NA Checking blank HDD function

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
(I am told by HP) The hard drive in my HP Elite 8000 died so I ordered a new one. The computer is a refurb and did not come with a system-restore disk but HP says $10, they will send. I was hoping to confirm the computer is functioning before having that sent so I installed the replacement HDD and started it up. HP tech says, make sure the bios is working or something like that.
Upon startup with the new disk; "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready." Certainly the new HDD is ok. Do I need the OS disk to ensure everything is working?

Also, a note with the new disk say to format it before using. The linked instructions seem to have Windows installed on the example disk they are using.

That message, "non-system disk or disk error" indicates the firmware of the PC is working to the point that it's trying to load an operating system from the hard drive. The blank HD triggers that message.

Ok thanks Matthew.
So nothing there to suggest there is anything wrong with the computer or the HDD.
Any ideas on how to test any part of the computer with the available components?
Or maybe I should just have the OS sent out.
Thanks.

Not really much else to do unless you have some bootable utilities. The power on self test (POST) completes before the OS is loaded.

You might be able to get into the CMOS setup and enable an extended POST if you can find a setting for that.

Not worth worrying about it until the install media shows up, at $10.

It'll either work or it won't, and you're out less than the cost of a burger and fries and a coke. :)

Not worth worrying about it until the install media shows up, at $10.

It'll either work or it won't, and you're out less than the cost of a burger and fries and a coke. :)

And then you can do this with the old drive:

target-practice-hard-drives.jpg

Rich

I think I will open the bad drive and fix it. I have a very good pair of vice grips and a 18" slot screwdriver. Where should I look for the trouble?

Or you can send them to Hillary. She's an expert!

Using hammers on 13 blackberries and 5 iPads does not impress me as a good way to destroy state secrets, an expert would have used a shredder. :)

Using hammers on 13 blackberries and 5 iPads does not impress me as a good way to destroy state secrets, an expert would have used a shredder. :)

I tried that once, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get them into that little slot.

Rich

Back