Cooling the airplane

Looks more suited for personal use at an office workspace than cooling down the inside of an airplane.

3 dec C for over $300. How long does the charge last? How long does the cooler pack last?

I haven't used one of the icebox coolers. Instead I just climb to where the temperature is cooler and open the vents which cools things down pretty quick. I'm not sure this thing would work well in a plane, as others have mentioned.

We have a B-Kool that we use in our cheyenne and arrow. I can turn it on and off with a remote control sitting inside the FBO.

http://www.b-kool.net

We don't go anywhere in the summer without it

We have a B-Kool that we use in our cheyenne and arrow. I can turn it on and off with a remote control sitting inside the FBO.

http://www.b-kool.net

We don't go anywhere in the summer without it

Just curious how this plugs in? Do you hook it up to the outlet in your aircraft, or have a portable battery pack?

I built one. It will usually keep me cool to altitude, and back down on a round trip cross country. The wife has an ice recipe, it saves money. I can have her send it to you.

Simple forced air devices over ice can actually be VERY efficient air conditioners but that stupid little thing with a refreezable pack ain't gonna do squat.

5-gallon-bucket-air-conditioner.jpg

Put that thing in a 110+ degree airplane and it may be enough to cool off my big toe at most.

Wow, that thing will have absolutely no effect in an aircraft. I have a hard time believing the ad copy, but even if you take it at face value, you have:

* 5 degrees F cooling
* In a medium size room
* With "good insulation" (meaning no heat flux)
* Over 24 hours

Which is basically like absolutely no use-case I've ever seen for cooling.

Small airplanes have:

* High heat flux (lots of glass surface, direct exposure to the sun)
* Basically non-existent insulation
* Rapid air exchange
* A need for rapid cooling due to short use times

It's the same engineering principle as the big ice coolers, but even the big coolers are best when you're hogging the outlet.

Just curious how this plugs in? Do you hook it up to the outlet in your aircraft, or have a portable battery pack?

We use a Duracell 12V 14Ah AGM battery and run the B kool off that. Once we get the aircraft started, we get the air conditioning running.. or in the arrow turn it off via remote when we get to cruise altitude

I'm lucky enough to have the AC option in the 172 SP...it's glorious. Simply fantastic. I lose a tad bit of baggage space and a ~60 lb hit to gross but it's totally worth it.

I built one of those homemade thingy's. Never used it once... worthless.

I've heard that a simple styrofoam cooler with holes on one side, small battery operated fan on the other, and dry-ice works wonders and is super cheap to build!

Not related to the airplane use-case, but the device originally referenced, I just realized, does less than nothing.

How do you get the cool source for it? Put the unit in the freezer.
Where does the freezer exhaust its heat to? Into the room.

So, unless your freezer is in the garage or otherwise away from the house, this device will actually heat your house by proxy through the freezer.

Back