Sold: 1967 Mooney M20E - $69K

flight2000

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flight2000
I'm finally throwing the towel in and upgrading to a bigger aircraft to haul the family around in. Wish I could keep two planes, because I love the M20E, just not possible with hangar fees and such being what they are out here in NV. Always stored in a hangar since I've owned it.

Aircraft currently based at Reno International Airport (KRNO). Contact me via PM if interested and I'll shoot you my phone number/email.

Asking $69,000

Cheers,
Brian

1967 Mooney M20E Super 21
SN: 670041
All logs available electronically

Aircraft Times:
- Total Time Airframe: 2814
- Engine SMOH: 428 (July 1998 by Custom Airmotive, Inc. Tulsa, OK)
- STOH: 228 (July 2008) – Received new camshaft, lifters, and cylinders
- New Hartzell “Top Prop” (HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 - no Hub AD) 104 Hours Since New

Features:
- Johnson Bar Manual Gear
- Hydraulic Flaps

- The previous owner was a NASA astronaut (lot's of work away from home) and I've had a few military deployments since I took ownership in 2009. I've flown it 65.3 hours since it came out of the shop this past January (governor overhaul) and 102.5 hours since I came back from my most recent deployment last year. That's why it has low hours SMOH.

- Light hail damage from getting caught on the ground during a storm in Kansas. Noticeable on the elevators and flaps (small dimples) only. No effect on airworthiness, performance, or handling other than possibly making it go faster.

- All numbers are subject to change as aircraft is flying regularly.

Performance:
- Flight plan for 155 KTAS at 10,000 while burning ~8.7 gph @2600 RPM
- Endurance = 5.5 Hrs+ (~650 miles plus reserves)
- Go slow mode – 130 KTAS at 10,000 while burning 6.2 gph @2200 RPM
- Useful load = 941 lbs
- Full Fuel Payload = 623.5 lbs
- Fuel Capacity = 52 gallons (50 gallons useable)

Avionics:
- GNS-430W with GI-106A
- KX155 Com #2 - VOR/Localizer Only
- STEC-30 with Altitude Hold and GPSS
- PMA8000B Audio Panel wired for music and 4-place intercom
- Garmin GTX-327 Transponder (Mode C)
- Garmin 496 mounted with ship power and cross-fill from 430W
- Electronics International UBG-16 Engine Monitor
- Electronics International FP-5L Fuel Computer
- Electronics International Oil Pressure/Oil Temperature Gauge
- Davtron M803 Clock/Voltage/OAT Gauge
- Precision Vertical Compass Card (PAI-700)

Modifications:
- LASAR 201 Windshield Modification
- LASAR Brake Caliper Reversal
- LASAR Lower Cowl Enclosure
- LASAR 201 Wingtips
- Whelen Orion 650 LED navigation and recognition lights
- Whelen LED Belly Strobe (white and red lense)
- Whelen Parmetheus Plus Par 46 LED Landing Light (included, not installed yet)
- Lasar Electronic Ignition System (Champion)
- Standardized Panel

Annual Due Oct 1, 2016
- ELT Battery Due Nov, 1 2017
- IFR Certification Due Feb 1, 2018

- Painted in Feb 2010 by R&B Aircraft in Topeka, KS
- New Leather Interior February 2016

Extras Included:
- Custom Bruce’s Cabin Cover
- Custom Cowl Plugs
- Pitot Static Cover
- Full set of Kennon Sunshades
- T300 LASAR Timing Tool for Magnetos ($700 value)
- Bogart Tow Bar (Best one I've seen for moving aircraft around)

Other Maintenance Items:
- Oil Pressure Transducer Replaced Jun 2016
- Prop governor overhauled Dec 2015
- FP-5L Fuel Transducer Replaced Dec 2015
- New Alternator and Belt January 2014
- New Skytec Starter Installed January 2010
- Landing Gear Biscuits Replaced ~2003/04
- Mooney SB208A Completed Dec 1989
- Engine Exhaust Overhauled 345 hours – Powder Coated in 2013
- Regular Oil Changes every 50 hours or 6 months (Phillips XC 20W50)

597ND 1.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG

saw it over on mooneyspace. real nice looking plane but out of my range. hope it sells quick!

saw it over on mooneyspace. real nice looking plane but out of my range. hope it sells quick!

Thanks! I'm hoping it goes quickly as well since I have my eye on the replacement already. :)

Cheers,
Brian

Nice plane. Exactly what I'll be looking for once I get my IFR and sell my 172.
Well, with the addition of a Garmin 330, exactly what I'm looking for... :)

Damn, this is horrible timing, cant you just wait about a year?

Frickin sweet Mooney. Absolutely love it. I have some time in an F model with the 200 horse and all the good J mods - really nice combination. About the only thing I don't like with these old Mooneys is that damn fuel selector and how you have to go through "off" to change it. Best of luck with the sale!

Huge speed with simple easily maintained systems. I've always said Mooneys give the best bang for the buck in GA. Of the Mooneys the M20E is the best. Short body so you aren't hauling an unused back seat everywhere. And a very nice example of the breed.

This is what they call the "short body" series?

