IO-360 overhaul video

That was good. The narration gave it the feel of a 1960s junior high school shop class video, but still useful. Thanks for posting it.

You should see the one on YouTube in black and white linked below if you think that one had the shop class feel. Better get a cup of coffee first.

cool video. I enjoy working on engines, mostly motorcycles, so I liked seeing the internals of an aircraft power plant.

Wow, I never knew they were so simple to rebuild.
Try to do the machine work yourself. Do you have a set of micrometers, gear tooth profiles? they did not show you where they plastagauged the crank and rod bearing for proper clearances. magna fluxed the steel parts, did the cleaning for the crack inspections. the reassembly is the easy part.

Lycoming requires a whole set of special tools and equipment to do a proper overhaul, That's why I don't do them.

Try to do the machine work yourself. Do you have a set of micrometers, gear tooth profiles? they did not show you where they plastagauged the crank and rod bearing for proper clearances. magna fluxed the steel parts, did the cleaning for the crack inspections. the reassembly is the easy part.

Lycoming requires a whole set of special tools and equipment to do a proper overhaul, That's why I don't do them.

I never did the machining, I always sent that stuff out for the engines I built in the marine biz (outboards).

As far as the video shows, though, the assembly seems pretty straight forward. I don't doubt the inspection part requires more experience. There is a reason we can't rebuild engines on our own :) (we meaning non-a&p)

Tom doesn't build them either. :D
No,, I do not rebuild Lycoming, they require tools and equipment I do not own, or can't borrow.
But I do rebuild Warner R-500

Attachments

• engine 1.JPG
    engine 1.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
  • engine 2.JPG
    engine 2.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 9
  • engine 3.JPG
    engine 3.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 8
It ain't rocket surgery. You open the manual and follow the directions.
There ya go, but you still must show that the proper and approved procedures were followed. You can't have the mom&pop shop do the rebuild procedure unless they can issue the 8030-3 forms

It ain't rocket surgery. You open the manual and follow the directions.

There are a lot of techniques, such as measuring the parts, that are not something you want to try for the first time rebuilding your engine. Lots of specialized tools shown too, but you are right, follow the steps but you still kind of need to know what you are doing.

There are a lot of techniques, such as measuring the parts, that are not something you want to try for the first time rebuilding your engine. Lots of specialized tools shown too, but you are right, follow the steps but you still kind of need to know what you are doing.
You really don't need to have any of the those tools, you can send every thing to the machine shops, they will clean, measure every thing.
I elect to measure the parts prior to sending them to the shops, simply because I don't like to pay the shipping on junk. It costs near 150.00 for UPS freight to Tulsa from here. and on occasion I think the crank is good only to find it is bent, or cracked when they do their inspections.
OBTW the shops will clean the parts, why spend the time and money to comply with the EPA has-mat disposal.

To rebuild? I bet not :D
And why not, rebuild is simply a description of what was done that meets the requirement of the rebuilt engine sign off in FAR 43.2.

(b) No person may describe in any required maintenance entry or form an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part as being rebuilt unless it has been disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repaired as necessary, reassembled, and tested to the same tolerances and limits as a new item, using either new parts or used parts that either conform to new part tolerances and limits or to approved oversized or undersized dimensions.

Why Can't I comply?

You're not the manufacturer ....keep reading :D

See 14 CFR 43.3 (J) ......a manufacturer may

Last edited:
You're not the manufacturer ....keep reading :D

See 14 CFR 43.3 (J) ......a manufacturer may
Where does that exclude me from rebuilding any engine?
(j) A manufacturer may—

(1) Rebuild or alter any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance manufactured by him under a type or production certificate;

(2) Rebuild or alter any appliance or part of aircraft, aircraft engines, propellers, or appliances manufactured by him under a Technical Standard Order Authorization, an FAA-Parts Manufacturer Approval, or Product and Process Specification issued by the Administrator; and

(3) Perform any inspection required by part 91 or part 125 of this chapter on aircraft it manufactured under a type certificate, or currently manufactures under a production certificate.

Last edited:
Back