There I was opening a box

AQI seems to have the best website of all that I've looked at. At least they have lots of pictures and prices for everything.

If one sends an instrument in for overhaul, will they repaint or clean the face as part of the overhaul or is that separate?

AQI seems to have the best website of all that I've looked at. At least they have lots of pictures and prices for everything.

If one sends an instrument in for overhaul, will they repaint or clean the face as part of the overhaul or is that separate?
Everything I've always gotten from AQI looks exactly like the old part but looks brand new.

I actually don't send them units for refurb as it doesn't cost much more to just have them send you one. Then you ship yours back as a core. This is nice because you can see what you're getting before you give yours up plus it saves time.

I've had a great experience with these guys. http://kelleyinstruments.com/specials.html They seemed to understand the concept of emails and how it can be an excellent communication medium.

Again, none of the shops mentioned in this thread are responsible for the goof ups I have posted. Its still not completely over and its seems like he has come off the high horse and is finally willing to discuss where the deal is going. (I haven't paid yet so I at least have that leverage)

Brian: You are showing character and patience to a remarkable degree. Let us know the resolution.

I would call and ask. If you want yours overhauled (mine have a total time of 1800 hours so I wanted them back). Be as specific as possible, if you still want the "Beech, Cessna, Piper" make sure you tell them that.

I don't necessarily want the originals back but I DO want exactly what I take out. For example airspeed indicators and the white, green and yellow arcs are aircraft specific. I don't know if mine have a logo on them. I'll go look before work today.

I have a pm to Jesse but I'll ask here. If you choose the "exchange" option, is the core charge added to the price and refunded after they receive your instrument?

I've had the same experience when I sent my instrument for an overhaul. Waited 2 weeks and then got somebody else's c*appy instrument that didn't even work right.
Some shops should not be in business anymore.
Hope you get it sorted out. You can't just reverse the CC charge because then you are stuck with a useless instrument and are one VSI short.

Used to be a great shop at HEF. I used them to overhaul and repaint my tach, beautiful job. They also worked on my 8-day clock. A couple of years later I went back to them for some more work without having got the memo that they had been bought out by a sleezy 135 operator. Went in for an IFR/XPDR inspection. They pulled the altimeter and encoder out. They said my altimeter was no good, not even as core for an exchange (this was odd as it worked fine and it had been IFR certed every 24 months prior). Told them fine, but I need the plane, I'll just fly it VFR. They told me they wouldn't release the plane until it had a new transponder. Fine, get it done ASAP, but I want the core for my wife (Margy was running an aviation education program at the time and those sorts of things are great for that). Well, I pick up the plane and find they charged me to install the new altimeter in addition (didn't I already pay to have the old one put back in?) and the core had oddly disappeared.

Heard bad stories from other local opertors I trust. Posted a negative review on Airnav and Airnav allowed them to write a ghost written review impugning me. THat's when I lost faith in both the shop and the guys at airnav.

Always, always, get referrals, and make sure the shop hasn't changed hands since the referrers used it.

I got a referral in this case... :( It was used by a relative last month.

Just a thought for anyone having an ASI overhauled anytime soon.

I had them put a yellow tick on mine at 122mph. Maneuvering speed. So now, if I hit moderate turbulence, I have a visual cue on the ASI to quickly get the speed down to without really having to think about it much.

Then I do the calcs for my actual weight and tweak from there.

Ask for the silk-screening that goes to 6000fpm. Think of the improvement in performance! Or, at least maybe resale value of the plane?

Back