It is in indeed. The next iteration, the M20F, had the fuselage stretched to give a larger back seat. The one before it, the M20C, was in all ways identical except the engine had no fuel injection and produced 20 fewer ponies.

I had questions about how the manual gear is operated. Found a good article by Don Maxwell (one of the Mooney Guru's based at KGGG) that explains it.

It does take a bit to get used to. I never had trouble swinging the bar (and you can ask anyone who's met me, I definitely qualify is a tiny little guy) but I've had a bit of trouble in the past locking it on the floor.

I see "super 21" painted on the gear door. What does this mean?

I see "super 21" painted on the gear door. What does this mean?

It was just a marketing name for the model. The M20C was also known as the Mark 21, so with the upgrade in engine from 180hp to 200hp on the E models, Mooney termed it the Super 21. The name changed to "Chapparal" with the 1969 M20E. The M20E was not produced during the 1968 model year.

Good website that outlines all of the changes to the entire line through the years: http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

For the gear, I can swing a full cycle in less than 5 seconds. Nothing special and is stone simple to maintain. All linkages with no motors to burn out or replace. This is one aspect of the plane that I will greatly miss!!

Cheers,
Brian

Doesn't that mean it has the fancy little "ram air" door you can open in cruise for a bit more manifold pressure?

Not sure if that is what it's tied to (see note above), but mine does have the RAM Air option, which I rarely use. I usually see a boost of almost 1" of manifold pressure at 11,000 feet when I do use it. You can see the opening for it in the frontal photo above. It's located next to the landing light and just above the air filter intake.

Cheers,
Brian

It is in indeed. The next iteration, the M20F, had the fuselage stretched to give a larger back seat. The one before it, the M20C, was in all ways identical except the engine had no fuel injection and produced 20 fewer ponies.
There was also the M20G "Statesman" -- it combined the longer M20F fuselage with the smaller M20C engine. Performance was disappointing and not many were built.

m20g_1968.jpg

And don't forget another rare one, the fixed-gear M20D "Master" -- just like a M20C, but with fixed gear and standard fixed prop. It was designed to be "convertible" to retractable, and as far as I know there are only a couple of them still around in fixed-gear configuration.

m20d_1965.jpg

For the gear, I can swing a full cycle in less than 5 seconds. Nothing special and is stone simple to maintain. All linkages with no motors to burn out or replace. This is one aspect of the plane that I will greatly miss!!

Yup. The swing goes really fast. Like I said, I have had problems locking the bar to the floor, probably due to my diminutive stature and equally diminutive limbs.
And don't forget another rare one, the fixed-gear M20D "Master" -- just like a M20C, but with fixed gear and standard fixed prop. It was designed to be "convertible" to retractable, and as far as I know there are only a couple of them still around in fixed-gear configuration.

At the time you could buy an M20D and have it converted to retractable gear for less money than buying an M20C. That's why there are only a few left with the fixed gear.

Beautiful bird and flawless interior. I know she won't sit around long!

Just showed this to my wife. She said get it...but....I would have to sell the cherokee first. So..I'll pass for now. Great looking bird with everything I want!

Why the new cylinders not long after overhual ?

The aircraft had a period of limited use under the previous owner (he flew big rockets for NASA as his day job....). Not sure what spurred him to do it, but he had Lone Star Aero in TX accomplish the work prior to selling it to me in 2009. No issues since then during my ownership.

Cheers,
Brian

Just showed this to my wife. She said get it...but....I would have to sell the cherokee first. So..I'll pass for now. Great looking bird with everything I want!
Did your Cherokee come from my neck of the woods?

Good shop. Our club uses him.

I dunno about the club... but I've been thinking about having a simple to own/operate aircraft such as the PA28's. Just not able to pull that trigger at this moment.

Had the chance to fly the Mooney one last time on Friday while delivering it to the new owners in SoCal. I'm going to miss the old gal.

New bird gets picked up on Wednesday though. :) I'll update my photo when I get some decent shots later this week.

Cheers,
Brian

Man, that's a really nice looking E. Late to the thread, but someone got a creampuff. Sorry you had to sell her, but hope you got the one you said you had your eye on.

Thanks, I did... :)

Waiting in Denver now to catch my flight to St. Louis. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can avoid the thunderstorms without to much hassle.

Cheers,
Brian

So, after being without a plane for a whooping 3 days, I closed on our next plane this afternoon and the keys are in my pocket.... :)

I'll get better pictures when I go back for the transition training in the morning.

Cheers,
Brian

2567120_orig.jpg

I have quite a bit of time in a super 21. Great airplane including the gear which is easy to get used to , positive and quick. Just a great airplane, fun to fly. Not to mention....it boogies. I think your price is reasonable. It should go quickly on barnstormers and tap.

I have quite a bit of time in a super 21. Great airplane including the gear which is easy to get used to , positive and quick. Just a great airplane, fun to fly. Not to mention....it boogies. I think your price is reasonable. It should go quickly on barnstormers and tap.

Thanks Jimmy. It was actually under contract a week after I listed it on Controller and then delivered last Friday to the new owner in SoCal. Didn't have to pay for the ad, but it did sell, hence the updated "Sold" in the title... :D;)

Cheers,
Brian

Back