Piper Arrow III annual cost

Csoechting

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charles Soechting
ive had my Arrow III for one year. It came with a fresh annual and it is time for an inspection. The first annual was a very in depth inspection that also my prepuchase inspection. This year the mechanic says the base price is $3,800 plus whatever he finds. He says that is Pipers recommendation number of hours 40 X 95 (shop rate). Great mechanic but is this high?

Seems high to me. Just one data point but the base rate for a Cirrus SR22 annual (no landing gear but overall more expensive plane) is in the $2200-2500 range

Thanks, I am dealing with going somewhere else after 26 years but it just seems high. Thanks

My piper arrow I annual was $650... 3800 seems way high pre squawks etc.

WTF?

Base price on my complex 300hp plane is 1k.

I'd look for another APIA, sounds like you're making someone's mortgage payments.

wayyyyyy high brother. Mine down here is a flat fee pre-mx for 1600 and I consider it high (but location forces my hand). 3.8k? That's pressurized twin inspection money. It's a wobble leg cherokee, you're getting scalped, period dot. Go somewhere else.

you're getting ripped off big time. Annual inspection on an Arrow per the maintenance manual should be right around 20 hours without squawks. Then anything that needs repairs should be billed at the hourly rate above the 20 hours. Ridiculous

Just about same as James for me. My 300hp complex base price is $1100.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My Navion runs about $1700 for the base inspection. Usually costs me another AMU in deferred maintenance that needs to be done.

WTF?

Base price on my complex 300hp plane is 1k.

I'd look for another APIA, sounds like you're making someone's mortgage payments.

That's more like you're making someone's "my kid got into a prestigious private university, and plans to graduate in 6 years"-payments.

Based on quick search at piperforums, that is roughly twice the average.

My first inspection was under $1,000 and that included findings. My mechanic left so I'm searching. I have settled on my next guy. I guess I better actually get a quote

Piper Arrow II here and my base inspection cost is right around $800. Of course it will turn into more with repairs, but I believe that is really high. I've been doing more and more owner assisted maintenance now that my APIA knows me and I know him he is more trusting. This year shouldn't be bad for me at all. Not sure if you have the time, desire, or skill to help but you could find an AP and do the work yourself? Good luck!

This has me concerned.. On my arrow iii, my first year annual was over $10,000 (they had to do some work on the bearings and rigging), second year was $6,500 with only 1 squawk... shop rate is $95/hr. I take apart the interior and open the inspection holes.

If we can do owner assisted it's in the $1000 range. If we don't have time and he does it all himself, it's normally $1500 plus repairs.

This has me concerned.. On my arrow iii, my first year annual was over $10,000 (they had to do some work on the bearings and rigging), second year was $6,500 with only 1 squawk... shop rate is $95/hr. I take apart the interior and open the inspection holes.

Unless your single second-year squawk was something huge, your shop is royally screwing you.

My 421B was less than that!! I think with squawks, I was always under $10K, usually under $8K! Flat rate on my 182 is $11-1200.00 I don't recall the exact number, still usually in the $22-2500 range with all repairs, oil change etc. Picked up and delivered normally. :)

The shop I use doesnt have a flat rate for annual. They just take the amount of hours it takes to inspect everything and then multiply times by the $95/hr. The squawk for the second year was an exhaust pipe needed replacement. Nothing besides that. I'll give it one more year.
But it sounds like it shouldn't be any more than $2,000?

The shop I use doesnt have a flat rate for annual. They just take the amount of hours it takes to inspect everything and then multiply times by the $95/hr. The squawk for the second year was an exhaust pipe needed replacement. Nothing besides that. I'll give it one more year.

I can't fathom why you'd even give them another year (Stockholm Syndrome, I guess), but for an owner-assisted annual (where you're doing the heavy lifting by removing interior, etc.), I think even $2k is high for a no-squawk annual on an Arrow.

I replaced the entire exhaust system on my Arrow for less than $1000. I think your shop is not doing you any favors. The other part of this is that you should be able to figure out the base rate by lookin gin the manual at the amount of time it should take to do the job and multiply that by the shop rate. I think you should look into changing shops, but your monkey your circus.

1975 Arrow II. Base Annual Inspection 15 hrs @ $55/hr = $825.

However, I had a lot of stuff done this year: Shimmy dampener replaced, re-bushed gear, re-built both main landing gear actuators (they were leaking. Nose actuator was fine), had electric trim servo removed and replaced after I sent it out for repair, replaced some baffling, etc. Another 53 hours of labor above and beyond the inspection, plus misc parts - air filter element, ELT battery pack, etc. Total bill was just under $4K. This is a HIGH annual for me, but not overpriced based on what all I had done.

I normally budget for about $1500 - $2000, which would include the base annual plus some miscellaneous items that either have come due, or are found.

Run away from this $3800 base annual.

