Where do you complete your run-up?

steviedeviant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StevieD
I generally fly out of KBHM (a Class C) and was always trained to complete my run-up on the taxi way right before entering the runway at the hold short line. So that is the only Class C airport that I have currently flown in and out, so I have always done it the same way. On non-towered fields, I have done the same thing. However, I was watching a video on YouTube of a pilot leaving a Class C airport and they conducted the run-up for their Cherokee 140 on the ramp (non-movement) area.

So my question is, how do you know where to do the run-up at any particular airport? Other than calling the airport, I know, is there another way to know, or is it just most of the time the way I am doing it now it correct?

I am learning a lot here and appreciate the feedback.

StevieD

Last edited:
I always do it at the hold short line, unless there is a runup area (normally a wide spot along the taxiway), in which case I'll use it. My first home field had no taxiway, we all did our runup on the 100' long "taxiway" from the ramp to the runway. I do the same visiting other taxiwayless uncontrolled fields.

Don't runup on the ramp,it's rude to planes parked around and especially behind you. Always be aware of what's behind you when doing your runup--you are moving a lot of air that way!

Last edited:
I generally fly out of KBHM (a Class C) and was always trained to complete my run-up on the taxi way right before entering the runway at the hold short line. So that is the only Class C airport that I have currently flown in and out, so I have always done it the same way. On non-towered fields, I have done the same thing. However, I was watching a video on YouTube of a pilot leaving a Class C airport and they conducted the run-up for their Cherokee 140 on the ramp (non-movement) area.

So my question is, how do you know where to do the run-up at any particular airport? Other than calling the airport, I know, is there another way to know, or is it just most of the time the way I am doing it now it correct?

I am learning a lot here and appreciate the feedback.

StevieD
during training i was taught to do the runup on the ramp but away from other planes so as to be ready to go and not hold up traffic at the hold shortbline. and if that was not possible then to use the runup area. last choice was the hold short line. i was once delayed for about 15-minutes while another pilot did his runup at the hold short line. looking back i should've asked ground for permission to turn around and taxi to the nearest exit and take off from there but i was green and waited him out.

Last edited:
It depends, and it's personal choice. Some airports have a run-up area adjacent to the departure end of the runway, some do not. I generally like to do my run-up on the ramp so I'm ready to go when I get to the runway, provided I have a clear spot not to blow anyone else away.

Some place that makes sense and is enough out of the way such that an aircraft can pass. If there's no such location, a rolling runup if it's busy, or at the hold short. At towered fields where I'm not sure if there's a runup area, I'll just mention taxi for "runup and departure" to the ground controller and they'll tell me. If I'm absolutely unsure and I wasn't able to (or plain forgot to) ask the FBO, I'll ask the ground controller, "hey man, where should I do my runup?" They're people, too. Just ask and ye shall receive.

Unless you're a really green student pilot your runup shouldn't take more than a minute or 2. 15 is ridiculous. If there's a runup area I use it. That's what it's for, and it's generally put in that location because that's where they want them done. If there isn't one I do it on the taxiway near the hold short. If it's busy I'll do it on the taxiway while rolling, but I have a lot of practice with my plane and wouldn't suggest that unless you can do your checks basically blindfolded.

I have a 1.5 mile taxi from my hangar to the runway and prefer to taxi as lean as possible. I also don't mess with the mixture after the run-up. Therefore, I do my run-up as close to the runway as possible.

I have a 1.5 mile taxi from my hangar to the runway and prefer to taxi as lean as possible. I also don't mess with the mixture after the run-up. Therefore, I do my run-up as close to the runway as possible.
Are you leaning for departure in the runup or something?

I would go bananas if people always did their run-ups at the hold short line.... so would the airlines behind me. I tuck into the far corner on the taxiway or if there is someone behind me I ask ground if they'd like me on A2 or A6 (the taxiway 100ft from the taxiway at the end). But I tuck into the corner far enough that even regional jets can get by me. Be courteous of your fellow aircraft! Running up at the hold short line is not kind especially if there isn't an intersection right next to that one.

He's at high altitude. He has to.

To answer the OP, you gotta figure it out. There is often a run-up area, but not always, and sometimes in an odd place (e.g., Fresno has one at midfield). They often show up on taxi diagrams, with or without a label.

