GNS 530 / GTX 345

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Hi party people.

So I was talking to my avionics guy about having to upgrade my GNS 530 to a 530W. He got all excited-like and started extolling the virtues of the GTX 345 all in one solution. Said it'll probably require new cables, but otherwise it's a perfect all-in-one solution for me to not have to spend the money to upgrade the 530.

Well I was doing some reading today and it seems like that is some nonsensical BS. If I got the 345, it would certainly give me IN and OUT capability, but it'd do eff all for giving me traffic or anything useful on the 530.

Is this correct? Looks like I'm gonna have to do the WAAS upgrade, then just pick a different (cheaper) transponder.

I think your information is partially correct.

You should get traffic (8 targets is memory serves) and (some) weather on the GNS530 from the GTX345.

To WAAS or Not-to-WAAS comes down to your need for precision GPS approaches. If you want them, your GN530 is going to the shop for an upgrade. Period.

How do I know? 2 planes with GNS430's and figuring out how to be compliant and add on those nifty approaches. We're probably going to go with the WAAS updates and Lynx transponders for the mandate.

You may have to update the 530 to get a software version that will support those GTX345 (in) products.

All these configuration tables, what software, what functions are supported, are buried in the installation dealer files at you local Garmin dealer.

I'd be asking Garmin if there is a "drop dead date" to get a 530 upgrade to WAAS.

Or you could use a portable device (GTX345 supports two wireless simultaneously) and use those as your new displays for the ADS-B (in) products.

A 530W + 345 sounds like a nice combo to me. What's not to like?

I'd be asking Garmin if there is a "drop dead date" to get a 530 upgrade to WAAS.

I've never heard of this, despite everyone who upgraded their $tuff claiming it was so.

Personally I wouldn't be a early adopter, never has historically been a good idea.

That said, if you must, you could just get a navworx for $1499, minus the $500 rebate and be done with it, only reason Ive kept my eye on that box is because it goes anonymous when set to 1200 vs sending your personal info out, to me that's a large safety improvement.

http://www.navworx.com

AutoStealth(tm) Mode:
The UAT technology is the only ADS-B equipment that will allow for privacy. Normally, ADS-B devices transmit the aircrafts ICAO number, a unique code that is assigned by the FAA to each aircraft. When flying VFR however, there is no need to let the FAA know who you are. The ADS600-EXP randomizes the ICAO whenever the squawk code is set to 1200. In addition, the N-Number of the aircraft configured is changed to "N0", an unassigned N-Number.

Plus you get wx and traffic on your GNS, and iPad too if you go wifi
GENERAL:
The ADS600-B offers full ADS-B OUT (transmit), and IN (receive) capabilites, deliverying traffic and weather to displays connected via optional WIFI and/or RS-232 serial channel. Sends Traffic & Weather to popular iPad apps like Seattle Avionics FlyQ, Hilton WingX, and iFly. Displays on non-proprietary systems such as Advanced Flight Displays (AFS), and Grand Rapid Technologies (GRT) EFIS's, Certified MFDs (e.g. Garmin 430, Avidyne EX500) with ARINC option, Chelton IDU-1, iFly 700/720/etc, and traffic only on Garmin GPSMAP 396/496/696/etc.

Standard features include a compliant internal WAAS GPS, RS232 channel for an external altitude encoder, RS232 and RS422 interfaces for a variety display devices, and a secure slide-lock attachment for the DB37 system connector

To WAAS or Not-to-WAAS comes down to your need for precision GPS approaches. If you want them, your GN530 is going to the shop for an upgrade. Period.

How do I know? 2 planes with GNS430's and figuring out how to be compliant and add on those nifty approaches. We're probably going to go with the WAAS updates and Lynx transponders for the mandate.

Per the WAAS thing, I like WAAS, more for the pseudo glide slopes than for the lower mins, even flying hard winter IFR like 90% of the time I don't NEED the couple hundred feed lower WAAS mins.

Last edited:
Per the WAAS thing, I like WAAS, more for the pseudo glide slopes than for the lower mins, even flying hard winter IFR like 90% of the time I don't NEED the couple hundred feed lower WAAS mins.

Probably another High Wing / Low Wing conversation. I don't know that the precision GPS approach is 'better' than a step down approach. There are 14 members and some have very strong opinions towards precision. I'm on the fence. (But my RV is 430W)

My main concern is getting traffic and ADS-B in and out. I don't have my IFR ticket in any event, so precision vs non-precision GPS is all greek to me. Seems like I'd be best served on the cheap by getting the Navworx unit and plugging my existing 327 into it.

I mean I'd love the 530W/345 combo. But if you had the 530W, don't think you'd need the 345 for any reason. You could still get the W and the Navworx unit and be set. For considerably less moolah.

I mean I'd love the 530W/345 combo. But if you had the 530W, don't think you'd need the 345 for any reason. You could still get the W and the Navworx unit and be set. For considerably less moolah.

Completely agree. So much so that I'm waiting until December 2019 to do anything about ADS-B out in my RV. More options will enter the market and since it's E-AB I don't have to worry about the "shop scheduling" BS that is being used for advertising.

Probably another High Wing / Low Wing conversation. I don't know that the precision GPS approach is 'better' than a step down approach. There are 14 members and some have very strong opinions towards precision. I'm on the fence. (But my RV is 430W)

The complimentary glideslope you get on some approaches makes for a much cleaner approach, period, also smoother if you're using a coupled AP.

