FlyQ first 200 - $40 for a year

Looks like it has all the features I need, and my Foreflight subscription is running out.

OK, you're on.

At that price it's a good deal,competes with foreflight on many options.

I have been using it for the past year or so and I like it.

I just renewed my subscription for full price last week.. dang it.

Agree with all of the above. I switched from foreflight a year ago, I'm happy with the decision

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, I downloaded it. A few interface quirks, nothing serious. Interesting airport "SA diagrams" with current wind vectors, and altitude planning. Only real gripe so far is that all the comments are undated and some are many years old.

Yeah, thus far my only gripe is the inability to file STAR/DP in a succinct manner like you can on a regular flight plan form. (i.e. The app will spell out the entire route instead of JPOOL8.ACT etc etc). Also, if I remember correctly, you can enter STAR/DP into the search field on Foreflight and it will auto-plan it in the route when it generates... Haven't been able to do that in FlyQ yet, that I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you guys new to Flyq, you can use their web based flight planning version with your flyq login. I find it easier than look at routes, stops, etc on the ipad. If you save your flight plan when you log in to ipad version you can download those plans to the ipad and fly them.

http://flyq.seattleavionics.com/Atlas/manage.aspx

I was on the fence on which of the two apps to get, and this sealed the deal! I just got mine a few minutes ago!

if I remember correctly, you can enter STAR/DP into the search field on Foreflight and it will auto-plan it in the route when it generates
Your recollection is correct. If you enter DTO JPOOL8.CLL BLUBL3 KSGR it will properly decode the SID and STAR and plot the waypoints.

They added another 100 today at the same price

Your recollection is correct. If you enter DTO JPOOL8.CLL BLUBL3 KSGR it will properly decode the SID and STAR and plot the waypoints.

Yes. This is a feature that needs to be added to flyQ IMO.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the link. Now to decide as to which compatible ADS-B receiver to buy or maybe build a Stratux.

Yes. This is a feature that needs to be added to flyQ IMO.

I think FlyQ is moving toward something similar to what WingX and ForeFlight are doing with a visual insertion. In the most recent version, if you pull up a SID or Star in FlyQ, you can select a transition and add it to the flight plan. I'm guessing its and intro into being able to do the same thing for approaches.

I think FlyQ is moving toward something similar to what WingX and ForeFlight are doing with a visual insertion. In the most recent version, if you pull up a SID or Star in FlyQ, you can select a transition and add it to the flight plan. I'm guessing its and intro into being able to do the same thing for approaches.

I've been getting some more experience with it. It will do all the CAP SAR functions, plus photo functions (Foreflight does most of the former). Editing is clunky, but it does allow adjusting multiple altitudes with TOC/TOD markers. It does have rubber-banding, but it has a few quirks. With SAR, you have to define the SAR pattern first, which is not the way I prefer to do it, nor can I combine SAR functions (it's very common to combine a high altitude square around the grid, with a low altitude lawnmower pattern). It doesn't look like it has a save or favorites selection (that's really useful for multi-leg flights). You can turn on/off overlaid approach plates, but it seems buggy.

It has timers everywhere. That's one of my Foreflight pet peeves.

Honestly, the only reason for placing an approach into a tablet flight plan is to estimate time and fuel. That's important, but you can use a rule of thumb or approximation in its place. Say, the direct-to distance at 90 knots from IAF to MDA, plus 10 miles (or minimum 5 minutes) if a procedure turn is necessary. It would be quite foolish to bet your life on that tablet GPS for detailed routing, even in an emergency. If properly prepared, it would take 2-3 or more emergencies to make it the only option.

Honestly, the only reason for placing an approach into a tablet flight plan is to estimate time and fuel.
So far, anyway, I haven't found a reason to be opposed to additional situational awareness provided so easily.

On estimating time and fuel, If my fuel is tight enough that flying an instrument approach as opposed to VFR direct (or worse, which instrument approach I might fly) is going to present a fuel planning issue, I think have much bigger potential problems than whether or not an approach chart is depicted with the courses highlighted in magenta.

