Pet Peeves

Apostrophe used upside down when abbreviating a year....

'17 models now in stock! (Can't really give a good example of it done wrong here, since in this font it's kind of a generic, bilaterally symmetrical apostrophe. But use your imagination!)

Given the large number of spelling and grammar errors that go uncorrected, it's evident that the spelling nazis and grammar gestapo are showing great self-restraint!

Nah, we're just badly outnumbered and seriously overworked! Then the stupid apple spelling changer screws up some if my own stuff . . .

I've said it before, but poor punctuation can kill! :eek:

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

[vs]

"Let's eat Grandma!"

Bonus round: What movie is this quote from?

"You eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal!" (The foot was in a stew, and perpetrator was unaware.)

Nah, we're just badly outnumbered and seriously overworked! Then the stupid apple spelling changer screws up some if my own stuff . . .
Well, perhaps I was only speaking for myself!

People that can't decide what speed at which to drive. Seriously, this morning I get behind a car going 79 on the freeway. He is in the left most lane. I want to go 80. 79 will work so I stay behind him, and there are trucks to the right up ahead. We get by the trucks. He slows to 75. That won't work. I pass him, and go 85. He speeds up to stay ahead of me. I get back in the left lane because there is approaching trucks. He slows again.

What a dick.

Should have given him a Richard Petty bump.

Petty Facing Hit-and-Run Charges in North Carolina
September 19, 1996|From Staff and Wire Report

• Stock car racing legend Richard Petty, who is running for North Carolina's secretary of state, was charged Wednesday with hit-and-run and reckless driving in connection with an accident in Cabarrus County last week.

State Highway Patrol officials said the accident occurred on Interstate 85 as Petty was trying to pass another car. Petty is accused of bumping the car from behind, then passing it and driving away, the News and Observer of Raleigh reported.

Petty is scheduled to appear in Cabarrus County District Court on Oct. 16 on the misdemeanor charges, according to Renee Hoffman, spokeswoman for the state Department of Crime Control and Public Safety.

pixel.gif

Should have given him a Richard Petty bump.

Petty Facing Hit-and-Run Charges in North Carolina
September 19, 1996|From Staff and Wire Report

• Stock car racing legend Richard Petty, who is running for North Carolina's secretary of state, was charged Wednesday with hit-and-run and reckless driving in connection with an accident in Cabarrus County last week.

State Highway Patrol officials said the accident occurred on Interstate 85 as Petty was trying to pass another car. Petty is accused of bumping the car from behind, then passing it and driving away, the News and Observer of Raleigh reported.

Petty is scheduled to appear in Cabarrus County District Court on Oct. 16 on the misdemeanor charges, according to Renee Hoffman, spokeswoman for the state Department of Crime Control and Public Safety.

pixel.gif

I'm sure his lawyer will have it dismissed as a Petty crime.

People that can't decide what speed at which to drive. Seriously, this morning I get behind a car going 79 on the freeway. He is in the left most lane. I want to go 80. 79 will work so I stay behind him, and there are trucks to the right up ahead. We get by the trucks. He slows to 75. That won't work. I pass him, and go 85. He speeds up to stay ahead of me. I get back in the left lane because there is approaching trucks. He slows again.

What a dick.
I swear, some people drive like they're mentally ill! :rolleyes1:

What a dick.
PIT maneuver. A little tap is all it takes. :)

(story about people who cannot hold a constant speed) What a dick.

I get that ALL the time on the interstate & larger freeways! WTH?!
And I take such pains to ensure I know who is behind me, try to gauge their speed so I don't hold anyone up when I pop into the PASSING LANE to pass; or is my pass really going to work out in the end..... grrr.

What a dick.

The really funny part is I get that too, and I drive the speed limit everywhere.

The best was the guy who roared past me every block and was stopped at every red light over almost a two mile distance when I puttered up next to him. I was laughing so hard by the seventh light my sides hurt. I was also amazed as much of a froth as he was getting himself into that he didn't run the sixth one or the seventh one.