The WAAS is a better box, but money wise, unless you need those ILS level mins, you should be OK with a non WAAS, see how many times you couldn't get in with WAAS and make your mind up from there.

Now if you need to blow a couple grand, WAASing a GNS ain't a bad way to go

Completely agree. So much so that I'm waiting until December 2019 to do anything about ADS-B out in my RV. More options will enter the market and since it's E-AB I don't have to worry about the "shop scheduling" BS that is being used for advertising.

Is anything other than a Garmin transponder capable of putting traffic and wx on the 530's display?

I currently have traffic on my phone and tablet via my stratux box, but I'd like in/out for the info on my GNS. And I don't see a cost effective way of doing that short term without blowing money unnecessarily on a dead end upgrade path.

If I got a transponder that did TIS now, and then IN/OUT later, that'd be money down the drain.

Straight upgrading the 530 to 530W would be a nice to have with the faster GPS update rate, but I can't see a use much beyond that.

If I get the GTX 345, I get ads-b in/out, then I get traffic/weather on my GNS, right? But that does nothing for the GNS's guts. And getting that is a 6k investment, when the GNS530W upgrade is 3k and the Navworx transponder is another what... 2 installed? So for 1,000 less I can get more.

Is anything other than a Garmin transponder capable of putting traffic and wx on the 530's display?

The Navworx thing says it interfaces with the GNS series.

I just searched the GTX3X5 installation manual (Rev 3) for "GNS" nowhere does it imply or mention the non-WAAS radios being supported. All interconnect drawings and functionallity tables specifically say 430W/530W

Considered? Wire the 530 to a gtx345 with the intent of upgrading to waas later?

I'm seriously thinking GTX345 with internal GPS then when I get a WAAS/LPV navigator just moving the GPS antenna coax from the GTX345 to the GTN650. Then if the 650 dies for any reason and needs to be sent out I can hook that GPS antenna coax back up to the GTX345

Guess you missed my post, the navworx will do this.

So then you gain ADS-B out by getting the 345 if you have a non-WAAS GNS 530. You don't get traffic. You don't get weather. You get a WAAS GPS?

But you get a WAAS GPS source at twice the cost of upgrading the 530? Seems pretty cost ineffective.

Guess you missed my post, the navworx will do this.

Yes, but be sure to look and find any fine print. It seems like the data displayed from navworx depends on the display its wired to.

So then you gain ADS-B out by getting the 345 if you have a non-WAAS GNS 530. You don't get traffic. You don't get weather. You get a WAAS GPS?

But you get a WAAS GPS source at twice the cost of upgrading the 530? Seems pretty cost ineffective.

the 345 traffic & weather don't appear to worrk on the GNS530, but you can get it wirelessly from the 345 to other devices. (could sell the stratus, even with the navworx)

Yes, but be sure to look and find any fine print. It seems like the data displayed from navworx depends on the display its wired to.

But in the case of the GNS, if I'm reading this right, you get all the ADSB goodies on the screen.

Right now I'm between ESing my 330, or navworx, or not going to ADSB, my only complaint with the navworx is the extra box, wires and weight I'd have to haul around.

The ES is almost a no go due to saftey issues with it broadcasting the way it does.

Nothing is another option, with where and how I fly, ADSB isn't dealt the end all.

I'll be waiting till mid year 2019.

530 + Navworx is actually physically more labor IMHO. Navworx will be a remote mounted box wiring and coaxes and you'll be adding an additional GPS antenna (assuming you aren't going 530W you need another GPS antenna), and you'll be adding an additional transponder antenna.

Assuming the current 530 antenna meets spacing requirements and has the appropriate coax installed going 530W would mean only GPS antenna swap, then you can feed position data to the GTX or the Navworx.

How you do ADS-B will determine if you'll need long wires to the tailcone and additional transponder antenna (navworx) or just wiring up front (gtx)

Last edited:
Next question, what encoder do you have? The navworx appears to require one that supports RS232 or ARINC 429, my 11 wire encoder would not work with it, so that could be an unexpected cost.

The ES is almost a no go due to saftey issues with it broadcasting the way it does.
Can you expand on that comment? We have a 330 and I understood the ES upgrade was one of our options. Sounds like there is more to the story with. ES?

It seems like the Navworx offers MORE traffic targets than the GTX 345 for the GNS series. How is that even a thing!?

Can you expand on that comment? We have a 330 and I understood the ES upgrade was one of our options. Sounds like there is more to the story with. ES?

The moment you fire your avoinics up with ADSB units such as the 330ES it's sending your registration to anyone listening, frankly I doubt you'd buy a car that sent anyone a number they could look up in 10 minutes and get your (likley) name and home address, I also doubt, especially in light of recent events, folks would want the government to have the ability to very easily see their every move, and without warrent track their cars every movement. If this would not be acceptable to the average America driving a pickup, I really can't accept it in my plane.

Even as a law abiding guy, who doesn't even really have any enemies, in my experience, with the BS I've seen, I'd rather not ALWAYS be sending that type of information out, I just don't have that type of faith in government or busy bodies anymore, YMMV

It seems like the Navworx offers MORE traffic targets than the GTX 345 for the GNS series. How is that even a thing!?

"... MAXIMUM of 31 traffic targets...display manufacturer (think Garmin software) may limit number of traffic targets."

Sounds to me like navworxs has no control over that so it may or may not.

Garmin GNS 530 Pilot's Manual & Reference Page 218, indicates that TIS is limited to 8 targets, the brand new GTX345 + 530w is limited to 8 targets, I'm betting the navwork is limited to 8 targets...

Back