Yikes... Had no idea I was being ripped off. My mechanic said these were normal prices for arrows. Glad this thread was created!

Definitely looks high to me. We've had $3000 "annuals" but that was when things like motor mounts were seen to be degraded and it was time to replace them, and aileron hinges only available from the current STC holder for the STOL kit at $900 a pop were done. No way an inspection only costs that much. Just do the hourly math on what that ends up being, and that becomes clear.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay high.

My Comanche's annual inspection is $750. 15 hrs x $50/hr
All the squawks, parts, freight for parts, and labor (including the $750 above) this year came out to $2061.44

Looking at the invoice again, that included 5 extra quarts of oil. (I buy it a case at a time)

I don't know where you guys find shops to do it for so cheap... I called around but couldn't find anyone that did arrows for under $3,000. I had a nearby shop do a weight and balance on my plane. Was charged over $1500 for it. I'm doing something wrong here guys.

Also $50/hr? Wow thats good. Unfortunately MI is too far away or else I'd send you a pm!

I don't know where you guys find shops to do it for so cheap... I called around but couldn't find anyone that did arrows for under $3,000. I had a nearby shop do a weight and balance on my plane. Was charged over $1500 for it. I'm doing something wrong here guys.

Also $50/hr? Wow thats good. Unfortunately MI is too far away or else I'd send you a pm!
Why part of the country are you in?
Jesus 1500 for a W&B. WTF..

What places are you calling? Big name repair stations or small "mom and pop" maintenance shops? If the former, that's why everything is so expensive. The best thing you can do is get some word-of-mouth recommendations for local, small shops. Even then you have to be careful and do your due diligence, but you're likely to find more reasonable pricing at Bob's Airplane Maintenance than at Technic Air (Signature's maintenance arm).

Your Independent -IA not working in a FBO is always your best deal.
When you stop to realize that the Arrow requires a gear swing. and the equipment to do that, the pubs, travel time, and having the aircraft in your own hangar while all this happens is worth every cent, no matter what they charge.

ive had my Arrow III for one year. It came with a fresh annual and it is time for an inspection. The first annual was a very in depth inspection that also my prepuchase inspection. This year the mechanic says the base price is $3,800 plus whatever he finds. He says that is Pipers recommendation number of hours 40 X 95 (shop rate). Great mechanic but is this high?
Had you found your A&P-IA first and had them help in the purchase as you should have, you'd not be here with these questions.

20 hours? that's 2 mechs working 10 hour day or 4 mechs working a 5 hour day.
but I want to watch a single mechanic work a 24 hour day and do a proper annual on a PA-28 arrow. because that's one busy Sum-ich. having no problems and the AD research already done. those Arrows have ADs that are very difficult to verify as completed or not.
For those who would argue that there is a log for that, is trusting the prior entries to be correct.

Your Independent -IA not working in a FBO is always your best deal.
When you stop to realize that the Arrow requires a gear swing. and the equipment to do that, the pubs, travel time, and having the aircraft in your own hangar while all this happens is worth every cent, no matter what they charge.

That.

I don't use shops, I hire the man who's going to be laying hands on my plane. I pay cash and do owner assists with me providing all parts, minus a oddball brake pad or something like that.

Tools for a gear swing? I just use a floor jack and some wood bridging under my keels, or I do it in the water in front of the house ;)

All jokes aside, ask around your airport, or tell the folks here where you're based and I'm sure someone in the great POA continuum will have a recommend wrench.

That.

I don't use shops, I hire the man who's going to be laying hands on my plane. I pay cash and do owner assists with me providing all parts, minus a oddball brake pad or something like that.

Tools for a gear swing? I just use a floor jack and some wood bridging under my keels, or I do it in the water in front of the house ;)
You may do that, But IF I do that and screw it up how Pizzed are you going to be?

I pay cash and do owner assists with me providing all parts, minus a oddball brake pad or something like that..
When you have oddball parts why aren't you stocking them?

"1975 Arrow II. Base Annual Inspection 15 hrs @ $55/hr = $825."

Those hours seem about right and should include routine servicing that is normally done at annual. Shop rates are going to vary considerably depending on where you live and whether you take it to a repair station, dealer, or small shop. Squawks are always extra.

How else would you jack it up? --- Shoulda said small parts
There are proper aircraft jacks for the job. -- when you have been thru an annual or 2 you should know what parts are needed and have them on hand, you should know you'll need tires and have them already.
I know a few that have 40 drawer organizers full of small parts that make AS&S envious

"1975 Arrow II. Base Annual Inspection 15 hrs @ $55/hr = $825."

Those hours seem about right and should include routine servicing that is normally done at annual. Shop rates are going to vary considerably depending on where you live and whether you take it to a repair station, dealer, or small shop. Squawks are always extra.
when you have shopped around and found some one to do it that cheap only proves one thing.

Back