How to handle this situation?

He's a 100 hour pilot. There is lots he doesn't know. There was for both of us when we were at 100 hours, too. The big one is checklist usage. Lots of low time pilots are really bad at that.

When you said your engine was prone to fouling during taxi, I thought you meant it had happened, not that someone told you so.

I'm still not convinced that the climb you described was really as slow as you said. If it was, the stall warning would have been on continuously. And while I don't agree with it, there is a school of thought to climb at Vx in order to get altitude close to the airport. While that may or may not be a conscious choice on the pilot's part, it could also come indirectly from the instructor. It's a similar thought process to the chop & drop approaches.

I think you need to have some discussions, with the understanding that you've been the subject of some OWTs as well. And we all make mistakes from time to time; it's important to distinguish the serious ones from the WTF moments.

If he's not aware of his surroundings, that could be a problem. But some taxiways look like runways from a distance because they once were runways. Is he preoccupied or distracted on long final? Or just needing some more experience?

As others mentioned, he seems receptive and if he cares to be a good pilot, he will listen to input (not criticism), evaluate it and hopefully learn from it.
I know when I was a freshly minted pilot, I was flying with other pilots, observing and asking questions because I wanted to see how others did things and how I could improve my skills from that.
So if you want to be kind of like a father figure to him and help him grow his wings safely, ask him. Afterall, as co-owners you should be able to communicate openly.
Good luck and go fly!

When you said your engine was prone to fouling during taxi, I thought you meant it had happened, not that someone told you so.

Yes, this has ACTUALLY happened a few times. The first time, he called me telling me he thought we had a bad mag and cancelled his flight and wanted me to come check it out. I used the the procedure from the POH, a full power run up to clear the plugs, and that resolved it. I then spoke with my A&P about prevention of it happening again. I was already an aggressive lean-er for taxi, but took the co-owner out and showed him the technique. That is why I thought it was relevant to my post, being it was something we had specifically experienced and talked about, but was then ignored.

Yes, this has ACTUALLY happened a few times. The first time, he called me telling me he thought we had a bad mag and cancelled his flight and wanted me to come check it out. I used the the procedure from the POH, a full power run up to clear the plugs, and that resolved it. I then spoke with my A&P about prevention of it happening again. I was already an aggressive lean-er for taxi, but took the co-owner out and showed him the technique. That is why I thought it was relevant to my post, being it was something we had specifically experienced and talked about, but was then ignored.

Don't be a helicopter parent next time. He either figures out how to deal with it himself or he gets the bill for calling a mechanic out to clean the plugs. :)

Which is then likely split two ways since it is a partnership. I think I'd want to fix it before calling the mechanic.

Yep exactly. And why would i not be willing to help him, even if it was coming out of strictly his pocket and not mine?
Ya know, there is truly no way to be right with the opinions on here lol.

Any thoughts or input???

Wellll, there's always this thought.

kill-him.jpg

Which is then likely split two ways since it is a partnership. I think I'd want to fix it before calling the mechanic.

I was saying that you all get together and explain how not fouling plugs works and that if plugs are fouled by "someone" taxiing around full rich, it's NOT a bill the group will pay, it's a bill the individual who did it will pay. And they'll have to deal with taking it to the mechanic also.

In other words, motivation to learn via consequences. The opposite of helicopter parents.

I was saying that you all get together and explain how not fouling plugs works and that if plugs are fouled by "someone" taxiing around full rich, it's NOT a bill the group will pay, it's a bill the individual who did it will pay. And they'll have to deal with taking it to the mechanic also.

In other words, motivation to learn via consequences. The opposite of helicopter parents.

Gotcha! I like that too. Promotes communication

Data point. I've had my O300 equipped 172 thru 9 annuals and 3 sets of plugs now and I lean aggressively. I've never had a fouled plug and they've never been full of lead when I pull them at annual. So, if you pull them and they are clogged, you'll know someone isn't playing along. I've seen a plug come out of an O-235 that had so much lead in it it was causing a misfire. I wish I had a photo of that one.

Data point. I've had my O300 equipped 172 thru 9 annuals and 3 sets of plugs now and I lean aggressively. I've never had a fouled plug and they've never been full of lead when I pull them at annual. So, if you pull them and they are clogged, you'll know someone isn't playing along. I've seen a plug come out of an O-235 that had so much lead in it it was causing a misfire. I wish I had a photo of that one.

