Teardrop Camper

I was on a trailer kick and was about to buy one... Instead I went and blew $1,900 on a canned ham trailer that had been sitting on a lease for a few decades. She's a 1969 Globestar 21. I've had it two years and it's a slow moving (aka I keep forgetting since she's parked 45 minutes away) restoration project.

20140524_170936_Ranch Road 470.jpg

Nice work.

I'm kinda partial to the fifth wheel, but can appreciate the work that went into that.

Yup...4x8. 1/8" ply skin (doubled on the roof) over 1x2 framing.

Unfortunately when we moved to Kansas, it had to live outside and died from black mold.:(

I ended up building a small utility trailer on the frame.
Was it sealed with urethane or something?

Epoxy...apparently I didn't do a good job on the door frames, because that's where the moisture got in.

I'd love to build one, but I think I'd need @timwinters help... I'm skilled enough with a hammer to leave plenty of air holes.

I have a 1946 Tourette in original condition. I'll dig up some pictures. All polished aluminum and sleeps two easily. I had a frame built to start a copy of the same trailer but something that I can trick out with all of the extras without destroying the original unit. I pull it with my 57 Chevy wagon. Fun camper.

Looks great but I see one giant flaw, since you are a pilot you should have made it a true airfoil shape! Like a usa35b, or a symmetrical airfoil for that real sporty look.

In all seriousness it looks great, let us know how she does when you get to use it. I have never really talked to anyone who built a teardrop but can see some advantages over a pop up of tent camper.
Are you going to put some outriggers on it to keep her steady when you are entering, exiting, ejaculating ?

Looks great but I see one giant flaw, since you are a pilot you should have made it a true airfoil shape! Like a usa35b, or a symmetrical airfoil for that real sporty look.

That would probably be the "Cub" in this design library:
http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Design_Library.html

But then you'd probably have to paint it yellow and put a Piper logo somewhere :)

Of those shapes, the "Cub" is my favorite in terms of looks but I always thought it a little impractical and inefficient in terms of materials and labor. For that reason, I was eyeing the "Grumman". I even considered installing the logos from an AA5B :)

No outriggers. I'll beat that horse if I come across it.

Made its first trip down the highway today.

Disregard the building materials everywhere.

Inside:
3026e858fb49e814db32ecfc8a1326ac.jpg

f5be22e2a9fa8d7198d434d4b9de35c1.jpg

9698cc04d5c80b66b22cd07367b587bf.jpg

f11ffe62b56b515d7a424c5a5b89c636.jpg

Cabinets are part way done. That's the next thing I need to finish.

Thanks guys, instead of being a productive member of society today I've been Google and youtubing how to make little travel trailers.

Ps. Looks very nice and I want one

Thanks guys, instead of being a productive member of society today I've been Google and youtubing how to make little travel trailers.

Ps. Looks very nice and I want one
Glad I could help :)

Using aluminum is easier but finished wood makes people stare.

I camp with a guy who built one. It was very nice, although in his version there were issues with the removal of condensation overnight. He used it for a few seasons, but then switched to a camper shell over a Tacoma, because we started going into areas with rough trails.

We had one when I was growing up. Mom and Dad slept in the trailer. My brother and I typically slept in the car (station wagon). Dad had a tent frame built that attached to the side of the trailer providing a dressing room, etc. Put a shelf on the driver side of the trailer to carry the tent frame and canvas in a canvas cover when on the road. I'd post pictures, but I don't have any (that I know of). Sometime in the mid to late 60s they sold it. I think I'd suffer from claustrophobia trying to sleep in one now.

In choosing the axle and its placement, how much thought goes into the weight-and balance of a trailer?

In choosing the axle and its placement, how much thought goes into the weight-and balance of a trailer?
A rule of thumb is to have the tongue weight of 7 to 10%.

Typical placement for a teardrop was 2/3 of the way back when I looked. Seems to work well as a lot of the heavy stuff is near the back.

I finally got around to posting a picture of my old teardrop camper. It's a lot of fun. I wish we could get out more.
itg029.jpg

That is pretty cool. Where did you get the plans? What size is the bed in that thing?

Cheated and bought a Silver Shadow. Started out looking for something to tow behind my motorcycle. But being 6'6 most stuff was too small. This thing tows easy. Just big enough to sleep my 6'6 frame plus my wife. AC is just enough. LED lights are awesome. Almost too bright. Only used the TV once. Heat the thing with an electric blanket. Galley is a wonderful addition to my old chuck box. Use a small Westinghouse generator to power it, or charge batteries. But at my height, (6'6) not so easy. I have a changing room on the radar as a possible addition. After that, don't need much else.

Back