What is your hundred dollar hamburger?

I've planned my long solo XC around mine....which is pulled pork and not a hamburger. I'm sure I'll find some other reasons in the future.

The two classic ones that my friends and I tend to "$100 hamburger too" is a place with great wings and believe it or not, burgers, or another BBQ joint to get some pulled chicken or pork!

Last edited:
In the NE, NJ-PA-DE-NY Area, one of my favorite Burger joint is Flying W , (N14) it has a swimming pool shaped like an aircraft, a motel Heh heh heh.. a flight school and a few miles away a small aircraft museum ( at South jersey Regional VAY). Cool place !

In the NE, NJ-PA-DE-NY Area, one of my favorite Burger joint is Flying W , (N14) it has a swimming pool shaped like an aircraft, a motel Heh heh heh.. a flight school and a few miles away a small aircraft museum ( at South jersey Regional VAY). Cool place !

But what do you eat there?

Just wondering why we got a missive on what your favorite joint was, when the question posed was what do you eat on the $100 Hamburger run.

I think the point is that a "$100 hamburger" can be about anything. When I get my ticket I plan on mainly using it for day trips or overnights to places like Jackson Hole or Yellowstone to hike. I'm sure food will be involved, but the hike is the ultimate goal.

Only place I ever planned to fly specifically for the food was Sisters, OR, 6K5. There was a Tapas restaurant there that did the wine pairing thing. Great food. And there were plenty of no tell motels in walking distance. Alas, Jens went out of business before I did it. But I have stumbled upon a lot of great "heart attack on a plate" joints on, and close by airports. The one that sticks out most in my memory was the place at Perris Valley, L65. Its a skydiving airport. Oh yeah, there is a melt in your mouth Ribs joint on airport at Havasu, HII. Taxi up to and tiedown at the back door Mexican at Rosamond, L00. I'm hungry now, gotta go......

There's a cassoulet available in Napa that is fantastic. Been there more than once for that.

food.

whatever they got, but so far it's mainly been bbq or a burger for me. the reward for the trip, in my opinion, is good times/good food. of course a bj in straight and level doesn't hurt either.

My favorite used to be the pizza at Sorrento's down the road from 3DA (Flushing, MI). Very tasty and even a half of a personal-size pizza was quite filling. I don't know of any good local restaurants on or within walking distance of airports less than 100nm away from where I'm based now (KMPV). Well, one exception, the diner at Basin Harbor is pretty decent. But it's a grass strip so I'd have to call ahead of time every single time, and the number given in the Chart Supplement just rings and rings at least some of the time. Going there during the winter is obviously out of the question, too.

I miss Sorrento's... <sniff>

Seafood salad at Meza Luna, Half Moon Bay.
100 yards from tie down. $10

I like to fly down to St Simons Island (KSSI) and eat crab cakes at Barbara Jean's. I pretty much like any excuse to go flying, food or not.

I'm always looking for new ones. But, My old standby for friends and relatives who wish to experience the freedom of the skies, is to fly to Friday Harbor. The flight itself is incredible because of the scenery. 800' over Deception Pass is a crowd pleaser. But, flying around the San Juan islands is pretty spectacular. Occasionally, you'll even get to see a whale or two. A short walk to town from Friday Harbor airport yields several nice lunch spots. And, in a couple of weeks, the one with the best view will reopen, after having burnt down awhile ago. The flight back, if the weather is good, and there's time, includes a trip up Baker Lake, with views of the North Cascades, including Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, and 3 Fingers.

My preference is $100 Mexican food.

Tacos/tamales/enchilada/burritos.

One of the reasons why Ponca City is a regular x-country fuel stop.

Turkey club sandwich and fries.

Or if they are only serving breakfast I get the basic mix (eggs, bacon, toast).

Either way my meal has bacon. So, I guess my answer is "bacon."

My go-to $100 hamburger is a flight to Lone Star Exec north of Houston to the Black Walnut Cafe. Great brunch and lunch type stuff.