You can turn on/off overlaid approach plates, but it seems buggy.
Unlike FF and others, that have a direct way to turn an overlaid approach plate off, in FlyQ it's treated as just another map layer. But yeah, I've turn off the layer and seem to have had it turn itself back on again.

I'm overall not particularly impressed with it for in-flight IFR but that may just be my 5 years of comfort with another app's UI.

[BTW, my excursion into FlyQ is because I have a primary student who really likes it and I see it an my obligation as his instructor to understand it best I can, but I'm hardly that conversant with its IFR capabilties]

Last edited:
For those who wish foreflight had a timer.
You can push up from the bottom of your screen and get immediate access to a flashlight, timer/stopwatch, calculator, and camera. Click the timer button, use the feature you want, then press the foreflight button on the top left of your screen.
Since ForeFlight is Apple only, there isn't a reason for them to add a timer.

For those who wish foreflight had a timer.
You can push up from the bottom of your screen and get immediate access to a flashlight, timer/stopwatch, calculator, and camera. Click the timer button, use the feature you want, then press the foreflight button on the top left of your screen.
Since ForeFlight is Apple only, there isn't a reason for them to add a timer.

It would be nice if there was a count-down timer that had the duration populated based on the approach chart data.

Last edited:
So far, anyway, I haven't found a reason to be opposed to additional situational awareness provided so easily.

For an instrument student?

That's obvious. "Cessna 123XY proceed direct [intermediate fix]." Now there are two devices to reprogram instead of one, on an approach.

The workload is high enough without adding unnecessary stuff. You get almost all the situational awareness just from having the plate out, even if the tablet's magenta line is doing the wrong thing.

That's obvious. "Cessna 123XY proceed direct [intermediate fix]." Now there are two devices to reprogram instead of one, on an approach.

The workload is high enough without adding unnecessary stuff. You get almost all the situational awareness just from having the plate out, even if the tablet's magenta line is doing the wrong thing.
Student vs certificated doesn't make any difference to me. Having the availability of something does not require its use in every situation. Loading the approach or a change into nav equipment is mandatory; entering it into a tablet is optional, based on prioritization of workload. Knowing the difference is a very important piece of knowledge and ADM for a pilot, especially a trainee.

So far, anyway, I have never loaded an approach into my tablet and started playing around with it when, while being vectored, being instructed to proceed direct to a fix. I see no reason to think of every potential aid to situational awareness as having only two choices: mandatory or useless.

Why in the hell would anyone bother to program the I-pad for direct [immediate fix]? If you are navigating by certified GPS, just follow that. If you aren't, you can't accept direct [intermediate fix] that would require GPS instead of the nav equipment in the panel. My plane is only equipped with ILS/LOC/VOR/ADF. The I-pad with geo-referenced plates, while not required, is definitely an improvement to situational awareness. But I am not fiddling with direct [anywhere] on the I-pad while on an approach.

Why in the hell would anyone bother to program the I-pad for direct [immediate fix]? If you are navigating by certified GPS, just follow that. If you aren't, you can't accept direct [intermediate fix] that would require GPS instead of the nav equipment in the panel. My plane is only equipped with ILS/LOC/VOR/ADF. The I-pad with geo-referenced plates, while not required, is definitely an improvement to situational awareness. But I am not fiddling with direct [anywhere] on the I-pad while on an approach.

Why the hell would one program an approach into an iPad to begin with?

It is the EXACT same argument.

And more than a little pointless, IMO. Outside the training environment, you almost never fly the approach as published. Pull up the plate so you know the minima, and do what you need to with real avionics.

I don't. I just bring up the chart.
Me too.

I think we're in violent agreement....

I see no reason to raise workload with no benefit.

I generally don't use the magenta line at all on the iPad, at least not after takeoff. It's a planning tool. Virtually any SA advantage you might get is from displaying where you are on a plate rather than where you're going next, and even that is a tradeoff with workload, especially if there is another moving map in the aircraft.

Well, I gave up on FlyQ today.

It's ALMOST there, but there are a few too many bugs and limitations.

