NA Couple of Win10 computer questions

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
1. With Win10, Recent Items (in the Start Button menu) are gone. I thought File Explorer would do it, but it only has folders not documents/files.

2. Where can I read all about two monitor systems - I have two screens up and running but nothing ever opens on the screen I want, also I will open an app and move it to the 'other' monitor....but as soon as I ask for a print job etc, it is showing up in the first monitor grr.

1. Click on start menu icon in lower left status bar, select ALL APPS, scroll down till you find the application that is missing from the start menu, right click on it, and select "pin to start menu".
----Start menu items' "icons" appear in the window "frame" on the right side of the start menu. You may have to scroll down.

2. Click on start menu icon again (as above), select settings, select system, then select "detect" from the display graphic in the larger upper right window.

If that doesn't help and you're having trouble, go over to this link to learn more about setting up multiple displays in Win10: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd145071(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited:
1. Click on start menu icon in lower left status bar, select ALL APPS, scroll down till you find the application that is missing from the start menu, right click on it, and select "pin to start menu".

Thanks - it is text documents (mainly) that I need to find quicker....not the apps.

In that case, open the application (i.e. Word) and click on File, then Recent from the menu bar. If you want something quicker than that, look and see what your default file location is. If its not "documents" change it to that, so that you can quickly find it by selecting the "document" folder from the left side of File Explorer.

-----Oops. If you're using newer applications, like Word2016, when you open the application, it should show you a list of recent files and provide a prompt to look for older files.

Ok, I will give those ideas a try. What would be ideal is a list of recent documents or photos, pdfs etc most recent on top, the older ones disappearing on the bottom...just.like.Win7 had. (stifled sob)

If you don't already have an icon for File Explorer, you clicking on the start menu icon, selecting ALL APPS, then scrolling down to Windows System, and then to File Explorer, right click on File Explorer and select More, then Pin to Task Bar. Hope this helps.

As a matter of fact, after thinking about, I think this is what you're missing. You're not actually seeing the old File Explorer.

Last edited:
Figured it out after reading your comment about FE.
Right clicking FE has a totally different function than left clicking.
Right = folders.
Left = files
solved. thanks.

Why not solve all your problems by deleting the trash and installing Win7?
Surely I cannot be the only one thinking of this clever solution. *shrug*

1) start.....left click on file explorer. in the main window on the right you should see frequent folders AND recent files
2) this isn't win10 specific. rite click on your desktop and go to graphics properties. within that you can configure dual monitors and which is primary/secondary.

Back