I'm always looking for new ones. But, My old standby for friends and relatives who wish to experience the freedom of the skies, is to fly to Friday Harbor. The flight itself is incredible because of the scenery. 800' over Deception Pass is a crowd pleaser. But, flying around the San Juan islands is pretty spectacular. Occasionally, you'll even get to see a whale or two. A short walk to town from Friday Harbor airport yields several nice lunch spots. And, in a couple of weeks, the one with the best view will reopen, after having burnt down awhile ago. The flight back, if the weather is good, and there's time, includes a trip up Baker Lake, with views of the North Cascades, including Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, and 3 Fingers.

And some bread to take home from that bakery just outside the gate at the airport

Only place I ever planned to fly specifically for the food was Sisters, OR, 6K5. There was a Tapas restaurant there that did the wine pairing thing. Great food. And there were plenty of no tell motels in walking distance. Alas, Jens went out of business before I did it. But I have stumbled upon a lot of great "heart attack on a plate" joints on, and close by airports. The one that sticks out most in my memory was the place at Perris Valley, L65. Its a skydiving airport. Oh yeah, there is a melt in your mouth Ribs joint on airport at Havasu, HII. Taxi up to and tiedown at the back door Mexican at Rosamond, L00. I'm hungry now, gotta go......

Ok, where'd I leave off. Excellent swirl the spaghetti in your spoon joint on airport at Borrego Valley, L08. Just a couple weeks ago flew to Newport, OR, KONP. Crew car into town and found a place called Local Ocean Seafoods. Right on the bay front. Had some fish n chips but they have hamburgers to. Ones where they tell you where the cow came from and what it was fed. The people who had those had a glazed look in their eyes while eating them. Westport, WA, 14S. The guys who landed just before us had a cooler that they walked into town with. They flew in to buy fish right off the boats at the commercial fishing dock. We went into town and had some righteous fish n chips. The fish n chips joints there have 'who's best wars'. Never thought I could truly enjoy fish n chips without a couple brewskis. Come to think of it, maybe I am in it for the food.

Seafood salad at Meza Luna, Half Moon Bay.
100 yards from tie down. $10

It's hard to beat that.

Several other good ones:

B-52 burgers at Petaluma
Handmade Mexican across the street from Ukiah
Hole-in-the-wall Mexican 1 block from Watsonville
On-field Italian at Watsonville
Steaks at Sac Executive, Napa, Santa Rosa, or Harris Ranch
Sand dabs at Monterey
$100 burger (yes, it's on the menu) at Lancaster/Fox

While instructing in Central Florida I had an instrument student -- we flew to New Orleans for our hamburger run. But we didn't have hamburgers!! Too much great food on the menu for that. Worked out well for both of us -- I love New Orleans food and he got instrument time enroute. Boy, I miss those days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a little bit confused on the original question. Reading the linked article, it would appear that the poster is really asking what your excuse is to fly somewhere, not necessarily what and if you eat there. I think I can count the number of times I've specifically made a $100 hamburger run on one hand. Maybe two. Normally I fly to get from point A to point B. Sure, I'll throw food in to the mix but I'm doing that anyway, regardless of the mode of transportation.

My flying buddies here in WI have informally stated Supper Club Club. We try to find old school WI Supper Clubs near airports for our outings.

If you need a refresher on this WI Standby see this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/t...clubs-old-fashioned-and-open-to-all.html?_r=0

I read the NY Times article, and still can't tell the difference between "supper club" and "restaurant."

I've made more breakfast runs than lunch/dinner runs. Bacon, eggs, grits are good; so are omelets, or blueberry pancakes. But I don't live there anymore, and don't know any good breakfast places here . . .

Haven't flown somewhere just to turn around and come back since I finished my insurance dual. But I have flown places just to eat!

Love that maple bacon too! PIREP for anyone in the SoCal area: Hemet-Ryan's restaurant kills it in the bacon department (probably a poor choice of verb for the PETA crowd). Best. Bacon. Ever! :D;)

Last edited:
Whatever the specialty is at that particular place. Pizza, burger, steak, fried random things, fish, cheese, etc. I order what they say they do best and others agree with reviews.

Back