Training Budget for helicopter rating?

They offered me a job as a helicopter CFI. They said they usually can hire foreign pilots who need to build the hours before their visa expires and would do it for free, so they were only going to pay minimum wage. I appreciate their decision to offer helicopter flight training at a reasonable rate ($379 for R44 training is an excellent price) but, needless to say, I didn't take the offer.

All I can say is that I've had both local as well as "foreign" CFIs at KBED ECAC, and they were virtually all top-notch in both knowledge and personality. All of them were on a path to a better job (e.g. scenic rides in the Grand Canyon), which is common throughout the helicopter training industry. One of them was the best instructor I've ever had (of too many to count, in airplanes (land and sea), gliders and helicopters). I don't think any of them was there to make money, and some held at least another job.

I don't think any of them was there to make money, and some held at least another job.

Not a surprise. Minimum wage (not figuratively, literally minimum wage) in the Boston area doesn't provide for much. I hope you tipped them handsomely.

Wow... You DO still exist! Where ya been? Still doing the gliders?

If I haven't been flying gliders I've been flight instructing, farming, or whatever else I can do to pay for more glider flying. Flew a regional and nationals this year plus the international vintage meet in New York. Now it's back to work time.

Hoping to go to the world championships again next summer!

One of them was the best instructor I've ever had (of too many to count, in airplanes (land and sea), gliders and helicopters). I don't think any of them was there to make money, and some held at least another job.

I'd love to know who this instructor is (PM if you prefer). thanks

I'd love to know who this instructor is (PM if you prefer). thanks

Last time I heard he was flying tourists over the Grand Canyon. If you are still interested, I can PM you his name.

• The R22 isn't the perfect trainer, but it's just fine if you know what you're doing. They're a popular trainer because they're cheap.

Cheap and helicopter do not belong in the same sentence. Even if you're talking about an R22. :D

Back