"cessna" down in NOLA/KNEW

That's the airport my uncle has been taking lessons out of. Thankfully I know he wasn't on any night flights last night.

Doesn't look like there have been updates to the story in 6+ hours, so sadly wondering if that means they never found the other two people.

That lake has claimed many planes flying into Lakefront. Especially when it's MVFR and/or hazy as you have no horizon. Flown into there a lot. Pretty dark flying over it at night too, even on a clear night even though if you see the lights of NO you'd think people could fly straight and level. Spatial disorientation, it'll get you.

This morning they report it was a 172 from a local FBO - student and instructor still missing but they found one lady that was in the plane as well. Sad day.

Ugh...I trained out of NEW and was based there until a recent move. Still fly down for breakfast once or twice per month. I was down last week and watched 2 guys and a girl load up in one of the local trainers (G1000 172) out front of Runway Cafe. I know it could be anyone but I've been thinking about them since seeing this. Very sad.

Very sad to hear this. I have taken a few lessons there. Very nice airport and people there. Yes, the lake has claimed more than a few lives.

Hate to hear this, RIP. :(

Wow. Unexpected IMC on final and one of the pax shoved his girlfriend out of the aircraft into the lake below while still flying to save her?!

That got to be in the top five weirdest accidents I've ever heard of. Not so much the IMC thing. The passenger shoving a passenger out thing.

It sounded to me as if he pushed her out after the plane impacted the lake, not pushing her out while the plane was still in flight.

It sounded to me as if he pushed her out after the plane impacted the lake, not pushing her out while the plane was still in flight.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Thanks.

The dunk tanks prove folks get very disoriented in ditchings. Having someone shove you out the door toward the surface certainly would help your survivability chances.

Sad that he didn't make it after he did that for her. I bet she's haunted by that for the rest of her life.

Well, the headline does say before the crash, but in the article the girlfriend just says he pushed her out. She did not say if it was before the crash or after.

Maybe someone wants to make the dead boyfriend a hero after the fact? Maybe a reporter twisted the facts to sell sensationalism?

Hopefully facts will come out soon and clear the mystery up.

This is very sad. The article says, "This was his first plane flight ever.... And it was a surprise from his girlfriend Brianna."
Apparently he was afraid to fly, but wanted to experience New Orleans from above.

It also says they posed for this picture BEFORE the flight...
reginald-jpg.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell, but those clouds in the background sure look like developing storm clouds. Why did the pilot take them up in that?

This is very sad. The article says, "This was his first plane flight ever.... And it was a surprise from his girlfriend Brianna."
Apparently he was afraid to fly, but wanted to experience New Orleans from above.

It also says they posed for this picture BEFORE the flight...
reginald-jpg.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell, but those clouds in the background sure look like developing storm clouds. Why did the pilot take them up in that?

I agree, down here in the later parts of the summer, Late July, August and Early September, storms build quick and fast everywhere it seems.

some more info

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20160830/WIRE/160839978?tc=cr

This makes more sense.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...efc-11e6-9237-3fc44e7e87f0.html?1472596074999

"But the plane’s pilot had been knocked unconscious during the water landing, Reginald Hilliard Sr. said, so his son went back inside to try to save him. It was at that point, he believes, that the plane vanished under the waters of the lake, roughly 1,000 feet west of its intended runway."

Died trying to pull someone else out. Sad. The good guys don't always win... :(

Typical gulf coast weather during the summer. They often develop into storms in the afternoon-evening time frame, but of course can at other times too.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Thanks.

The dunk tanks prove folks get very disoriented in ditchings. Having someone shove you out the door toward the surface certainly would help your survivability chances.

Sad that he didn't make it after he did that for her. I bet she's haunted by that for the rest of her life.
I shoved someone out of the dunker ahead of me....hit them with my head as I was on the way out...hit'm square on the butt and propelled them clear...we were blindfolded...

I shoved someone out of the dunker ahead of me....hit them with my head as I was on the way out...hit'm square on the butt and propelled them clear...we were blindfolded...

So you're saying that he bought the first round? LOL

Back