Does a Commercial license have any TSA privileges?

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Hello- Does having a commercial license give me any ability to get into the short / crew lines when I fly on major airlines at airports with TSA security checkpoints? I already have pre-check, but at some airports that line is just as long as the other. Thanks

You can use crew lines if you are airline crew member, otherwise you have to wait your turn like the rest of us.

Are you employed with an airline as a known crew member? if not, than it doesn't offer any benefits for the TSA. You're no more than a mere average Joe.

Although, the TSA should have a line designated especially for POA members, because we are a special group of people. :D

When precheck became popular this summer I started hoping I didn't get precheck. When i did get precheck TSA would get mad when I took my precheck boarding pass to the general boarding line even thought the general boarding had nobody in line. Precheck would have 15-20 people waiting, why would I go there when I could just go to the normal line.

Last few months the only thing I've found holding up the precheck line are the people are are there for the first time. They have their laptops out, shoes and belts off and they're looking around for a bin to put them in - there aren't any. Meanwhile everyone else is patiently (and sometimes impatiently) standing behind them while they get dressed and repack everything again.

Seriously, if they're going to send people through the precheck line, there should be a training they go through so they know what to do :rolleyes:

Hi,
I will be student pilot soon to make sitting in the cockpit an option. Comm pilots go thru tsa all the time.

Darrell
LMAO. Everything he says here is true. As a Student Pilot he WILL be sitting in a cockpit. Just not an air carrier cockpit. And he is correct about Comm pilots going through TSA all the time. They just happen to be employed buy an approves air carrier.

Hello- Does having a commercial license give me any ability to get into the short / crew lines when I fly on major airlines at airports with TSA security checkpoints? I already have pre-check, but at some airports that line is just as long as the other. Thanks

Nope. You have to be an airline pilot and be authenticated in CASS. If you don't know what CASS is, then get in line with everyone else.

Hi,
I will be student pilot soon to make sitting in the cockpit an option. Comm pilots go thru tsa all the time.

Darrell
Assuming you're meaning an airliner cockpit..? If this was true we'd all be flying jumpseat wherever we want to. Not the case.

You can't even use your pilot certificate as ID for the airport. I keep trying to convince them I'm the one with the mustache to no avail (I don't know who the bald guy is).
I use my TWIC card instead.

You can't even use your pilot certificate as ID for the airport. I keep trying to convince them I'm the one with the mustache to no avail (I don't know who the bald guy is).
I use my TWIC card instead.
your privilege didn't work?.....:lol:

I've gone through crew lines before. Just wear your license on a lanyard and walk with confidence. The TSA guys dont give a crap.

I've gone through crew lines before. Just wear your license on a lanyard and walk with confidence. The TSA guys dont give a crap.
I could see this being easy to do. They don't seem to care who's in what line. They just take your boarding pass and ID anyway. Just don't go to the precheck line without precheck on your pass would probably be the best bet.

TSA doesn't give a crap what line you go in or who you are. Lines (apart from "pre") are controlled by the airport or the airlines. I've seen pilots in uniform with their 50 badges on a lanyard being harassed over their extra ounce of toothpaste.

According to their own leaked audits the TSA is cerifiably awful at detecting firearms, explosives and such... but an extra ounce of toothpaste, they're all over that!

TSA-pre was a nice improvement, although performance varies by airport. Some are great, and others it's a joke with them just flooding the queue with "non-pre" folks who don't know what's going on while some TSA agent screams at them to keep laptops in bags and shoes on.

Last edited:
TSA is such a joke...

Why do you find it hard to believe ? Just curious.

I may be 'assuming' they were referring to the TSA crew line where you have to be CASS authenticated. Maybe before they could do it but even with CASS they do random checks of a pilot's credentials, at least 3 years ago.

I may be 'assuming' they were referring to the TSA crew line where you have to be CASS authenticated. Maybe before they could do it but even with CASS they do random checks of a pilot's credentials, at least 3 years ago.
Some airports (smaller) the crew (think airport employee) line only gets you to the front of the normal line. This is what I'm thinking OP is referring to. Still have to take your shoes off and the whole lot (unless you're in uniform, but not required to use the crew line). Now if it's the KCM which I don't think your average private/pt 91 commercial pilot even knows about, that's a different story all together. I dont exactly know what OP is referring too though so who knows.

Yeah I see that if the OP is referring to the normal line. I think he might of just been trying to be funny? :dunno:

No, you could try, but if you push it you might be under higher scrutiny.

No @NJP_MAN is correct. I just meant a normal line.
Really all you have to do in some cases is get past the person that directs you which line to take. Sometimes this person is TSA or a contracted security company. If you can convince them to let you in the first class or biz class line then you might make it work. I wouldn't have to try it because I'm preferred passenger with an airline so I get that lane anyway. Additionally, I wouldn't try it because it may cause some problems and I don't want to be on any kind of a no-fly list. So I play by the rules.

They use a slightly smaller diameter anal probe.

I was just thinking that when I saw the thread. I've since realized that you can't put 2 gallons of water into a 1 gallon jug.

I was just thinking that when I saw the thread. I've since realized that you can't put 2 gallons of water into a 1 gallon jug.
You can if you drink the first gal before putting in the second Gallon.

That's why my boss likes me. I think outside the box.

(That's a lie. My boss hates me.)

Back