You can ask Ground. At a nontowered airport, you can ask other traffic. If no one is around, do it on a taxiway or hold short line far from parking.

A parking area is a poor place, but if you must, make sure there are no other airplanes, cars, or open hangar doors in the line of fire.

I would go bananas if people always did their run-ups at the hold short line.... so would the airlines behind me. I tuck into the far corner on the taxiway or if there is someone behind me I ask ground if they'd like me on A2 or A6 (the taxiway 100ft from the taxiway at the end). But I tuck into the corner far enough that even regional jets can get by me. Be courteous of your fellow aircraft! Running up at the hold short line is not kind especially if there isn't an intersection right next to that one.
Situational awareness is really what makes that viable versus not, though. If you're in sleepy TXK with nobody else around at that moment, pulling off to the side may be unnecessary if everybody except for a SWA guy would take longer to get to you than your runup would take.

If there's a run up area I'll do it there. Sometimes I'll do it on the roll if there's people behind me. If there's no one behind me then I'll do it at the hold short line.

If I'm going to an unfamiliar airport, I look at all the diagrams I can find to locate the runup areas. But failing that, the best is Google maps (satellite view)...when you see an actual photo of the place, many times the runup location is obvious.

As others have said, you can always ask Ground. Don't be shy!

He's at high altitude. He has to.

To answer the OP, you gotta figure it out. There is often a run-up area, but not always, and sometimes in an odd place (e.g., Fresno has one at midfield). They often show up on taxi diagrams, with or without a label.

You can ask Ground. At a nontowered airport, you can ask other traffic. If no one is around, do it on a taxiway or hold short line far from parking.

A parking area is a poor place, but if you must, make sure there are no other airplanes, cars, or open hangar doors in the line of fire.
What is considered high altitude? I'm out of U42 (4600') but I was taught to take off and climb full rich and lean for cruise flight.

In the official run up areas that you're required to taxi to at each runway end if you notify ground that you still need a run up as per the ATIS special procedures at KAPA. Heh.

Or if there's absolutely nobody and no doors open, at the end of the hangar row so I can tell ground my run up is complete and avoid the Hotspot and crowd at the C1 run up area for a Runway 10 departure.

:)

Where ever I'm not blasting or blocking other folks.

Sometimes that's on the ramp, sometimes it's in the corner near the hold short, sometimes is during taxi.

Last edited:
What is considered high altitude? I'm out of U42 (4600') but I was taught to take off and climb full rich and lean for cruise flight.

Depends on the temp, go through your POH, I'd also try a full power static run on the ground at different settings.

Do you have a engine analyzer?

This has been my dilemma too at the Class C I'm in now. No obvious run up area. However, there are some ANG armament pads to the side of the taxiways. I haven't asked ground yet if I can use them for run up. Anyone ever done that? So far wind has been calm on both my flights out and I just use the end of the row of T hangars to do mine. Fairly quiet T hangar area so no one has ever been around or hangar doors open.

Where ever I'm not blasting or blocking other folks.

Sometimes that's on the ramp, sometimes it's in the corner near the hold short, sometimes is during taxi.

^^^^This^^^^
There's no one right answer. Depends on the field, the traffic, the weather, etc.

I try to get it accomplished BEFORE the hold short line, preferably in a ramp area AWAY from other airplanes, people and FBO offices where someone might be trying to use a telephone. At our field we have our students pull up to the end of the end of the ramp just before the controlled taxiway and run up there.

On a recent tower tour the controller told my student they appreciated that because they know we're ready to go as soon as we get to the runway.

Got to tell you about the time a maintenance crew, pressed for time, decided to perform a high power run-up of an L-1011, while taxiing. They just needed to assure the engine made takeoff power and figured "one engine, high power momentarily, no biggie". So, that's what they did. And we changed 8 wheels, tires and brakes when they got back from the little excursion.

Got to tell you about the time a maintenance crew, pressed for time, decided to perform a high power run-up of an L-1011, while taxiing. They just needed to assure the engine made takeoff power and figured "one engine, high power momentarily, no biggie". So, that's what they did. And we changed 8 wheels, tires and brakes when they got back from the little excursion.

I seem to recall that event though I cannot recall for certain the crew involved.

