Nose gear actuator PA32

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Well had an unpleasant surprise today. Did some IFR training today, and the flight part went great, but I had a bad landing day. I put the plane down fairly hard twice, but both times it was on the mains once with a small bounce. CFI said not do my best job on landings, but nothing that should do any damage. Got back to the hanger and noticed that hydraulic fluid was leaking from around the actuator where the piston enters the cylinder. Nose gear otherwise looks normal, strut is normal. No apparent cracks or stress points on the cylinder, the piston looks OK.

1. Is this at all related to the hard landing?
2. Is the plane safe to fly to a shop, provided I leave the gear down?
3. Mechanic says it is a common issues due to worn O-rings, and is likely an easy fix or 3 to 4 hours. Does this sound reasonable?
4. Worse case was told that actuator could need replacing if the piston is damaged, which can happen over time from pebbles etc. Does this sound right?

I'm no expert, but looking at my gear I don't see how a down and locked gear could harm this part at all.

I'd bet your MX is right.....tear it down, replace the old orients and you are back in service.

How old are those hoses? I'd checking into that too and replacing them if much more 15 years old.

The oleo absorbs the landing load, not the gear retraction mechanism. The retraction cylinder needs to be rebuilt. It is just a hydraulic cylinder, so nothing exotic to rebuild and put in new seals. The rest of the system may also need some attention, including the previously noted hoses in another post. As long as the cylinder mechanism isn't bent for some reason, and there is enough hydraulic fluid in the system it should not be a problem to retract the gear and fly it to a maintenance facility location. Weeping gear and gear door retraction cylinders are not that uncommon.

Looks like a Gar-Kenyon actuator. Check the bearing attachment area for looseness on the aft end of that actuator. I've had many broken apart.

Apparently we were able to find a mechanic that can get to the hanger to look at it. I have not heard back yet. He claims that if it is just seals he may be able to fix it on site. He did say that a hard landing would not damage this part, it is just worn out and needs some love. Apparently there were two actuators that Piper sourced. Once can easily be rebuilt, the other often needs replacement and can't be easily repaired.

The actuator does not feel lose at all, and I wonder looking at the shot I took if it has not been rebuilt in the past since the paint is just chipped around that front connection were the locking wire is clearly visible. I know the system had a failure about 1 year ago, when the shuttle valve went bad. I am not 100% (not the primary owner, just allowed to fly it), but the hydraulic motor may have been replaced recently too. Plane just underwent an extensive annual (IFR recertification) about 2 months ago. At that point a lot of work was done to the static system, altimeter etc. The plane was also fully reconditioned (stripped, painted, new avionics, new interior, full corrosion check, etc.) about 3 years ago. Not to say that has avoided some gremlins and old parts going bad since.

Back