Pet Peeves

Calling employees "team members" or "associates" or whatever. Whom do they think they're kidding?QUOTE]

:thumbsup: Hell yeah! So if we're all "team member" where's my stock options, profit sharing check, and that damn golden parachute? Still have never seen one of those. Is that like the Army Golden Knights chutes?

I heard on the radio about the "homeless" used to be called "bums or hobos" before the United States got all PC. When they figure out that "homeless" is offensive they'll be called outdoorsmen or outdoor collection agents.

Young criminals are now "judicially involved"

"taken back" versus "taken aback"

And "person of interest" instead of "suspect"? Sheesh, give me a break.

"taken back" versus "taken aback"

And "person of interest" instead of "suspect"? Sheesh, give me a break.
And why does law enforcement always call everyone an individual instead of a person? "Individual" doesn't even tell you what species they're talking about! It could be an individual dog or an individual horse for all we know.

Since I'm beginning day 5 of 12+ hour conference call for a client in distress, a new pet peeve is people who do NOT understand phone etiquette - background noise, transmission delay - please! speak, wait, listen, speak! This is not truly bidirectional communication!
Oh, and another one - burned my butt yesterday ... my iPhone showed I was on mute, whereas I commented to a co-worker "if I EVER get off this flippin' call before I die, I have to run out to get my new glasses!" and I was NOT muted!

People on conference calls that say "This is ____, blah blah blah" After the first hour or two everyone is getting the voices down and the constant self identification gets old.

Since I'm beginning day 5 of 12+ hour conference call for a client in distress, a new pet peeve is people who do NOT understand phone etiquette - background noise, transmission delay - please! speak, wait, listen, speak! This is not truly bidirectional communication!
Oh, and another one - burned my butt yesterday ... my iPhone showed I was on mute, whereas I commented to a co-worker "if I EVER get off this flippin' call before I die, I have to run out to get my new glasses!" and I was NOT muted!

A good DSP based conference bridge should introduce less than 50ms of audio delay. Heh. And I got to test that in the lab numerous times... Back in the day. :)

But most add a lot more than that nowadays, plus the individual vocoder delay of everyone on VOIP or cellular end points...

Makes conf calls sound a lot worse today than they did back when I was doing that testing. Heh.

We were just chatting between some old telecom heads on FB last week about AT&T's famous cassette tape of "Human voices that trip DTMF detectors, but shouldn't..." too. Great test tool. But not for sale anymore...

Most modern conference bridges would fail it miserably. ;)

doesn't help that half the team is India based, night time for them, and many phoned in from home.

Illegal aliens = undocumented immigrants:mad:
I prefer the term "illegal immigrants," because that focuses on what they did instead of who they are, but yeah, "undocumented immigrants" bugs me too, and I'm not even a conservative. It's a half-truth at best. What happened, did they enter the country legally, but someone stole their documents? Or did they just lose them? :rolleyes:

I heard on the radio about the "homeless" used to be called "bums or hobos" before the United States got all PC. When they figure out that "homeless" is offensive they'll be called outdoorsmen or outdoor collection agents.
Urban outdoorsman.

Or urban outdoorsPERSON.

Food packages that require a tool to open.

OK, I expect it with canned food, but otherwise, :rolleyes:.

Non pilots on the phone: "We've been sitting on the runway for an hour and haven't moved." No you've been sitting on a taxiway or ramp.
Adding to that, when I hear people say the captain is THE pilot as if he/she does all of the work. "The pilot is gonna fly us to Las Vegas", "The pilot looks young" etc. There is more than one "pilot" up front and the captain is NOT the only person that flies the airplane. What do these people think the FO does, just sits there as a backup?:mad2:

Last edited:
Adding to that, when I hear people say the captain is THE pilot as if he/she does all of the work. "The pilot is gonna fly us to Las Vegas". What do these people think the FO does, just sits there as a backup?:mad2:

I thought the copilot read checklists on request, filled the captain's coffee and took the fat friend . . .

I thought the copilot read checklists on request, filled the captain's coffee and took the fat friend . . .
Basically all they are allowed to do. Can you imagine how frightening that would be if the "co-pilot" actually took the controls and flew the plane! :rolleyes2:

Adding to that, when I hear people say the captain is THE pilot as if he/she does all of the work. "The pilot is gonna fly us to Las Vegas", "The pilot looks young" etc. There is more than one "pilot" up front and the captain is NOT the only person that flies the airplane. What do these people think the FO does, just sits there as a backup?:mad2:
I'm just the gear monkey.:D

Basically all they are allowed to do. Can you imagine how frightening that would be if the "co-pilot" actually took the controls and flew the plane! :rolleyes2:

Don't know if you're joking or not, but the FO usually flies every other leg, and the Capt does the checklists when the FO is flying. Since CRM came into being it's a whole lot different up front then the general perception of "Capt is God" from the old days. When I started ('89) some Capts were like that but most Capt's were supportive of CRM.

And what's wrong with the fat one anyway? :D

Don't know if you're joking or not, but the FO usually flies every other leg, and the Capt does the checklists when the FO is flying. Since CRM came into being it's a whole lot different up front then the general perception of "Capt is God" from the old days. When I started ('89) some Capts were like that but most Capt's were supportive of CRM.

And what's wrong with the fat one anyway? :D
Yes, I'm joking, referring to my first post.

I really detest useless packaging. Like plastic wrapped individual forks, and paper wrapped straws. It's annoying, unnecessary and wasteful in that order.

Airport pet peeve: People who leave their cars/airplanes/golf carts/whatever blocking the ramp. I've arrived at my hangar a couple of times only to find a locked car parked right in front of it with no owner in sight. I've also had a thoughtless airplane owner park and leave his/her aircraft on the ramp, blocking access to the hangars beyond the parked aircraft.

Really, people?

The excuse is usually "I didn't realize anyone would be...". C'mon man. Park it where there *can't* be a problem. Just because it is 3:00 on Tuesday afternoon, that doesn't preclude someone from wanting to use his/her airplane.

Last edited:
Or the other side.... One hanger has small trees growing up in the cracks in front of the door from lack of anyone opening the door in years. Then the first time I park in front of their door just to drop off a package in the hanger and leave, they arrive and throw a fit....

I had that happen a few years ago.

People who schedule lunch or dinner events at odd times like "We will eat around 15:30" so you have to bugger up your whole eating schedule for the whole day to meet their weird timetable.

People who schedule lunch or dinner events at odd times like "We will eat around 15:30" so you have to bugger up your whole eating schedule for the whole day to meet their weird timetable.

Don't even get me started.... Yeah we do that at the office sometimes on Fridays. Basically it's an all afternoon drinking and eating marathon. You're useless for anything else past 4:30.

Back