Introduction and Training Journey

Side note, is it a California thing that you call roads 'the' . I live on the east coast, I've never heard anyone saying 'take the 95 north to ... ' we'd just say take 95, or take i-95.
Yep, a SoCal phenomenon. Well represented by SNL's "The Californians." Check out Bradley Cooper at 3:40 here. Hilarious!

Growing up in SoCal, I thought it was standard usage until I took a business trip to Texas, and thought it was so odd that they didn't use the "the"! Of course they mocked me and made reference to the SNL skit. :D

Well I know what I'm doing at work today...thanks for giving me something to read! Gotta catch up!

Thanks for the update. I like the landing video. That youtube image stabilization does some weird things eh? Your structure was morphing a bit there. I know you didn't ask and I'm not really qualified to critique landings, but my 2 cents from a fellow student pilot is that you may want to hold it off a little more before touchdown and hold the yoke back longer after touching to let the nose down slower. It seems like you released your back pressure on most of those right as the wheels touch. Maybe get your cfi to watch your video and see what he thinks.

That IS a nice video. Something that jumps out at me (aside from the interesting distortions along the edge) is that you're releasing some back pressure and dropping the nose a second or two before touchdown. That's why your landings are firm. Hold the backpressure all the way through touchdown, and pull the yoke gradually into your lap (if it isn't already there) through the rollout.

A really good touchdown feels like the mains lower to the runway while the nosegear stays above it, and you have to add backpressure during the flare in order to do that.

I don't know what your airspeed is, but it looks like a flat approach. Could easily be camera distortion, or it could be a fast approach speed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I like the landing video. That youtube image stabilization does some weird things eh? Your structure was morphing a bit there. I know you didn't ask and I'm not really qualified to critique landings, but my 2 cents from a fellow student pilot is that you may want to hold it off a little more before touchdown and hold the yoke back longer after touching to let the nose down slower. It seems like you released your back pressure on most of those right as the wheels touch. Maybe get your cfi to watch your video and see what he thinks.

Yes, the stabilization does make it odd. After I uploaded the video I got a popup from YouTube that it could "smooth out the shaking" so I thought why not? That's the first time I've used it and it wasn't done processing when I shut my computer down last night so this morning is the first chance I got to look at it. I don't like it and am going to have it changed back to the original footage with the shaking.

Nope, didn't ask for the critique, but I'll take your 2 cents, 3 cents if you're feeling generous. ;) Yes I need to hold the yoke back to keep the nose off the ground longer. The last landing I did better at that and it was smoother. It is one of those things that I know I need to do, right as I'm landing it doesn't register, then right after I touch down I have the "Crap, forgot to hold the nose off..." thought come to mind. I flew again this past Sunday and made a mental effort to try and remember to hold the nose off longer as I was touching down and did a better job with it on some of the landings. I just need to finish writing that up and get it posted, hoping to have that done this evening.

That IS a nice video. Something that jumps out at me (aside from the interesting distortions along the edge) is that you're releasing some back pressure and dropping the nose a second or two before touchdown. That's why your landings are firm. Hold the backpressure all the way through touchdown, and pull the yoke gradually into your lap (if it isn't already there) through the rollout.

The distortions are from YouTube auto correction, but I'm turning that off, I don't like it much. I have not kept pulling back more and more after the mains touch, just trying to hold the yoke where it was when the mains touch. I will give that a try Saturday when I go flying again.

Just to be clear, those are not bad landings at all. Just providing a little feedback to make them even better. I don't know where your aimpoint was, but I do think that was to PTS (well ACS now) for a normal landing.

Just to be clear, those are not bad landings at all. Just providing a little feedback to make them even better. I don't know where your aimpoint was, but I do think that was to PTS (well ACS now) for a normal landing.

I appreciate the feedback. The aim point was the numbers and most of them were fairly close. I missed the centerline on some of them but I am getting closer to hitting it. For awhile the goal was just to get in the vicinity of the centerline (150' wide runways) while I was figuring out everything else. There were a couple that floated a bit and may or may not have been close enough to the aim point to count. By the time I take my check ride in a month I think I will have that ironed out.

