Which Tablet to Replace Nexus 7

gear.check

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gear.check
My 20-month old Nexus 7 (2013) just entered the Google-screen-of-death mode and won't reset/reboot/recover. Asus wants $201 and change to repair it; the repair comes with a 90-day warranty. Apparently this is a well-known issue in the Google/Asus world. Before I spend $200 to fix an old tablet that is only guaranteed to work for 90 days, I'd like to consider a non-Asus solution. I've read good things about some of the Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets, especially ones with the Amoled screen or super Amoled screen, but there are so many versions to choose from that it is hard to know what's what. So I thought I'd ask what POA members are happy with in a cockpit environment. I'd prefer to stay in the 7-8" range because that's what works in my Grumman Tiger. I'd also like a bright screen. Please advise.

My 20-month old Nexus 7 (2013) just entered the Google-screen-of-death mode and won't reset/reboot/recover. Asus wants $201 and change to repair it; the repair comes with a 90-day warranty. Apparently this is a well-known issue in the Google/Asus world. Before I spend $200 to fix an old tablet that is only guaranteed to work for 90 days, I'd like to consider a non-Asus solution. I've read good things about some of the Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets, especially ones with the Amoled screen or super Amoled screen, but there are so many versions to choose from that it is hard to know what's what. So I thought I'd ask what POA members are happy with in a cockpit environment. I'd prefer to stay in the 7-8" range because that's what works in my Grumman Tiger. I'd also like a bright screen. Please advise.

After my Nexus 7 died, I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4", with the Amoled screen, Model SM-T700.

Pros:
It is the best, brightest, truly sunlight readable screen available. Way brighter and crisper than the N7 or iPad.

It has a truly terrific snap on (the snap receptacles are designed into the back of the Tab S) cover that provides good protection, turns the screen off automatically when closed, and gives you a "book cover" to hold onto when desired.

It is FAST. No lag, at all, ever.

It has expandable memory. All of my charts are on the SD card, leaving internal memory free.

The camera is way better than the specs describe. It takes excellent pix.

Cons:
Price. When I bought it, it was as expensive as an IPAD mini.

Of course, it was technically superior to the iPad in every way, so this makes sense -- but the good old days of the Nexus 7 being the "bargain basement iPad alternative" are gone.

Prices may have come down. You'll have to shop around.

That's the only con I can think of. I'm in my second year with this tablet, and still love it.

I recently replaced my 7" Samsung with an ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA). First, it is an 8", but it is physically about the same size as most 7". They do this by taking the screen almost completely to the edge, whereas most tablets give you a 1/4 inch margin or more. This is fine if it is mounted in the plane, but when trying to hold it in your hand(s), it is easy to touch the screen, accidentally launching an app, or doing some other calamity. Second, the Asus is thinner and cheaply built. Again, this is fine if you are using it mounted in the aircraft, but it is not as rugged as the Samsung models (my old one, or the newer models). The ASUS is FAST, has lots of ram, the screen is as bright as my old Sammy, and can be expanded easily as can most Androids. It also has a pretty good internal GPS. Not as good as any of my old Samsung tablets, which would immediately tell me what room I was in on the first floor of my 3 story house, but in the same scenario, it is good enough to tell me I am in the house. No problem in the airplane however. It is plenty good.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase and very happy with its operation in the plane, but I know its limitations (cheaply built and probably easily broken) and I compensate by handling the tablet carefully.

Edit: I just re-read what I wrote and you're probably wondering why I didn't buy a Samsung like Jay did. I believe the Samsung is equal or superior in every way except physical size. I mount the tablet on the far left side of the panel against the "A Pillar" on the pilot's side, effectively blocking my clock and vacuum gauge, but still leaving the airspeed indicator and turn and bank fully visible. I would eat into the turn and bank and airspeed indicator with any wider tablet, and certainly with the 8.4" Sammy, so the 8" ASUS is the largest screen I could fit in the space available. You can look here to see how I had my 7" Samsung mounted, and my new 8" Asus takes about the same amount of room.

Last edited:
I second the T700

If you are technically inclined, I'd wipe it and re-image it with a fresh install of the latest android. I can help you if you need it.

