Sluggo63

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Sluggo63
...and had their sectional open.

https://twitter.com/swapapilots/status/769578018087972864

SWA%20Engine.jpg

Not just a flight plan but an appropriate alternate listed.

Didn't read a cause. Was this the compressor section coming apart?

Not just a flight plan but an appropriate alternate listed.

Didn't read a cause. Was this the compressor section coming apart?
Nothing factual, but I heard that it was an anti-ice overpressure that caused the cowl to separate. FL310. The cowl struck the aircraft (wing leading edge and horizontal stab) and there was an associated depressurization event. Supposedly the engine continued to run. Divert to Pensacola.

No word if Pensacola was the alternate listed on the flight plan! ;-)

Nothing factual, but I heard that it was an anti-ice overpressure that caused the cowl to separate. FL310. The cowl struck the aircraft (wing leading edge and horizontal stab) and there was an associated depressurization event. Supposedly the engine continued to run. Divert to Pensacola.

No word if Pensacola was the alternate listed on the flight plan! ;-)

Yeah I saw another pic from the front. Looks like the fan was fine. Gash in fuse below the windows as well.

I highly doubt Pensacola was the listed alternate, it is no where near the destination of Orlando. When you have an in flight emergency like this you divert to the nearest suitable airport.

so that's what's under there. glad they landed safely.
wonder if they used LED's on landing?
is it normal to keep them stowed if something hits the leading edge so you doesn't have asymmetric lift if one is damaged or doesn't deploy?

Window seats near the front of the wing don't look like great places to sit.

What was that, anyway? A turbine blade?
Photo%20Aug%2027%2C%2016%2053%2051.jpg

Window seats near the front of the wing don't look like great places to sit.

What was that, anyway? A turbine blade?

Part of the cowling. Don't need a blade to explode to do that kind of damage.

It done come from together.

Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

:eek::hairraise:
I lost a seat cushion just looking at the pics. Must've been a fun ride.

Nauga,
Who says, "THERE'S A MAN ON THE WING!"

The motor and housing will come off early and easily. Looks like de-ice bleed value malfunctioned. Fuselage damage is going to take some time to fix.

Not a cheap repair by any means. Plus new seats for those who soiled their shorty-shorts.

There's a reason there is no window in that fuselage section.

About 10 years ago I was on a SWA 737 that had the left engine disassemble itself at 10,000' over SFO on climb out from OAK. Fortunately, in that incident the untogetherness stayed mostly inside the engine, with only a few strays leaving the aft-end. The good news for the pax is they can expect a nice "we're sorry for your experience" letter with a "here's a free round trip voucher to anywhere we fly" (if you're willing to fly with us again...).

I highly doubt Pensacola was the listed alternate, it is no where near the destination of Orlando. When you have an in flight emergency like this you divert to the nearest suitable airport.
I find that hard to believe! How would ATC know where they wanted to go if they didn't file a flight plan and listed an alternate that they intended to fly to? ;-)

TAI over pressure, doubtful. Composite stronger than steel, definitely not.
I'm still thinking it was a TAI failure. Hot, high stage compressor bleed air got somewhere it shouldn't be in the ring cowl, and it separated. My second guess would be that some acoustical tiles delaminated, "came from together" and took the cowl with it. From another picture, it looked like the fan section stayed together pretty well, but it was hard to tell.

I have my sources. :D

Google images.
You're quick. I Googled it and found it, and deleted my post as to not look like a Luddite. Too late, I guess. ;-) Thanks!

You're quick. I Googled it and found it, and deleted my post as to not look like a Luddite. Too late, I guess. ;-) Thanks!

Yeah but since I didn't quote you, you got away with it. Now my post which you just quoted and thereby saved for posterity makes no sense. Thank you. :(

Yeah but since I didn't quote you, you got away with it. Now my post which you just quoted and thereby saved for posterity makes no sense. Thank you. :(
I don't know what you're talking about... ;)

I'm still thinking it was a TAI failure. Hot, high stage compressor bleed air got somewhere it shouldn't be in the ring cowl, and it separated. My second guess would be that some acoustical tiles delaminated, "came from together" and took the cowl with it. From another picture, it looked like the fan section stayed together pretty well, but it was hard to tell.
Chances are we will never find out the cause. My money is on an insufficient composite repair, or incorrect fasteners installed. You can see some fan damage in the picture here: https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1903254

I wonder how much the pilots actually knew. But if this happens, and the fan is still turning (as it appears in some of the in-flight pictures), do you shut it down? Send the FO back to take a look? Or just keep flying and hope it doesn't eat the rest of the cowling?

I wonder how much the pilots actually knew. But if this happens, and the fan is still turning (as it appears in some of the in-flight pictures), do you shut it down? Send the FO back to take a look? Or just keep flying and hope it doesn't eat the rest of the cowling?

Punch out!

I wonder how much the pilots actually knew.

These days, when some cars have blindspot cameras that display on the panel, why don't airliners?

It seems like it would not be hard to add a camera, behind the landing-light window, that's pointed sideways, at the engine.

upload_2016-8-28_20-14-39.png

I don't know about the 737, but the other Boeing's I've flown had a checklist for "Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation." The checklist calls for shutting the engine down and pulling the fire switch.

Pulling the fire handle shuts down the engine.
I know that. But it isn't the best way to shut the engine down quickly.

To shut down the engine as quickly as possible, you should use the fuel control switch, then pull the fire handle. The fire handle usually shuts the fuel off at the spar valve, way upstream from the engine, whereas the fuel control switch shuts off the fuel valve right at the engine. If you just pulled the fire switch, that engine would run for a while as it burned all the fuel in the line between the spar valve and the engine itself. To shut it down the quickest... use the fuel control switch, then pull the fire switch to shut off the hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, etc. to that engine.

I don't know about the 737. Never flew it. But this is the Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation checkist from a B757. I'm sure the 737 is similar.
757%20Engine%20Fire.jpg

Pretty impressive what those airplanes can take...

I know that. But it isn't the best way to shut the engine down quickly.

To shut down the engine as quickly as possible, you should use the fuel control switch, then pull the fire handle. The fire handle usually shuts the fuel off at the spar valve, way upstream from the engine, whereas the fuel control switch shuts off the fuel valve right at the engine. If you just pulled the fire switch, that engine would run for a while as it burned all the fuel in the line between the spar valve and the engine itself. To shut it down the quickest... use the fuel control switch, then pull the fire switch to shut off the hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, etc. to that engine.

I don't know about the 737. Never flew it. But this is the Engine Fire, Severe Damage or Separation checkist from a B757. I'm sure the 737 is similar.
757%20Engine%20Fire.jpg
Can't argue with 8.1.5, however, I doubt the engine driven pump will suck much fuel from a closed line, that's not how it's designed to work.

Can't argue with 8.1.5, however, I doubt the engine driven pump will suck much fuel from a closed line, that's not how it's designed to work.
I've heard that one before.

Me: "Hey... That thing you designed just exploded in a giant ball of flame."

Engineer: "...well that's not supposed to be true."

Back