I have had landings that set down much harder earlier on in my training with my CFI in the plane. When I fly with him this Saturday it will have been 3 1/2 weeks and four flights (1 xc, 1 long xc, and two stints in the traffic pattern) since I have flown with him so I will see if I can impress him with my improved landings. The goal is to have my landings (at least most of them) nice and smooth so that when I take my wife flying a little over a month from now after I have my PPL that she will keep flying with me... It's easier to justify a plane purchase if she likes flying in it too. :)

Good stuff, Richard! I'm not a big fan of the YouTube stabilization either. I tried it on one video, and quickly removed it.

For landing practice, you might try mounting the camera on the outside of the plane, near the rear tie-down point, facing forward. It'll show you exactly when the mains and the nose gear touch. Even better, use two cameras, with the second one in the original position. Here's a video I made a month or two ago...no landings, but it shows the perspective. Every takeoff in the RV is soft-field technique...carry the nosewheel as early as possible, hold it there and let the aircraft fly itself off the runway in that attitude. Likewise, landings require full back stick after touchdown to hold the nosewheel off as long as possible.

My instructor (transition training in an RV-7A) had good advice about these planes: "Treat the nose gear like it's balsa wood." Certified planes can take a lot more abuse!

Nice video, I like the sound effects, especially the one as you lift off. KCHD is on the list of places I will be heading, it's just south of where my parents live and just west of my sisters. What do you use to mount it on the outside, suction cup mount? I see a lot of videos that people have made where it is mounted outside the plane. I have one of these with the two suction cups and they seem to hold well, but I worry about never seeing my GoPro again if it is outside the plane...

I've got one of the stick-on GoPro mounts, and the adhesive is incredible...it's not going anywhere! Do the planes you rent have the screw-in type eyebolts for tie-downs? If so, then I'd get a mount that threads into that socket. I've also got a mount on top of the vertical stabilizer that's built into the plane, but it vibrates a lot, especially on takeoff with full-throttle spiraling effect.

KCHD is a great little airport. Very easy to navigate; transient parking marked in yellow right in front of the tower. No overnight tie-down fee with purchase of fuel.

Thanks for the compliment on the video! Here's another with the camera mounted on the underside of the horizontal stab (again, stick-on mount):

Last edited:
The adhesive mount will have to wait until I have my own plane... I'll see what the tie downs look like.

Another nice video, familiar scene there coming into 26R at KCNO. I've been up in the Orange Balloon down near El Toro as well, took my wife on a date there after it first opened.

Congrats on having the landings start to click, Richard!! For some reason I couldn't get your video to play (computer issues on my end, maybe). Nice tight patterns too.

So sad to hear about the flying wing nose gear collapse. I'm sure they'll get 'er patched up soon. I saw it fly at the last air show there, along with this P-51D:

IMG_1598.JPG

One of the highlights of the air show there is watching all the old war birds flying laps around the pattern and low passes over the runway. That's a great pic of the P-51. I'll have to see if I can dig up some pics I took at the show a few years back.

Flew yesterday with my CFI, the entire flight was in simulated IFR, that is a lot of work. Here's the write up.

http://intothesky.us/2016/08/27/a-flight-without-a-view/

Your blog is a good read...very entertaining. I remember the "foggles" portion of my training well... I was also very mentally drained at the end of the day! I need to do some more of that with a safety pilot to stay sharp. I'm sorta cheating now, as my glass panel has synthetic vision...showing the terrain really helps you get your bearings from an unusual attitude situation. It could save my butt someday if I were stupid enough to wander into the thick soup.

My CFI asked if I was planning on getting my Instrument Rating when I was done with my PPL. I told him maybe in 2-3 years. With most of my flying anticipated here in So Cal with trips to Phoenix, Sacramento, and SLC there are plenty of VFR days to play with and there is nowhere I have to be that I can't put off for better weather. His recommendation was that even if I was going to wait to go for my Instrument Rating, that on the few IFR days we have around here to try and grab a CFII and go up for some actual IFR time instead of just simulated time, just for the experience building.

In SoCal, there are a LOT of IFR days along the coast.

You'll get good use out of an instrument rating.

True. Partly why I have my aircraft hangared pretty far inland; corrosion is less of an issue too.
We got socked in a lot at John Wayne where I did my training (May Gray/June Gloom marine layer), but on most soupy days the ceiling was still high enough to do pattern work.

