No APU....

Why would you like one on your flight if you do not know if it is a big deal or not???? Makes no sense.

And no, it is not a big deal.

Ha! - so kind.... - because I know what an APU is, and I know what it does, but I do (did) not know its role on any checklists of a 717-200.

if that doesn't work try... bored, and curious - knowing there is a wealth of knowledgable folks at my fingertips on POA.

That is all.

considering the typical boarding to push time in my recent experience, dang skippy I want that APU. The ramp sweaties and their "$10/hr doesn't buy my undivided attention, Robert" life philosophy on work ethic ain't gonna do ya much good on minute 45 since you got crammed in the tube and still waiting for ground air in with a RH of 80%. Yeah buddy, APUs should be in the pax bill o' rights or something :D

Take that up with your boss.

If it's a BS request, I'm sure I'll get a call from him/her. But in the meantime, I'll be flying a different airframe.

And yes, this is a primma donna attitude that I'm sure you guys hate, but I've only pulled this card once in my career, so cut me some slack. :)

If it's a BS request, I'm sure I'll get a call from him/her. But in the meantime, I'll be flying a different airframe.

And yes, this is a primma donna attitude that I'm sure you guys hate, but I've only pulled this card once in my career, so cut me some slack. :)

Nah, a real prima donnas was the captain at Pinnacle (now Endeavor) who wanted to refuse a CRJ because the autopilot was deferred and he would have had to hand fly the ENTIRE 2 hour flight. Well, prima donna might not be accurate. Putz is more like it. I made one call to the chief pilot and just a few minutes later, the guy miraculously decided he was able to do it. Amazing.

APU's inop are more common than you probably might think, in the summer time a little less because the planes tend to get hot quick and even ground air at the gate often doesn't do a good job with a full old of pax on it.

In flight, and most of the time right after both engines are started we shut the APU down, it's just burning more of my gas for no added benifit really. We typically only keep it on during flight if there is another MEL which require it and/or one of its components that it runs to be on

When I see an inop APU it's no big deal, first thing I think is great it's going to be hot! Other than that just gotta start an engine up at the gate, do a crossbleed for the other (if I don't start it at the gate) and make sure ground power is plugged in before shutting the engines down! Now depending on why it's mel'd there may be a few other things but nothing to worry about by any means

i used to hate INOP APUs because of the extra work required of the ground personnel. Air cart, ground power, and air conditioning/heater. It could create a real Chinese fire drill with several aircraft needing the equipment at the same time and not having a set for each gate.

Lose an engine generator and most checklists have you starting the APU. If an engine generator is deferred most APUs have to be run also, all for that APU generator.

Not in the only jet I flew with an APU, the Falcon 50EX. The APU couldn't be used in flight.

Back