CTAF door code follies

In my mind it should have an apostrophe if there is actual ownership or possession of the item in question and no apostrophe if the item is merely for the use or benefit of the group
Therefore, Mothers Day and Veterans Day. No ownership or possession.

What's annoying is jetway door codes. I spend to much time on the ground looking for a ramper to tell me the darn code. Or for the case of O'Hare you need a code from he$$. @Greg Bockelman

What makes it even better is being run down by the port authority police because I walked to the next jetway which had its door open. Those dudes have way to much time on their hands

Which restaurant? I lived in Maynard until a year and a half ago. Small world.

Back in the 70's. I was doing DEC field service training at The Mill. The restaurant was off of Powder Mill Road and I don't remember the name.

It's an association of Pilots NOT an association belonging to pilots. In the signage it's a lounge for pilots not a lounge belonging to pilots.

It's an association of Pilots NOT an association belonging to pilots. In the signage it's a lounge for pilots not a lounge belonging to pilots.

Nahhhh...

How about the local bank that is named:

Peoples Bank

Explain that one without an apostrophe.

Or...on the opposite side...the wood carved yard signs that people put in front of their house.

"The Johnson's"

I guess it could be interpreted at being possessive, like "this house is the Johnson's." But I seriously suspect they're being carved by an idiot.

My flying club's flight time log refers to "Hobb" time. :rolleyes:

At least they didn't call it "Hobb's" time. ;)

Back in the 70's. I was doing DEC field service training at The Mill. The restaurant was off of Powder Mill Road and I don't remember the name.

I only lived there from 2012-2014. DEC is gone but the Mill is still there. I lived a quarter mile from it. Did you ever fly out of Minute Man?

Engrish's so difficurt.

Being the youngest of ten kids, seven of us boys, I was taught to be a smart ass at a very young age.

In early grade school when the teacher told us: "remember kids, i before e except after c."

One of my older brothers had me ready for it.

Little Johnny...um I mean...Little Timmy raised his hand.

"Yes, Tim?"

"That's a weird rule Ms. Hogenmueller!"

Locks keep opportunists out. Therefore it makes no sense to be extravagant about it. The opportunist sees a lock and moves on to the next place not locked. The guy that really wants to get in brought the tools necessary to do so.

Being the youngest of ten kids, seven of us boys, I was taught to be a smart ass at a very young age.

In early grade school when the teacher told us: "remember kids, i before e except after c."

"Yes, Tim?"

So many exceptions to that rule they're hard to count.

"Yes, Tim?"

Should have told her to tell that to her "neighbor" or better check her "weight" or how about the color; "beige"... long "a" rule

frazz-ibeforee.gif

Locks keep opportunists out. Therefore it makes no sense to be extravagant about it. The opportunist sees a lock and moves on to the next place not locked. The guy that really wants to get in brought the tools necessary to do so.
I always heard it as, "Locks keep honest people honest."

I only lived there from 2012-2014. DEC is gone but the Mill is still there. I lived a quarter mile from it. Did you ever fly out of Minute Man?
No, but I took the DEC helicopter shuttle from The Mill parking lot to the Framingham plant and back.

Also Guard.

And, Michigan has a common code that works at most airports.

Someone should make a sign next to one of those that says, "Guuuuaaaaaarrrrrrdddd!"

At one airport the 4-digit code is XYYX on an electronic lock. The X and Y buttons are worn to the nubs and all the rest look brand new.

Looking at a keypad with a FLIR type heat camera after someone uses it is a great way to get the digits. If timed well in the correct temperature ranges, the last digit will be the brightest, too. ;)

This is at one of the airports I fly into... name obscured to protect the morons who came up with this idea. :)

541386_4490256183419_1849340840_n.jpg

LOL! I like the cut of their jib!

I could never figure out if "Pilots" should be plural or possessive in this application. Works either way.

Depends on who owns the lounge and how many pilots will fit inside, both. ;)

Peoples Bank
Trademarks are fanciful. Here we have two (unrelated) businesses. Lowe's (Home Improvement) and Lowes (grocery).
Or...on the opposite side...the wood carved yard signs that people put in front of their house.

"The Johnson's"
This one is wrong, but it's a pretty common mistake.

I tried it this morning. The default code still works.

The bind moggles.....

My brother had a job auditing physical security at banks a while back. Said another way, he got paid to break into banks.

One of their go-to tricks was to check the default codes on the top selling 2-3 locks whenever they found them. That worked about 60-70% of the time.

I've heard that too, but I don't buy it. Honest people are honest, period.
An honest person stops once he finds a lock. A crook finds a way around said lock, usually through it. It used to be closed was enough, now we need locks, safes, or armed guards.

And if you happen to have six different keys for Cessna, Piper, etc. you will be able to unlock at least one airplane on the ramp!

So, basically what you're saying is that it's a two word proper noun: "Pilots Lounge".

I'll buy that and stand corrected! ;)

I wouldn't say it is a proper noun. What you have here is called a noun adjunct (or an adjectival noun) where a noun is used as an adjective to describe another noun. The common example is "chicken soup." Chicken describes the soup even though it is a noun.

Shreveport downtown had a combo lock on the restrooms. The code was 7700.

Broken urinal in the Avionics shop restroom had an INOP sign taped to it.

I wouldn't say it is a proper noun. What you have here is called a noun adjunct (or an adjectival noun) where a noun is used as an adjective to describe another noun. The common example is "chicken soup." Chicken describes the soup even though it is a noun.

So if you made soup for a large group of people and used more than one chicken, would it be "Chickens Soup"?

Back