Step 2 - Tailwheel, Complex/HP or Sea?

For acro, if you're CA, go north to the Sean Tucker school in King City, or go east and see if you can luck out and get Patty Wagstaf to do some work with you in FL.

When are you thinking of going down there?

Im going down the 1st of October to do the SES at Browns. Then doing the glider add on at Seminole lakes, then doing the MES with Chester on the 14th.

Definitely instrument. But not the actual training. Just start studying the ground, and practice flying with precision. Get to know your avionics, especially what your GPS can do. Go up with a CFII and learn how to shoot an approach without the hood. Then you can end all your flights with practice approaches remaining VFR. And do it all while racking up cross country time. Then you'll be ready to tackle your instrument rating.

Everyone always says how much more difficult the instrument rating is to get, and how much better a pilot it made them. I didn't believe it, and didn't really prepare for it during my first 2 years of flying. (Other than racking up a lot of cross country time.) I really wish I would have, because they weren't lying. The instrument training is very challenging.

Well, the thing that really helped pilot quality was the instrument scan, and the concept of primary/supporting instruments. Without that, the approach is going to be problematic. Bad habits can be hard to unlearn.

Im going down the 1st of October to do the SES at Browns. Then doing the glider add on at Seminole lakes, then doing the MES with Chester on the 14th.
Sounds like you will be busy. Good luck. I probably won't do the MES until later in the year.

I did my MES with Ricci at Winterhaven airport in the Twin-Bee. I'd definitely suggest that as an option for MES. Not too many options for MES other than those 2 really.

If you continue to want to do the seaplane thing (which you will) go see Lyle at seaplane safety institute. Not only will he show you how to fly seaplanes like a commercial operator does but he'll also put you in the dunk tank and flip you upside down in a helicopter fuselage. It's the best seaplane training available.

If there's a local TW airplane and CFI available I highly recommend that as your next step. Not only is it easy and a lot of fun, it will likely improve your landing skills significantly. If you do go that route, make sure the CFI is fairly well experienced. There are some CFIs who will teach TW but don't know how to draw the line between keeping you safe and teaching efficiently. Also someone who's been flying various TW airplanes for a long time probably has considerably more wisdom to offer. You may be able to find a FBO that will allow solo rentals if you train with them and once you've got another 10-20 hours of TW time you can probably rent anything considered docile (e.g. Cub, Citabria, Champ, etc) with just a regular checkout. Beyond that there may come a day when you'd like to try your hand at a biplane and/or aerobatics and that pretty much means flying a TW airplane.

ASES is a lot of fun but renting a floatplane is both difficult and expensive. The number of hours needed for the rating isn't much different than the TW endorsement but unlike TW, does require a checkride. The cost for an ASES rating is likely two to three times what a TW endoresment will cost and unless you find an opportunity to fly floats after the rating the skills will atrophy fast leaving you with a big hole in your wallet and nothing to show for it but another line on your certificate and some fond memories.

One other option that hasn't been mentioned AFaIK, is a glider rating. Transitioning from ASEL to glider is fairly easy, loads of fun, and not terribly expensive especially if you can find a local club to join. As an added bonus, most sailplanes are effectively TW (but very docile on the ground) so you'd be halfway to the TW endorsement skillwise if you completed a glider rating. You wouldn't even have to get the rating, a solo endorsement in a glider is really easy for a ASEL pilot and even if you use a commercial operator instead of a club it's not gonna break the bank.

What is the name of the place? I'm seriously contemplating doing a MES course and I love Maine.

The old lady is from just outside Portland. I have to agree it is really nice up there, looking forward to doing some flying up there soon...only thing is the kilometers on the highway signs up there, drives me crazy.

Not to get off subject OP, I highly suggest the instrument, but that is definitely more of a commitment unless you do a fire hose course. I say complex, that is next for me since I just finished my IR. But would really like to do tail wheel too. Old timers tell me (as I have seen some others post on here) is great for rudder skills and from what I gather will make you a better pilot, as will any advanced ratings/endorsements.

Back