True. Partly why I have my aircraft hangared pretty far inland; corrosion is less of an issue too.
We got socked in a lot at John Wayne where I did my training (May Gray/June Gloom marine layer), but on most soupy days the ceiling was still high enough to do pattern work.
Corrosion shouldn't be an issue unless you park within range of salt spray.

It's ~5 miles from KTOA to the beach, further for KLGB. You'll get lots of marine layer, but no salt corrosion.

If you want evidence, go driving around Torrance and count the rusted out cars. You won't find many, if any at all.

Yes, you can sometimes do pattern work under marine layer (as long as the ceiling is 500 feet above TPA -- SVFR is likely to be a problem at a busy airport). But going somewhere at 1000 feet over the city isn't a good idea.

It's ~5 miles from KTOA to the beach, further for KLGB. You'll get lots of marine layer, but no salt corrosion.

If you want evidence, go driving around Torrance and count the rusted out cars. You won't find many, if any at all.

Yes, you can sometimes do pattern work under marine layer (as long as the ceiling is 500 feet above TPA -- SVFR is likely to be a problem at a busy airport). But going somewhere at 1000 feet over the city isn't a good idea.

Why does the west coast not get corrosion like the east coast (Florida)? Corrosion seems to be a big issue over there, is it because they have storms that pick up the salt water?

You'll get good use out of an instrument rating.

Yes, there is the marine layer. However from where I'm at in Yorba Linda both CNO and AJO are about 20 minutes away (except during rush hour) so after I get a plane I will keep it at one of those. I would love to have it at CNO but to find a hanger I will probably end up at AJO. The mountains do a pretty good job of stopping the marine layer and even with the May/June Gloom it burns off by around 10am out there most days. I figure 2-3 years from now I'll work on my Instrument, then if I want it to get through marine layer I can. (As for any kind of extended flight in IMC in a single engine small plane, not interested. I'll just wait it out...)

Why does the west coast not get corrosion like the east coast (Florida)? Corrosion seems to be a big issue over there, is it because they have storms that pick up the salt water?

I think the humidity factor plays into it but someone else may have a better insight. Most of the time it is pretty dry out here.

I can only speculate. Further north, it's clearly road salt. Florida does occasionally see freezing weather, at least north. Humidity may also play a role. Even on the SoCal coast, it's pretty dry.

Corrosion will certainly be accelerated by salt spray, but humidity will cause it as well. Ever look at the engine compartment of a car that's been parked near the beach but away from the salt spray? Corrosion on all the aluminum bits like alternator housings, etc. Less humidity, less chance of corrosion. There's a reason that AMARC and SoCal Logistics, where all the mothballed planes are stored, are in the arid desert.

I think the "no rusted cars" argument is more because of galvanized metal in the unit bodies, better paint, better sealing of seams, etc. Not a lot of pre-1970s cars in Torrance these days.

Corrosion will certainly be accelerated by salt spray, but humidity will cause it as well. Ever look at the engine compartment of a car that's been parked near the beach but away from the salt spray? Corrosion on all the aluminum bits like alternator housings, etc. Less humidity, less chance of corrosion. There's a reason that AMARC and SoCal Logistics, where all the mothballed planes are stored, are in the arid desert.

I think the "no rusted cars" argument is more because of galvanized metal in the unit bodies, better paint, better sealing of seams, etc. Not a lot of pre-1970s cars in Torrance these days.
Go to Cleveland and you'll see something quite different.

There are plenty of old cars around SoCal. Not in NE Ohio, though.

The salt spray comes off the road in winter.

No argument there...the salt really accelerates the process.

Richard, I think Corona would be a great place to keep a plane. Many years ago, the place was flooded out (for those unfamiliar with Corona, it sits quite near the Prado Reservoir), but since it will never, ever, ever rain again in SoCal, I think you'd be safe!

No argument there...the salt really accelerates the process.

Richard, I think Corona would be a great place to keep a plane. Many years ago, the place was flooded out (for those unfamiliar with Corona, it sits quite near the Prado Reservoir), but since it will never, ever, ever rain again in SoCal, I think you'd be safe!

