Traded in my Plastic for Paper

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I passed my IR Checkride today. Woo hoo! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I did my Checkride this morning out of RHP. The forecast was showing some fog in the morning so I decided to fly up last night and get a hotel.

Oral did not have anything unexpected. Examiner followed the ACS printout and asked some questions out of the red book. Asked about the enroute chart and I had to look up one or two symbols but knew most of them.

The ride was from RHP to TYS. We did the ILS 23L and then partial panel VOR 23L with the procedure turn, then back toward RHP. Changed over to squawk VFR, and did steep turns under the hood and unusual attitudes on the way back. Clouds were building and were in the area of the RHP approach, and I called ATL center but they were too busy to let me have a pop up without filing. No problem, contacted Macon flight service over the Harris VOR and filed. Contacted atl got the clearance, did the hold and flew through some actual on the GPS 8 into RHP. Did a circle to land to 26.

Examiner punched a hole in my cert and gave me a white piece of paper! I was pretty worn out and just flew VFR back to my base LZU.

Nice job. I go to RHP occasionally. It was a bit foggy in the area this morning. Think they were IFR in Blairsville and MVFR in Murphy.

Nice job. I go to RHP occasionally. It was a bit foggy in the area this morning. Think they were IFR in Blairsville and MVFR in Murphy.

Ahh so you are one of the helos that are flying low around there. I saw someone on ADSB like 4000ft below me the other day out there and was thinking, who the heck is flying that low? Once I spotted the traffic, sure enough, a chopper. I bet that's a fun area to fly low in.

Congrats!
Getting that clearance via VOR while hand-flying under the hood must have been a chore. Good work!

Congrats I was based at LZU for a few days of my training last winter. Was a nice flight to CHA every day.

Congrats!
Getting that clearance via VOR while hand-flying under the hood must have been a chore. Good work!

Yea and Macon flight service did not do me any favors on that one. It was a bit of a struggle to get them to understand what I wanted, but it all worked out. Total of 2.2 on the Hobbs and 2.0 of instrument time.

Good job! Now go out and fly to keep your currency and proficiency!

Ahh so you are one of the helos that are flying low around there. I saw someone on ADSB like 4000ft below me the other day out there and was thinking, who the heck is flying that low? Once I spotted the traffic, sure enough, a chopper. I bet that's a fun area to fly low in.

Well, low but we do have company / 135 hard deck requirements. Military jets frequent the VR routes in this area as well. See them on the TCAD all the time.

Good luck with the IFR. Stay current and do some good XCs!

Last edited:
Congratulations! :D
Now the hard part starts... staying current AND proficient. :cool:

Congrats....curious why you didn't do it out of LZU if you're based there?

Congratulations! Any trips planned? Or any idea who your first passenger into the clouds will be?

Congrats....curious why you didn't do it out of LZU if you're based there?

Well, there were a few factors going on there. I did my PPL checkride with Fred at LZU, but when I heard his fee to come out to LZU was at $650 I got a bit of sticker shock. Additionally, I didn't love his personality during the ppl ride (although he was very friendly and positive after the ride) and had heard some good things about Don out of RHP. (I realize I'm not looking for a best friend, but if possible would like to fly with someone I get along with a little better). The other factor was that Fred only does rides during the week and doing the ride on a weekend was an advantage as I did not have to take a vacation day. It was also fun doing a ride with some approaches in a new area as opposed to the standard IR checkride out here with 2 approaches at WDR and back to LZU.

All in all, there were a few things going on and I figured I'd like some varied DPE experience. I would highly recommend Don out of RHP. He was honest and fair and pleasant to be around.

I did two approaches on the checkride I had never done before and passed (I had done the GPS at RHP before).

Well, there were a few factors going on there. I did my PPL checkride with Fred at LZU, but when I heard his fee to come out to LZU was at $650 I got a bit of sticker shock. Additionally, I didn't love his personality during the ppl ride (although he was very friendly and positive after the ride) and had heard some good things about Don out of RHP. (I realize I'm not looking for a best friend, but if possible would like to fly with someone I get along with a little better). The other factor was that Fred only does rides during the week and doing the ride on a weekend was an advantage as I did not have to take a vacation day. It was also fun doing a ride with some approaches in a new area as opposed to the standard IR checkride out here with 2 approaches at WDR and back to LZU.

All in all, there were a few things going on and I figured I'd like some varied DPE experience. I would highly recommend Don out of RHP. He was honest and fair and pleasant to be around.

I did two approaches on the checkride I had never done before and passed (I had done the GPS at RHP before).

Gotcha, I did my ride with Fred in 2012. He does charge extra for coming up to LZU. His bedside manner is rough and I came to the conclusion that it is done on purpose to see if he can rile you up. He yelled at me the whole time and when we got done he told me he thought I'd be a good instrument pilot.

Congrats!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

He does fly his V-tail up to LZU for rides. I assume there where most of the cost comes in. I'll hear him all the time on the radio coming and going to LZU.

Congratulations on your new rating!

I passed my IR Checkride today. Woo hoo! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I did my Checkride this morning out of RHP. The forecast was showing some fog in the morning so I decided to fly up last night and get a hotel.

Oral did not have anything unexpected. Examiner followed the ACS printout and asked some questions out of the red book. Asked about the enroute chart and I had to look up one or two symbols but knew most of them.

The ride was from RHP to TYS. We did the ILS 23L and then partial panel VOR 23L with the procedure turn, then back toward RHP. Changed over to squawk VFR, and did steep turns under the hood and unusual attitudes on the way back. Clouds were building and were in the area of the RHP approach, and I called ATL center but they were too busy to let me have a pop up without filing. No problem, contacted Macon flight service over the Harris VOR and filed. Contacted atl got the clearance, did the hold and flew through some actual on the GPS 8 into RHP. Did a circle to land to 26.

Examiner punched a hole in my cert and gave me a white piece of paper! I was pretty worn out and just flew VFR back to my base LZU.
Congrats Wayne!

Back