Engine monitor

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
Is an EDM 800 too old school to add to a plane these days? Should I only be considering an EDM 830? Was contemplating taking out my 2 1/4" EGT gauge and putting an EDM 800 in. Thoughts?

My EDM 711 still provides me all the information I need it to.

It's worth exploring the capabilities of the newer models, they're packing quite a lot in there. Plus leaning is a lot easier where there's a simple target line or number to lean to.

I had an old school GEM and after looking around decided to upgrade to a G3, so that I wouldn't have to replace all the probes. Almost a plug and play replacement.

Some interesting features. The logging and data aggregation capabilities had me sold, i don't have the vibration sensor yet but their real time Exhaust Valve Failure analysis seems quite unique.

Is an EDM 800 too old school to add to a plane these days? Should I only be considering an EDM 830? Was contemplating taking out my 2 1/4" EGT gauge and putting an EDM 800 in. Thoughts?

Lol, don't drink the marketing kool aid.

Old school is a single point gauge.

The 800 and 700 lines are all you need for a normal engine monitor, tells you everything the new one does, in the exact same format (be it slightly lower screen resolution) as the new ones.

Unless you're going all in and want to replace all your primary engine and fuel instruments, just save yourself some $$ and go with the 800.

I had an 800 and I traded it in on the 830 a bunch of years ago. The 830 is way more legible and since my engine instruments are tiny (and way over on the other side of the panel) it's nice to have this in the can. Good to have the alert of things like batt voltage low when the alternator trips off as well.

Downloading is data is trivial on a 830, can you do that on older models without hooking up a serial cable to a computer?

I'll only say that I recently installed an 830 in my pa32. Would never fly without it again.

I'll only say that I recently installed an 830 in my pa32. Would never fly without it again.

Curious what you did with your panel when you did that. Did you take a bunch of gauges out since an 830 can act as primary, right? I'm in a PA28.

My 830 sits where the #2 NAV would go. I have an HSI.

Curious what you did with your panel when you did that. Did you take a bunch of gauges out since an 830 can act as primary, right? I'm in a PA28.

I removed an old inop stormscope top right of 6 pack and put 830 on same hole.

830 can't act as primary. You're thinking of 930. I considered that but the cost was going to be a pretty big jump and all my primary gauges are in good shape.

Different plane, different analyzer, but I'm going to be adding a EI CGR into my Cessna, I'll be selling off my JPI800, all engine gauges and fuel gauges, vac, amp, etc.

Get a new flat metal panel cut to replace the factory Cessna "shock" panel, delete a few odd balls too, but replace my senders with magnetic ones.

Different plane, different analyzer, but I'm going to be adding a EI CGR into my Cessna, I'll be selling off my JPI800, all engine gauges and fuel gauges, vac, amp, etc.

Get a new flat metal panel cut to replace the factory Cessna "shock" panel, delete a few odd balls too, but replace my senders with magnetic ones.

How many cylinders is your 800 for?

Sorry, mistype it's a JPI 700, 6 cylinder.

Think the 6 can be down stepped to a 4.

Might have another buyer for it, but still let me know if you're interested.

The EDM series will run from 4 to 9 cyls (On the 730/830, not sure if you get 9 on the 700/800). After my battery was disconnected for a three weeks (the mags were off being overhauled as well) the silly thing came up thinking I only had 4 cylinders. After a few minutes it displayed bars for all six, but the RPM display was off until I went to the set up procedure and set up that. I wish I'd have written down the other settings like the fuel flow K factor (which they tell you to do in the book). But it only takes a few flights to readjust that number.

Just upgraded my EDM-700 (with fuel flow) to an EDM-730. Plug and play, and now all the parameters are visible at once without having to wait for them to cycle through (or push the button X number of times to find what I was looking for).

I think I'm going to try to go with a CGR-30P. Trying to scrounge up the dough for it.

The Edm 711 with fuel flow works great with my new Avidyne IFD540

The EDM series will run from 4 to 9 cyls (On the 730/830, not sure if you get 9 on the 700/800). After my battery was disconnected for a three weeks (the mags were off being overhauled as well) the silly thing came up thinking I only had 4 cylinders. After a few minutes it displayed bars for all six, but the RPM display was off until I went to the set up procedure and set up that. I wish I'd have written down the other settings like the fuel flow K factor (which they tell you to do in the book). But it only takes a few flights to readjust that number.
Be sure to keep check your total
fuel used on a fill up and after a few times change your k factor and watch a few more times and adjust again and it will get within 1/2 gal used

Back