Montauk (KMTP)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Thinking of a Day trip out to Montauk. Looks like there is a few places to eat with in a 2 to 15 minute walk from the airport to and a decent state park beach that you can walk to as well. Anyone have any specific pireps about flying there and things to do on a day trip? Is there fuel on the field?

great place for day trip however, go into East Hampton Khto and rent a day car .you can grab a great"" lunch"" on the strip just east of amagansett . landing to the west over the dunes at montauk is to be taken with caution .i was based at hto for 40 years and i saw all the badness at montauk over the years. also no services and poor cab service . what you flying? alot of aircraft dont belong going into mtk. gossmans dock or whatever its called now is always good. Perry dureyays son still runs the old mans lobster place if you are in the mood . going to the hamptons this time of the year is a fools game at best. . it got so bad living there i left after being born and spending 50 years there i got the heck out . post after your return. btw you must be one hell of a walker or they moved the airport!!

Flying a J35 Bonanza. Curious, what "Badness" are you referring to. I have known folks to fly in there in 172s and Cherokees. What is the issue with landing 24? Is there a rental agency at KHTO for cars?

a 172 is a lot different than a j35 with many more options . mtk averages over 6 landing mishaps per summer none fatal but a broken back is no fun . if you are not very lite enjoy some other place ,and you will need to stop at gon or hto for fuel anyway.eastern long island sucks in the summer and most of the year now . many overprivilideged *******s in mass .

The last time I was at KHTO (in February) they charged me a landing fee, NOT waivable with fuel purchase. Told them I wouldn't be back, and I haven't. They sell A LOT more Jet-A than they do 100LL.

They haven't figured out that the $ummer folk don't come out there in the winter....

MTP has no services so it doesn't suffer from delusions of grandeur. Nice little GA airport. As you settle down on Runway 24, you go below the level of the dunes to your right, and turbulence happens!

-Skip

It's a nice little airport. No fuel and there's a $40 fee. The dunes make the approach a little tricky but nothing you can't handle.

i would find a nice place on a lake in pa if i still lived in east hampton;)

Stiff landing fee,but they will drive you to the beach in their van. The restaurant across from the field is pricey and the food is fair.

Wow from all the reviews it sounds as though they really are trying to kill the place. :(

Wow from all the reviews it sounds as though they really are trying to kill the place. :(

What exactly are you looking for?. Nice day trip, walk on beach, lunch then home?. For that, would seem to me Katama on Martha's Vineyard would be a better choice. If your going overnight or more, well then, you won't be surprised when I recommend Ocracoke (then you can take Amy and me). In the Bo, either is a good flight.

Gary

Last edited:
I love it, get lobster rolls from across the street!

G0146859.jpg

G0075871.jpg

It's a nice little airport. No fuel and there's a $40 fee. The dunes make the approach a little tricky but nothing you can't handle.

Have they raised the landing fee? I paid $20 for a 172 last summer.

Katama is pretty great. Right on a nice beach and there's a cheap bus to town. 10$ fee and self-serve fuel. Smooth long grass runways. No approaches.

Mvy has no day fee but less convenient to beach and less-frequent buses. 15$ overnight fee waived with purchase of moderately priced fuel. Has an ILS amongst other approaches.

What exactly are you looking for?. Nice day trip, walk on beach, lunch then home?. For that, would seem to me Katama on Martha's Vineyard would be a better choice. If your going overnight or more, well then, you won't be surprised when I recommend Ocracoke (then you can take Amy and me). In the Bo, either is a good flight.

Gary

Yea I love the Vineyard but why do you think it would be better? Montauk is closer to the Beach and has restaurants in walking distance.

Yea it's $40 now.

Holy Shmikies! $40.00 thats nuts perhaps BID, MVY and Katama are indeed better options.

Yea I love the Vineyard but why do you think it would be better? Montauk is closer to the Beach and has restaurants in walking distance.

Holy Shmikies! $40.00 thats nuts perhaps BID, MVY and Katama are indeed better options.

