Close Encounter Of The Bird Kind.

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd

Out flying today, working on my mad aviator skills.
I'm number one in the pattern for runway 26, on a 3 mile right base and I flew into a flock of 10+ turkey vultures. I even caught a little of it on my GoPro.
I assumed I missed everything, because I didn't feel any impact, and nothing joined me in the cockpit.
While I was pushing the plane back to it's spot on the line I found feathers wedged in right flap. No blood or gore, just some feathers.
I'll post some video as soon as I can process it.
Just another day at the office.
Here is a short video. I'm disappointed the camera did not catch more of the vultures, Only three on the extreme upper right.
The birds on the left were so close I could see their eyes.

Last edited:
That was close....

Turkey vultures are fairly big birds. Not as big as Canada geese, but enough to be a concern.

I'd take a good look for dents around where the feathers were found, just to be sure. In the flap area, that might possibly cause some binding.

We went over the plane from prop to tail, wings to wheels. Other than half a dozen feathers, nothing. The resident "expert" opines that the bird skimmed across the boundary layer, and never actually impacted the plane except for the feathers.

Yikes, glad it ended up being a non-event. That's scary stuff!

Bet you scared out a little bird poop.

Gotta be careful around birds. Several dozen turkey vultures lived where I was based my first seven years. If you come close to them, even a hundred feet or so below them, they fold their wings and dive. It's amazing his well you can see their eyes as they fall unexpectedly out of the sky above you and pass under your wing . . .

Flying with vultures... and balloons

26214824461_42173d355d_b.jpg

Turkey Vultures are huge. A little Google-foo: "It's a large bird with an average weight of 1.4 kg (3.1 lb) and a wingspan of 173-183 cm (68-72 inches)." At the airport I hang out, there's a drop off runway 23 and they like to catch thermals there. Many times I've had to dodge them as they floated on the currents.

Here in AZ vultures are everywhere, especially it seems off the end of the runway at KRYN :) maybe I'm just paranoid. :)

No harm, no fowl. :D

I'm glad you missed them and there's no damage to either you or the airframe.

The eagles around Juneau think they own the airspace.

And they do not give way very easily.

I think you would have heard and felt it if/when you hit a buzzard......

One of the little bastards tagged me today. I guess that's one way to start the hunting season but not the away I wanted to take the first bird!
Good thing it was a small swallow or I think we might have needed a new windshield.
WP_20160823_18_03_59_Pro.jpg

Almost tagged a bald eagle with my windshield few months back, now those are big birds

Gotta be careful around birds. Several dozen turkey vultures lived where I was based my first seven years. If you come close to them, even a hundred feet or so below them, they fold their wings and dive. It's amazing his well you can see their eyes as they fall unexpectedly out of the sky above you and pass under your wing . . .

When you get up close and personal, they look just like Whoopi Goldberg.

Back