Any burned valves as the critics on here suggest? :)

Any burned valves as the critics on here suggest? :)
I had to replace 2 jugs due to low compression in the first 3 years I owned her but none since. Also, NO stuck valves in 14 years of owning 2 Continental motors 'known' to be prone to it without leaning. Never used MMO either.

(now watch me stick one next weekend)

I have issues with other people's driving but that doesn't mean I won't ride in their car. Same thing with flying. If I'm really concerned about the safety of flight, I might speak up, right then, not a week later. If you're really concerned, get a CFI to sign you both off. Maybe it's the 400 hour guy doing things incorrectly.
I've always heard the midrange 300 to 500 hour pilot is the more prone to dings because he's now comfortable with the planes he's flying, the methods he uses, and the distance from his last ride with a CFI. I spent my 300 to 500 range flying helicopters as a student. Mixed with my fixed wing flying, moving between the two, made me highly aware of the differences. I still did WINGS which means I flew with a FIXED WING CFI, had my flight review in the middle, and had a chance to adjust bad habits.
You state that you've been flying for 13 years but have 400 hours. A refresher now and again might help you too.

I've always heard the midrange 300 to 500 hour pilot is the more prone to dings because he's now comfortable with the planes he's flying, the methods he uses, and the distance from his last ride with a CFI.
And often, those guys don't improve after 500 hours! :eek:

Well, just don't be trying the "overhead" in a 182. That's really overdoing it, and civilian towers don't seem to like it much.

There are lots of ways to land a draggy 182 safely, though, especially on a long and wide runway.

High downwind at vne, decel turn downing to final, sounds legit

To me, the post described what I think is a pretty typical "experience" between a fresh pilot and a semi-experienced private pilot. The fresh pilot is still a little rough around the edges, but is learning on every flight and is able to get the plane up and down without killing anyone or bending any metal. The other guy, a semi-experienced private pilot who thinks he knows everything about everything, is appalled when another pilot does things differently or not as "good" as he does. Add in the complication of them being partners in an airplane and you've got a recipe for some tension.

Climbing out with the stall warning continuing to go off, especially in they conditions, is a serious issue. It is not a normal issue with an inexperienced pilot. It is a pilot who does not recognize the seriousness of a dangerous situation.

You are trying to minimize what the OP has very clearly stated.

Either that, or you think it is acceptable to climb out in gusty conditions with the stall warning going off.

Instead of trying to answer the guys questions, you're basically saying I don't believe what you're saying.

Why even respond to this post if you feel that way? You're not helping the OP.
I don't get it.

Gary

Climbing out with the stall warning continuing to go off, especially in they conditions, is a serious issue.

The op actually said "The stall horn blipped for a second at one point."

Climbing out with the stall warning continuing to go off, especially in they conditions, is a serious issue. It is not a normal issue with an inexperienced pilot. It is a pilot who does not recognize the seriousness of a dangerous situation.

You are trying to minimize what the OP has very clearly stated.

Either that, or you think it is acceptable to climb out in gusty conditions with the stall warning going off.

Instead of trying to answer the guys questions, you're basically saying I don't believe what you're saying.

Why even respond to this post if you feel that way? You're not helping the OP.
I don't get it.

Gary

THANK YOU!!! Gary, I was quite surprised and bummed to see most of the responses I got to this post. Especially like I was being a drama queen making a big deal out of nothing and most everyone brushing it off like its no big deal. And pointing the finger at me like I am the problem. Some people don't know how to keep negativity to themselves. Don't give me wrong, I'm wide open to constructive criticism. But that wasn't what I was seeking in my OP. Thank you for your positive statements Sir!

This is PoA, it should not surprise you to get conflicting feedback, pushback and talkback. You will learn to filter replies. No point in arguing with those who post only to argue with your point of view to begin with.
Now go fly with the kid and show him how to do things right. :)

THANK YOU!!! Gary, I was quite surprised and bummed to see most of the responses I got to this post. Especially like I was being a drama queen making a big deal out of nothing and most everyone brushing it off like its no big deal. And pointing the finger at me like I am the problem. Some people don't know how to keep negativity to themselves. Don't give me wrong, I'm wide open to constructive criticism. But that wasn't what I was seeking in my OP. Thank you for your positive statements Sir!

You're basically saying, "I just wanted people to agree with me." You came to the wrong place for that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back