[Humor] Fun "Home Town" Sayings

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A customer was asking me about selling their vehicle to me and how to deal with the finance company. We also talked about him keeping the payoff letter forever so that if any pond scum debt collectors called, "...you can send them a copy of the letter, directions to the nearest lake, and jumping instructions."

He laughed and then got me laughing with this response...

"Ever talk with someone and realize that you needed to buy them a brand new toaster..... for their bathtub?"​

Mine would be, "Roll Tide"! ;)
Well for Aggies anyway. :D
You know I'm joking, right Mike, well, maybe.

How about "that dog won't hunt"? "Bless your heart" Bunch of 'em down south.

Last edited:
"He's not the sharpest spoon in the knife"

Their reaction tells you how sharp they really are.

Mine would be, "Roll Tide"! ;)
Well for Aggies anyway. :D
You know I'm joking, right Mike, well, maybe.

How about "that dog won't hunt"? "Bless your heart" Bunch of 'em down south.

I think you meant "Woo Pig Suie!!!"

From my late father (raised in southeast Iowa):
- Colder than a well-digger's ass
- Colder than a witch's tit
- Slippery as snot on a doorknob

mayonnaise - "Mayonnaise there's a lot of people here."
widjadidya - "You didn't happen to bring your truck widjadidya?"

regarding a foul smell - "That would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon."
regarding something unpleasant to look at - "That's uglier than a sack of smashed arseholes."

When something stinks: "That there would gag a maggot"
When a male is just sitting around: "Squashin' his nuts"
When you wish for someone to leave the premises, you tell them to: "Kick rocks"
When someone is stressed, or really excited he's said to be: "Wound up tighter than Dick's hatband"
"Plum" or "plumb" is used as an adverb. For example: "It's getting plumb hot out here."

Boomer Sooner!

I grew up in the South. Any soda,pop or any other name for similar soft drink is called a "coke" where I grew up. Every morning all the farmers would meet at the gas station before going out to the fields. Anyone who went to the cooler would always offer everyone else one, it was just common manners. The conversation went like this:

"Anyone want a coke?"
"Yes, I'll take one."
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Dr. Pepper"

Which is it, War Eagle or Tiger?

And its "Arkansans" ;)

We are the Tigers, complete with a national award-winning costumed Tiger mascot.

No one remembers the origin of the War Eagle. The story I've heard the most was that a local Indian used to come to football games around the time that Johnny Heisman was coaching here (yes, that Heisman). Said Indian had a trained eagle he hunted with. When the Indian passed away, the eagle kept coming to the games. The more it flew around the field, the better our team played, so it became an unofficial second mascot.

When I was a student here, the eagle lived in the largest outdoor aviary in the country, smack in the middle of campus. It was a beautiful, large golden eagle named Tiger. She just passed away and was buried on campus right after I moved back in early 2014.

****************** getting back on track ********************

About an untrustworthy person: he's lower than a snake's belly.
(My uncle who never swears once described a man as "he ain't worth frog spit.")
Ask your friends when you're hungry: djeetyet?
Pointing across the room: it's ovair.
When it's down the road a few miles, point and say: it's over yonderways.
Yell at kids/dogs in the yard: G-onout-ahyar! (one long word, nice and loud) to make them leave.

I never knew what to call folks from Arkansas, and will endeavor to remember "Arkansans," even if I can't pronounce it. Can't make it sound like "Arkansaw" at all, more like "Ar-kansas" which folks from both states don't like. "Hogs breath is better than no breath at all" is the only other thing I know about Arkansas, one of three U.S. states I have yet to visit.

I grew up in the South. Any soda,pop or any other name for similar soft drink is called a "coke" where I grew up. Every morning all the farmers would meet at the gas station before going out to the fields. Anyone who went to the cooler would always offer everyone else one, it was just common manners. The conversation went like this:

"Anyone want a coke?"
"Yes, I'll take one."
"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Dr. Pepper"

This confused the hell out of me during my first trip to Atlanta.

I like that story Hank, I'd never heard it before. Makes sense. To piggy back on your djeetyet comment.

Djeetyet?
Naw...jew?
Naw...yont to?

I should thank Jeff Foxworthy for these but they aren't his. It really IS how people talk, he just repeated it and since he's famous, everyone listens.

I like that story Hank, I'd never heard it before. Makes sense. To piggy back on your djeetyet comment.

Djeetyet?
Naw...jew?
Naw...yont to?

I should thank Jeff Foxworthy for these but they aren't his. It really IS how people talk, he just repeated it and since he's famous, everyone listens.

Yep, that was me and a roommate in college back in the 80s, when no one had ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy.

Which is it, War Eagle or Tiger?

And its "Arkansans" ;)

Actually, old timers prefer Arkansawyer. More recently it's morphed into Arkansan. Arkie is more fun though! :)

Arkansan can't even be pronounced properly being that the state is ArkanSAW and not Ar-Kansas.

Describing cold weather. "It's colder'n a mother in law's love"

Voicing exclamation in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. "Holy-Wa!!"

Several, again in the UP. "Couple two-tree a dem"

Agreement, in the UP. "Oh Ya!" or "Ya, eh?" Extreme agreement. "Oh Ya d'air hey. Fer sure"

The UP. "Da Uppe"

What a waitress says in the UP. "What can I get youse taday?"

Last edited:
Describing cold weather. "It's colder'n a mother in law's love"

Voicing exclamation in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. "Holy-Wa!!"

Several, again in the UP. "Couple two-tree a dem"

Agreement, in the UP. "Oh Ya!" or "Ya, eh?" Extreme agreement. "Oh Ya d'air hey. Fer sure"

The UP. "Da Uppe"

What a waitress says in the UP. "What can I get youse taday?"

Also from the UP: "Put it going!"

I used to work with a hayseed who's favorite saying was, "Well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!" You could usually count on him saying that at least once an hour.

In Kansas, people say "shucky darn." Where I came from in South Dakota/Minnesota, people say "Uff da."

I grew up in rural Texas..... When Jeff Foxworthy showed up most people around here could not understand why he was funny, since everyone talked like that.

As a kid I remember hearing.... He is happier than a hog in sunshine...

Well bust my britches...

Sakes alive, if that don't ever....

And one I was not supposed to hear...... That boy is red on the head like a dick on a dog....

We have a few sayings I've come across involving a rather vulgar word for excrement.

"Well I'll be dipped in excrement."

We also have phrases that initially appear to bee opposites but one is just a more intense version of the other:

"You have excrement for brains."
and
"You don't have excrement for brains."

We have a few sayings I've come across involving a rather vulgar word for excrement.

"Well I'll be dipped in excrement."

We also have phrases that initially appear to bee opposites but one is just a more intense version of the other:

"You have excrement for brains."
and
"You don't have excrement for brains."

Now you've stirred up a hornet's nest.

"Haw are you?"

"Fine as frog hair split three ways."

Faster than a five-dollar whore on dollar night.

Actually, old timers prefer Arkansawyer. More recently it's morphed into Arkansan. Arkie is more fun though! :)

Arkansan can't even be pronounced properly being that the state is ArkanSAW and not Ar-Kansas.

No, its ARkinsaw. But its mentioned in the bible at least.

Noah looked out of the Arkansas a dove with an olive branch.

Back