I have a friend that has his Mooney in a T-Hanger there at Corona. He really likes the airport. I've done landings there during the course of my training and I like it, but I also like having the tower at Chino. However, even if I got lucky and could find my way into a hanger at Chino it would be much more expensive than Corona. We'll see what I end up doing. I've been just window shopping the usual sites to get a feel for what is out there. The plan is to really start looking around November and hopefully have a plane by the end of this year, beginning of next year.

I agree on the rain. We would need about 3 months of it raining every day to fill the Prado Reservoir enough to flood in out again. I'm sure I could find time somewhere in that window to get the plane and anything else in the hanger to higher ground...

I agree on the rain. We would need about 3 months of it raining every day to fill the Prado Reservoir enough to flood in out again. I'm sure I could find time somewhere in that window to get the plane and anything else in the hanger to higher ground...

Exactly. In the unlikely event of multiple, heavy storms, you've got a back-up plan.

I figure you can't lose at either airport. The freedom of a nontowered is liberating, but the sequencing of traffic by the tower is a plus too. Decisions, decisions...

Ah, Zero Zero Uniform, I remember her well! I'd avoid that particular plane if possible just because the tail number was hard for me to say quickly!

Yes, some days you will be fighting the aircraft at every turn, but those are offset by those calm-air Zen flights where everything goes right, the landscape rolls serenely beneath you, all radio calls are nailed in you best Chuck Yeager voice, you stay well ahead of the plane, and everything's rainbows and unicorns. Good that you got the experience of landing in more challenging conditions.

Flight school delays as you describe really do get old quickly. All the more reason to anticipate the day when you buy your own plane...you will love the freedom, even if your wallet screams for mercy on occasion. Or always. :D It is sooooooo worth it.

I went out yesterday with the intention of flying a couple of currency approaches in the marine layer. I get there, and there is less marine layer than forecast and it's clear and a million over the departure airport, but it's still heavy over the mountains, so I preflight a 172, and it looks fine. Then I go to start the engine, turn the avionics on, and the GPS database is expired. The target airport has only GPS approaches, so I shut down and walk into the shop to get it updated. The chief mechanic takes care of it, I start up, lean for taxi, and the engine dies. Just 1/2 inch out on the mixture. That's odd.

So, I restart, get taxi clearance, head out to the run up, and the GPS has a loss of integrity error. It just started up, so maybe it hasn't acquired fully yet. Make a note to check after run up. Run it up, and the mag drops are light, and vary a lot. Did it four times, never got more than 50 RPM, and twice got zero on the left mag only. That's low for a 172. Combine that with the odd mixture setting, and I think it has a vacuum leak AND a poor ignition switch. So I park it (not being able to go full rich sounds like a bad idea), report the problems, and peek at the mountains, and the marine layer is starting to clear. Not enough time to preflight another airplane and go out there.

Dang. Another day. And the mechanic tells me it flew yesterday and no one reported anything. The GPS was just as expired yesterday (changeover date was Aug 18) so it sounds to me like someone wasn't paying attention.

Ah, Zero Zero Uniform, I remember her well! I'd avoid that particular plane if possible just because the tail number was hard for me to say quickly!

That's funny. I've been looking at planes online for quite awhile to get a feel for the market and pricing in hopes of purchasing around Nov-Jan. I find myself as I'm looking at a plane and it's tail number thinking "Would I really want to say that tail number over and over and over again?"

Dang. Another day. And the mechanic tells me it flew yesterday and no one reported anything. The GPS was just as expired yesterday (changeover date was Aug 18) so it sounds to me like someone wasn't paying attention.

What some will tolerate wrong with a plane is much different than what other's will tolerate. Some people will also just not think past their own flight to the next person using the plane... I don't have GPS in the planes I'm flying from the school, but if they did and I was just going out to fly the pattern or a local flight I probably wouldn't worry about the GPS having expired. (I would let them know when I got back.) I have found that even with the planes at the school which are very well maintained and flown constantly I will often tell them about something that they weren't aware of. There was one time I was flying with my CFI from CNO to RNM and the heading indicator was processing very rapidly. I would set it about every 15 minutes because it had drifted anywhere from 10-20 degrees (straight and level flight so it wasn't the compass that hadn't settled from a turn). I pointed it out to my CFI (we flew on as it was not going to affect our flight) and we reported it back to the school when we returned. Nobody else had said anything about it.

Awesome! Just let the training kick in and you'll do fine.

Back