It seems to have some form of VNAV planning, but it loses it anytime you make any changes to the flight plan. I'd like to be able to declare start and end, set my altitudes, then add an intermediate point to avoid hostile terrain, and have it recalculate. I like the idea of having multiple kinds of waypoints, such as a fuel stop, but it has to be easier to edit for that to be useful. I'm not sure there is any way to make a VNAV flight plan including climb and descent points that has a flight track other than a simple straight line.

The weather briefing is virtually identical to duats.com, and is not searchable or indexed. For a VFR flight, I really don't want to scroll through all the FDC NOTAMs for neighboring airports along my route.

Foreflight has a VERY nice feature that notifies of an FDC NOTAM when a specific approach or arrival plate is displayed. That's really useful as a backup.

There is no way to look up a specific airport operator's unicom frequency or phone number. Many airports have more than one unicom frequency, and I can't call for fuel without looking up the number over the Web (say, on airnav). That's a glaring hole.

Flight plan workflow is odd, especially using the SAR features. As an observer, the first thing I want to do is get to the search area. Then I want to "box the grid" to see what terrain and obstructions I have to deal with. And that's always at a higher altitude than search altitude... And all this requires user waypoints, which are clunky at best. Now, Foreflight's user waypoints aren't all that good either, but it's easier to make them.

Well, I gave up on FlyQ today.

It's ALMOST there, but there are a few too many bugs and limitations.

It seems to have some form of VNAV planning, but it loses it anytime you make any changes to the flight plan. I'd like to be able to declare start and end, set my altitudes, then add an intermediate point to avoid hostile terrain, and have it recalculate. I like the idea of having multiple kinds of waypoints, such as a fuel stop, but it has to be easier to edit for that to be useful. I'm not sure there is any way to make a VNAV flight plan including climb and descent points that has a flight track other than a simple straight line.

The weather briefing is virtually identical to duats.com, and is not searchable or indexed. For a VFR flight, I really don't want to scroll through all the FDC NOTAMs for neighboring airports along my route.

Foreflight has a VERY nice feature that notifies of an FDC NOTAM when a specific approach or arrival plate is displayed. That's really useful as a backup.

There is no way to look up a specific airport operator's unicom frequency or phone number. Many airports have more than one unicom frequency, and I can't call for fuel without looking up the number over the Web (say, on airnav). That's a glaring hole.

Flight plan workflow is odd, especially using the SAR features. As an observer, the first thing I want to do is get to the search area. Then I want to "box the grid" to see what terrain and obstructions I have to deal with. And that's always at a higher altitude than search altitude... And all this requires user waypoints, which are clunky at best. Now, Foreflight's user waypoints aren't all that good either, but it's easier to make them.

Which app are you going back to?

When we start comparing EFB apps, we usually end of comparing the familiar with the unfamiliar and the unfamiliar typically loses.

My own feelings about FlyQ are pretty similar to yours, @MAKG1, especially when it comes to IFR use. Kind of like you, the thing I like least is the thing that is purely Seattle - the way flight planning is done.

But, with rare exceptions for individual features, that's true for just about every iOS and Android EFB I've tried. I recognize that it's mostly because for quite a while now, there has only been one item left from the half dozen originally on my ForeFlight wish list.

Which app are you going back to?
I considered Garmin Pilot, but I really need the SAR features. So, it's back to a combination of FltPlan Go and Foreflight.

I really dislike Foreflight's new map type, as the very first thing I noticed about it was that it didn't plot the SFO Class B shelf boundaries correctly, and right in places I fly frequently. Bloody waste of $25.

I considered Garmin Pilot, but I really need the SAR features. So, it's back to a combination of FltPlan Go and Foreflight.

I really dislike Foreflight's new map type, as the very first thing I noticed about it was that it didn't plot the SFO Class B shelf boundaries correctly, and right in places I fly frequently. Bloody waste of $25.

The new map type is different and I think it was released a little bit early. I like how I can zoom in and see all the taxiways. I don't like how the class b airspace doesn't perfectly match up with the sectional map. I haven't played with it a whole bunch but I'd imagine you can pick and choose your features.

Was it worth $25? No

Back