I recently replaced my 7" Samsung with an ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA). First, it is an 8", but it is physically about the same size as most 7". They do this by taking the screen almost completely to the edge, whereas most tablets give you a 1/4 inch margin or more. This is fine if it is mounted in the plane, but when trying to hold it in your hand(s), it is easy to touch the screen, accidentally launching an app, or doing some other calamity. Second, the Asus is thinner and cheaply built. Again, this is fine if you are using it mounted in the aircraft, but it is not as rugged as the Samsung models (my old one, or the newer models). The ASUS is FAST, has lots of ram, the screen is as bright as my old Sammy, and can be expanded easily as can most Androids. It also has a pretty good internal GPS. Not as good as any of my old Samsung tablets, which would immediately tell me what room I was in on the first floor of my 3 story house, but in the same scenario, it is good enough to tell me I am in the house. No problem in the airplane however. It is plenty good.

All in all, I am happy with the purchase and very happy with its operation in the plane, but I know its limitations (cheaply built and probably easily broken) and I compensate by handling the tablet carefully.

Edit: I just re-read what I wrote and you're probably wondering why I didn't buy a Samsung like Jay did. I believe the Samsung is equal or superior in every way except physical size. I mount the tablet on the far left side of the panel against the "A Pillar" on the pilot's side, effectively blocking my clock and vacuum gauge, but still leaving the airspeed indicator and turn and bank fully visible. I would eat into the turn and bank and airspeed indicator with any wider tablet, and certainly with the 8.4" Sammy, so the 8" ASUS is the largest screen I could fit in the space available. You can look here to see how I had my 7" Samsung mounted, and my new 8" Asus takes about the same amount of room.
Vacuum gauge. ..what's that ?

I'm disgusted with my Nexus 7. For the last few months I have to reboot every day for it to function. Tried an almost total major reset. Took a long time and had to reorganize a lot, lost my screensaver, blah, blah blah....did squat. Have good protection and keep the misc. files cleared etc. Just getting tired of screwing with it. Glad to gear the Samsung, like my big tablet that works great, is brighter in a canopy environment. Gotta look there. Thanks for the info on that guys!

If you are technically inclined, I'd wipe it and re-image it with a fresh install of the latest android. I can help you if you need it.

This. Odds are good it's fixable to as good-as-new stage or better, since the latest version is better. No need to send to factory unless it's visibly broken from the outside. It's actually fairly easy to crack open to check the insides too (look for youtubes), e.g. to tighten a loose connector and perhaps replace a bad battery.
Very happy overall with my two 2013 N7's.

When my gen 1 N7 bricked I got a '13. Still going strong in spite of the bloatware I have loaded on it.

My gen 1 N7 has gotten so bad that major apps (Garmin Pilot, Facebook, Kindle, etc.) take multiple attempts before they'll start up. And it is SLOW. So, I replaced it a couple days ago. Costco has the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8 inch display) for $189.99. The only problem is that it only has 16 GBytes of storage. However, it has a uSD slot and Costco is selling 64 GByte uSD cards for $19.99. So, for about $210 I've got a new tablet running Garmin Pilot, etc. Works like gangbusters.

BTW, my wife's gen 2 N7 is going strong.

Pretty sure my gen 1 died of internal organ failure. I got some utilities that let me get way down into the guts and it couldn't get past the power-on self test.

Any opinions on the new Nvidia Shield K1? It is supposed to be great for gaming, but I don't know how it would perform in a cockpit environment.

Every once in a while some Android phones and tablets will enter a mode where they are off and a 5 to 7 second press of the start button doesn't work. BUT holding it down 30 seconds brings them back up.

ASUS makes a MemoPad 7 that they meant to sell to Google as the new generation of Nexus 7. It's much faster than the 2013 Nexus 7, and has a better battery life. It has a couple of downsides though. First, ASUS used an Intel CPU, so apps that include coded components do not work (it may happen to video players). Second, idiots at ASUS sell several distinct families of tablets under the MemoPad 7 moniker, and most of them are utter junk. An extreme care has to be taken to identify the good versions at purchase time. If you hold it in your hand, you can tell it instantly by looking at the screen, especially if you have the old Nexus 7. The screen should be 1920x1200.

Finally sick and tired of rebooting my Nexus 7, now twice a day....
Just ordered the Samsung 8.4S. Look forward to being able to see it in the cockpit! My large Samsung has been bulletproof for a couple years.
Thanks for the lead Jay!

Finally sick and tired of rebooting my Nexus 7, now twice a day....
Just ordered the Samsung 8.4S. Look forward to being able to see it in the cockpit! My large Samsung has been bulletproof for a couple years.
Thanks for the lead Jay!
You will love it. I use mine all day, every day, both at home and in the cockpit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back