Aircraft Salvage Value

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Anyone have a ballpark estimate for the salvage value on a '78 archer with 9000 hours, ugly interior, bad paint, crap panel, and a 2800 hour engine?

Vref claims 24k retail 16k wholesale.

Without more info hard to guess. If it's been sitting for several years or has corrosion and was for parts I personally would only figure around 8000$. For fixing up in just poor shape, maybe 15000$. Might not get, but oh well.

Ten years ago you could scrap it for parts and get top dollar, now scrap value is next to nothing. The engine has value if it is not all rusted up by sitting around. Times have changed I would personally figure around 5 to 8K value.

The usual salvage buyers bid what they think they can get for the engine core and the avionics and consider the other pieces to be profit. If the avionics aren't worth much then there much not be much there at all.

Thinking you might get 10 K ,or maybe not.

now scrap value is next to nothing
That's one of the few "bad things" about the US dollar getting stronger against other world currencies. As ours goes up, the desire for the world consumers to purchase US Scrap Metals decline because it's more expensive to them than scrap in another nation.. Then recyclers like me don't get as much across the scales. Plus add to it that no nation is massive infrastructure build spree, so demand for tonnage is way off.

The years leading up to and including C4C, I could afford to offer someone a decent amount for a car/truck that had zero parts sales value and make a profit off of the non-ferrous and ferrous scrap metals. But that's been long gone for a while now.

That's one of the few "bad things" about the US dollar getting stronger against other world currencies. As ours goes up, the desire for the world consumers to purchase US Scrap Metals decline because it's more expensive to them than scrap in another nation.. Then recyclers like me don't get as much across the scales. Plus add to it that no nation is massive infrastructure build spree, so demand for tonnage is way off.

The years leading up to and including C4C, I could afford to offer someone a decent amount for a car/truck that had zero parts sales value and make a profit off of the non-ferrous and ferrous scrap metals. But that's been long gone for a while now.
The major scrap metal recycler here is Skaget River Steel. they won't take an aircraft until it has been disassembled and the metal sorted. most aircraft don't render enough to pay to do that.

Call the scrap yards and see what they'll give you. When I sold the Aztec, the scrap yards made the best offers. Then a school in Texas made me a much better offer, but I had to wait 6 months for payment (government contract).

I'd contact the type club, see who wants parts. then advertise the engine as a rebuildable core on Barnstormers.com experimenters are always wanting cheap engines.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate for the salvage value on a '78 archer with 9000 hours, ugly interior, bad paint, crap panel, and a 2800 hour engine?

Keep flying it until the engine has 3800 hours and ask again.

I'd contact the type club, see who wants parts. then advertise the engine as a rebuildable core on Barnstormers.com experimenters are always wanting cheap engines.
What is a engine worth with a rusted crank and cam, cylinders rusted, mags, starter, alt and carb worn out and might have a case that might be ok or not.

What is a engine worth with a rusted crank and cam, cylinders rusted, mags, starter, alt and carb worn out and might have a case that might be ok or not.
Cases can be lapped and line bored, cylinders can rebored refitted with light speed pitons, mags can be thrown away and replaced with electronic ignition, Starters can be removed and thrown away, and alternators can be replaced with light weight after market. that's what home builders do, so the LongEZ builders are always looking for 0-320-& 0-360-

Generally the smaller the pieces you sell the more you will get. Sell the thing whole maybe 8 or 10k. Sell the airframe as pieces, the total take goes up. Break down the engine if the case and crank or good you will get more total for the pieces. The Dow side is labor and time to sell all the pieces.

Bob

Based upon my experience with an insurance total loss of similar ilk. I would hazard to guess about $20k as I was outbid, and lost it to a big salvage yard. But bear in mind that big salvage yards have the financial wherewithall to sit on it, and sell it one rivet at a time.

Based upon my experience with an insurance total loss of similar ilk. I would hazard to guess about $20k as I was outbid, and lost it to a big salvage yard. But bear in mind that big salvage yards have the financial wherewithall to sit on it, and sell it one rivet at a time.
And that is the problem with- "Just part it out!" Storage and time. Lots of time. Also patience as each sale of each part is basically just like a Craig's list sale.

Parting out is great option if you have the space to store the parts inside, the time to take it all apart, photograph each thing, post ads and arrange shipment. Then you must be patient and deal with all the tire kickers, bargain hunters and flakes.

Back