It's certainly aircraft/engine dependent, but most aircraft allow for leaning at climb power at 3000' DA. That's where I'd start to think about leaning before takeoff.

However, I was watching a video on YouTube of a pilot leaving a Class C airport and they conducted the run-up for their Cherokee 140 on the ramp (non-movement) area.
It just kind of depends. Not all airports have generous non-movement areas where you can do a run up.

At busy Class C/B airports I prefer to do my run up before I call up ground for taxi clearance, but that isn't always possible.

At ORF, there is a very generous non-movement area around the FBO which includes a long term/overflow parking ramp. I will typically taxi over there and do my run up and get my clearance before calling ground. At other airports though, there may not be a suitable area far enough away from the pedestrian traffic on the ramp and you just have to wait until you get to the runway.

After blowing an oil cooler during runup not once, but twice, I do my runup where it will least impact everyone else if I have to shut it down and park it. That's almost always going to be on the ramp somewhere with my prop blast pointing at nothing. Doesn't matter if it's a G/E/D/C or B airport.

Imagine the cluster that ensues at a busy airport with a dead plane at the hold short line.

After blowing an oil cooler during runup not once, but twice, I do my runup where it will least impact everyone else if I have to shut it down and park it. That's almost always going to be on the ramp somewhere with my prop blast pointing at nothing. Doesn't matter if it's a G/E/D/C or B airport.

Imagine the cluster that ensues at a busy airport with a dead plane at the hold short line.
Once you are committed to the taxiway and then the runway, you best know it will be a go. (IOWs don't fly junk) do your mag checks on the roll while still on the GA ramp.

Once you are committed to the taxiway and then the runway, you best know it will be a go. (IOWs don't fly junk) do your mag checks on the roll while still on the GA ramp.

I've had very well MXed multi million dollars planes show snags during my checks before, also had a few cockroach rentals which never seemed to show faults... on the ground.

I was taught anything above 3000' you should lean for takeoff

To quote a colleague - "It depends". At the home field there are run-up areas at both ends of 17/35. No problem. However, if taking off from 26 there isn't a dedicated area. I run-up on the taxiway, but with the nose angled into the wind for better cooling. Or so my CFI taught me years ago. At other airports it depends on what is available. BTW, if you are going to the AOPA fly-in at PWT next weekend there are run-up areas at both ends of 2/20, so no problems there.

Another add for runup near runway --->
ABQ = 5310' or AEG = 5840'
Runup not AT the hold, but about an aircraft length before the hold and off to the side, angled usually 45* from the taxi centerline (so I can see oncoming traffic)
At ABQ, GA is on the opposite side of the main runway (8), so we come from E1 while the big iron comes from A1 and we face-off (no conflicts)
Ramp aircraft appreciate us not sand blasting them on the ramp and the hold allows for the engine to warm up before the runup
(And yes, we pull back the mixture about an inch right after attaining oil pressure -- and then re-adjust mixture for take-off during the runup)

Particularly in the designated runup area next to the runway, if there isn't one, I just find a safe place that my prop blast wont affect anyone nearby.

I was taught anything above 3000' you should lean for takeoff
Depends on the model. Read the POH.

That's 3000 density altitude in a Cessna 172 or 182. In summer on a stupid-hot day, you may need to do it at much lower field elevations,

Depends on the model. Read the POH.

That's 3000 density altitude in a Cessna 172 or 182. In summer on a stupid-hot day, you may need to do it at much lower field elevations,

Yes I should I have clarified DA. I took off from an airport at 2800' MSL yesterday and it was 90 degrees. Didn't check DA but based on how much I had to lean it was much higher than that.

Yes I should I have clarified DA. I took off from an airport at 2800' MSL yesterday and it was 90 degrees. Didn't check DA but based on how much I had to lean it was much higher than that.
I've had to lean for takeoff at Fresno in August. That's barely 300 MSL, but at 105 deg, you're over the minimum DA.

Yes. Immediately after start, I lean for taxi. After setting up the radios, I call for taxi and then head 1.5 miles north to the runway. I do the run-up there and lean for best power (elevation 4415'). Then call tower for takeoff. I just don't want to do the runup down by my hangar and be taxiing too rich so as to foul the plugs.

Back