[NA] Determine the owner of a software license

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Is there a site or utility where one can enter an activation key for something like MS Windows or some such software and it tell you who owns or purchased the license?

I'd expect Microsoft has such a utility for their own keys.

Some people don't like their purchases to be tracked by any old schmo on the Internet. I mean, what would you do if everyone knew you bought that blow up doll last week?

Or how many GATTS jars you own?

We're being audited and I'm trying to determine if a couple of the keys are volume licenses or single use. Couple instances of duplicate keys. Want to make sure everything is legit

We're being audited and I'm trying to determine if a couple of the keys are volume licenses or single use. Couple instances of duplicate keys. Want to make sure everything is legit
If your company has Open licensing, you can log into the portal and check your own keys (not other peoples). If they are OEM or retail keys, you are probably out of luck, but if they are valid and working, you are probably OK to continue to use them. If you need help contacting someone at MS, let me know.

If you can't find out, how will the auditors? Make them do the work and just pay the license fee if you have illegitimate software. I doubt if they are going to make a federal case out of it.

If it's BSA, hopefully you are working with counsel. They are a real PITA.

My Amazon account keeps displaying flesh colored patch kits on sale for some reason.

That's the "Often purchase with this..." special discount offer. ;)

I've never had a software auditor try to figure out what kind of key we had in anything. They just want a key number to stick in their spreadsheet next to each copy/machine. I've even just handed them a pile of license keys in a huge box and told them to figure it out once. Didn't have time for the silliness that month. Normally I'd be nicer, but they're paid by the hour and I had better things to go do to keep the company profitable.

Not sure what kind of audit you're going through but that's what I've seen over the years.

just put the server in your home basement and then there's nothing to audit .... :D

That's the "Often purchase with this..." special discount offer. ;)

I've never had a software auditor try to figure out what kind of key we had in anything. They just want a key number to stick in their spreadsheet next to each copy/machine. I've even just handed them a pile of license keys in a huge box and told them to figure it out once. Didn't have time for the silliness that month. Normally I'd be nicer, but they're paid by the hour and I had better things to go do to keep the company profitable.

Not sure what kind of audit you're going through but that's what I've seen over the years.
I've never seen a third party audit go that way. And I've never seen a third party auditor who's paid by the hour. Those letters generally come from attorneys.

I've never seen a third party audit go that way. And I've never seen a third party auditor who's paid by the hour. Those letters generally come from attorneys.

Did he say it was third party? I missed that. Missed the letter too.

Well whatever. Give the bean counting useless weenies whatever they want, but don't do their job for them.

SOC II audit. Total beating. I'm with her all day tomorrow and Friday

Back