I just drove 3000 miles across the country. I know how you feel. I seriously mentioned to my wife today that I wanted to PIT those kinds of people.

Cell phone networks that send calls to voice mail when you clearly have adequate signal for an inbound call.

Cell phone networks that send calls to voice mail when you clearly have adequate signal for an inbound call.

If only you knew someone who deals with telco equipment & networks that you can complain to...

Did we do four-way stops?
I mean.

These should really be way more efficient than traffic lights! Traffic lights are for mindless autotrons.
Egregious misuse of the 4-way stop #1 (I'm sure you have others)
-You get there obviously first but instead of going, You Wave The Other Guy On!
good God, man! NOT helpful, not efficient, not safe, puts everyone on edge a bit at all 4-way stops because it nullifies the very design of the system which should flow; bang-you go, bang-your turn, bang-you go, etc.
INSTEAD, we play a game now of 'is this guy going to wave me on?' 'I can't see clearly, is he waving or maybe just a fly in the car?' 'am I supposed to wave the next car on?' AAUUGGHHH!

I don't care if you turn a corner when you are blocked by an adjacent car going straight even if you didn't get there before me! You are out of the intersection and that is a Good Thing.
I almost don't care if you barely beat me and charge ahead first, because...you are moving it.... unlike the intersection slowpokes!

On a related note, people who make up their own rules when they drive. There's this corner by my house with a stop sign perpendicular to it. The people that approach this corner without a stop sign stop and let the people with the stop sign go. You don't have a stop sign, why are you stopping?

People who are in the left turn lane who wait for oncoming traffic to turn right to a three lane road. Turn right or left into the closest lane to you, the middle one shouldn't even be used.

On a related note, people who make up their own rules when they drive. There's this corner by my house with a stop sign perpendicular to it. The people that approach this corner without a stop sign stop and let the people with the stop sign go. You don't have a stop sign, why are you stopping?

People who stop while going through the EZ Pass fast lane. WTF. Why do you have an EZ Pass if you're going to stop, a-hole??!

Also, people who come into work all chipper and won't stop saying "Good morning!!!!" until you say it back.

Last edited:
Crew members who talk too much on the 6am hotel shuttle. Please be quiet while I sip my coffee or tea and try to wake up.

People who stop whole going through the EZ Pass fast lane. WTF. Why do you have an EZ Pass if you're going to stop, a-hole??!

Also, people who come into work all chipper and won't stop saying "Good morning!!!!" until you say it back.
Sound like someone has a case of the Mondays :rockon::wonderwoman:

People behind you in the supermarket check-out lane who have one item, and look plaintively at you to let them ahead, but they don't seem to acknowledge the "Express check" lanes a few steps away. Double-aaaargh! They can kiss my Fruity Pebbles, Gallo salami or any of the other 27 items I have in my cart. :D

I try to avoid eye contact completely.

Did we do four-way stops?
I mean.

These should really be way more efficient than traffic lights! Traffic lights are for mindless autotrons.
Egregious misuse of the 4-way stop #1 (I'm sure you have others)
-You get there obviously first but instead of going, You Wave The Other Guy On! <snip>
Expansion of this idea... People who don't follow right of way rules. If you have the right of way, take it. Use it. Don't make the predictable unpredictable...

If only you knew someone who deals with telco equipment & networks that you can complain to...

I do wired telecom. Cellular is a whole different world. A world that used to give real money credits for dropped calls... Remember those days? ;)

Nowadays we all understand and are well trained to yell "Are you still there? Can you hear me? Is it back yet?" into our devices and nobody finds that behavior odd at all. LOL.

Or if you're two old wireline telecom geeks talking... "Breaking up. Is it dead? Okay back now? Yeah, crappy handoff again. Always on this tower too. Guess that's why voice is free these days. You were saying?" ;)

Back