual - OH YEAH!)
2) (Just like 6PC) I dabble in guitars.
3) I am certified up to 500V in Euroland.

Took my first flight lesson to get over my fear of flying, been a commercial pilot as a living for 5 years now.
Joined the Air Force Reserves and went to boot camp at the tender age of 35.
I retired from auto mechanics to be a pilot/ join the AF Reserves. Specialized in transmission overhauls for a couple of years, built Cajun Sprint engines and dyno tested them for a while and was one of the youngest to ever obtain ASE Master certified and one of the first to obtain the ASE Advanced Engine Performance cert - spent the twilight of my career specializing in driveability/electronics for about 5 years.

I play the cello.
I am an Eagle Scout.
I have won orienteering competitions.
I am an avid amateur genealogist.
I'm a pretty good accountant.

Back