Triple Tree time again!

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
The annual Triple Tree fly in is NEXT weekend at SC00. Who all is going? I plan to go Saturday morning and will be flying my Orange Grumman Yankee.

Last edited:
The annual Triple Tree fly in is this weekend at SC00. Who all is going? I plan to go Saturday morning and will be flying my Orange Grumman Yankee.
I think you might want to double check the date. My calendar shows it is the following weekend. 7-11 Sep.

I was going to go, but have reserve drill weekend then.

The Venture is so fast it gets there a week early. I'm supposed to go with DrBill (of mooneyspace) in his Mooney that Saturday as well. .

A bunch of wise guys I see. Yea I got a week ahead of my self. And no Venture at Triple Tree, she is not grass friendly.

I have heard that Triple Tree is as smooth and level as it gets. Like landing on polo fields.

I have heard that Triple Tree is as smooth and level as it gets. Like landing on polo fields.

It is for the most part but I'm touching down at 70-80 knots with 10" diameter tires. The landing gear links are Aluminum and the nose gear is supporting an IO-550 w/ constant speed propeller plus some gas, plane weight, and passengers. Not a chance I am willing to take. One year at Oshkosh a Venture had a nose gear collapse while taxing in the grass. Now all the Venture owners hang big signs in the windows that says "No Grass Taxi". There have been a few RV's get damage at triple tree from hidden holes or crossing a ditch and catching the prop on the ground.

It is for the most part but I'm touching down at 70-80 knots with 10" diameter tires. The landing gear links are Aluminum and the nose gear is supporting an IO-550 w/ constant speed propeller plus some gas, plane weight, and passengers. Not a chance I am willing to take. One year at Oshkosh a Venture had a nose gear collapse while taxing in the grass. Now all the Venture owners hang big signs in the windows that says "No Grass Taxi". There have been a few RV's get damage at triple tree from hidden holes or crossing a ditch and catching the prop on the ground.
Makes sense. Personally, I like to stick with tailwheels for grass.

I'm going to try to squeeze in Sunday morning for the last day. Hopefully people are packing up when I arrive.

I'm going to try to squeeze in Sunday morning for the last day. Hopefully people are packing up when I arrive.

I would check the schedule....if I remember there's almost nothing going on on Sunday but I could be wrong.

I would check the schedule....if I remember there's almost nothing going on on Sunday but I could be wrong.
Well you're right, airport closes at 1pm. Maybe I can switch my son's birthday party to Sunday. The party doesn't NEED to be ON his exact birthday.

I'd love to fly in for the day on Sat. Will see if my schedule works out for it!

bump, just for fun. reviewed the arrival/departure procedures today, pretty straight forward. looking forward to this. next time will plan on camping, this time it's just a day trip.

Found a dangerously frayed hand brake cable... 4 of the 7 strands were broken - under the floor board behind the bottom pulley...

Just have to get it up on jacks to get the bolt for the bottom pulley out to re-string it

Should be 30 minutes work tomorrow morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My trip may be in jeopardy too. Grumman has felt week ever since getting it back from annual. Got to check the valve lash to make sure he didn't over tighten them. Going to try to get to it this week.

I'm shooting for Friday and maybe Saturday if the weather cooperates and I can get off of work. I went flying this afternoon. Afterward I topped off the gas and dry-washed the plane so I will be sitting on 'G' and ready for 'O' on Friday.

How are the camping facilities at Triple Tree? I camped with my plane at Sun N Fun and enjoyed it. Triple Tree is close enough to home that I can easily fly back and forth Friday and Saturday so I was not sure whether it would be worth the trouble to camp.

Camping is fantastic especially if you get there early enough to get a spot in the shade. Shower houses are nicer than some hotel rooms. The big gazebo has power outlets for charging electronics.

I've never camped there but have always heard great things about the place.

I managed to get off work tomorrow, so I'm definitely headed that way. Has anybody else been yet?

Weird. I was going and now I'm not. You weren't going and now you are. Welcome to general aviation!

Got delayed due to the starter on 90P going south, but planning to head down tomorrow afternoon.

Just got back from Triple Tree a little while ago. I had a great time but it was really hot. They had some good seminars and a lot of neat airplanes. The facilities there are great. If you have never been, you need to put it on your bucket list.

View from hangars on north side looking back over lake towards pavilion and parking area.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 29
No, you can not fly in for Joe Nail week. I called a couple of years ago and asked. The RC flyers fully occupy the place.

Back