Katama is on the Vineyard and to be any closer to the beach you'd need floats. :)

As Scottfromboston mentioned, you can't get any closer to the beach that Katama!! Just seems a nicer place, decent FBO, fuel, not sure if the restaurant is still open. Cheap bus service to town.

macie, thanks for the photo of final app. i forgot reading that there was much work to the runway and the dune and the length of the runway,also looks like some trees were cut down . the tree hugers were fighting Perry Duryea forever not to improve it.guess his son Chip got it done . Montauk still sucks

Last edited:
macie, thanks for the photo of final app. i forgot reading that there was much work to the runway and the dune and the length of the runway,also looks like some trees were cut down . the tree hugers were fighting Perry Duryea forever not to improve it.guess his son Chip got it done . Montauk still sucks

The approach is very scenic and not in the least bit difficult, thoroughly enjoy flying out there. It's one of the few things I miss now that I sold my Diamond and I'm on the hunt for an Extra.

If anybody chooses to heed the warnings from posters that haven't landed at Montauk or maybe even lived on Long Island for who knows how many years.. Go right ahead..

This past Saturday parking was almost full with Bonanzas, Cirrus, Piper, Caravans on floats, Light sport and experimental aircraft.. Parking cost me $20. I was offered a round trip ride to the beach by the extremely friendly and helpful airport staff. I walked across the street ( 100 yards?) to Ricks and enjoyed a great lunch under the tent with a great view of the planes landing on rwy6, $24+tip for 2 people..

For those who can land their plane on a 3481' x 75' runway at sea level.. Enjoy!

I have flown into MTP numerous times in a Grumman tiger and it is a fabulous airport, airstrip and area for a day trip. It is my favorite day trip getaway. Lady who runs the airport will drive you to the end of the runway so you can just walk across the dunes from the landing strip to a beautiful beach. Call her and she will pick you up and drive you to the other end. From there, it is a half mile walk up the road to Inlet Seafood, the freshest sushi in the world with a killer view. It is the reason we fly. A national treasure. HTO has the jets and Manhattan traffic. MTP is fishing village meets blue collar meets rich- a nice, interesting diversity of people. I come in from Philly so don't need fuel, but anywhere is gonna be cheaper than hto. We don't fly to then sit in an hour of traffic getting out to montauk.

a 172 is a lot different than a j35 with many more options . mtk averages over 6 landing mishaps per summer none fatal but a broken back is no fun . if you are not very lite enjoy some other place ,and you will need to stop at gon or hto for fuel anyway.eastern long island sucks in the summer and most of the year now . many overprivilideged *******s in mass .

I have flown into MTP numerous times in a Grumman tiger and it is a fabulous airport, airstrip and area for a day trip. It is my favorite day trip getaway. Lady who runs the airport will drive you to the end of the runway so you can just walk across the dunes from the landing strip to a beautiful beach. Call her and she will pick you up and drive you to the other end. From there, it is a half mile walk up the road to Inlet Seafood, the freshest sushi in the world with a killer view. It is the reason we fly. A national treasure. HTO has the jets and Manhattan traffic. MTP is fishing village meets blue collar meets rich- a nice, interesting diversity of people. I come in from Philly so don't need fuel, but anywhere is gonna be cheaper than hto. We don't fly to then sit in an hour of traffic getting out to montauk.

I second Inlet Seafood. About a 10 minute walk from the airport, great food and even better view.

Been to Montauk two times in a 172. I landed on runway 6 both times and that is an amazing approach! Right over the harbor with literally sail boat masts right under you! It's awesome! I would certainly reccomend going there on a calm day with no cross winds. The runway is much shorter than its stated length because of a large displaced threshold.

With all that being said, I'm not paying 40 bucks to land there! That's absurd! I'll go the extra 15 or so minutes to land in Block Island every time!

I was there today. Four place piston single (Tiger). $20 fee for the day.

Thanks to Jon ( Iflyatiger) for a great conversation last week about Montauk. Good info and he did confirm that he paid $20 not $40. While its more than many, the airport is as close to the beach, has showers as any I've seen including Katama and is close to good restaurants. Its a private field with not much in the way of based aircraft and no fuel sales to support it so it needs to make money somehow.

Adam
I flew there today with Sarah.

Had a nice lobster roll at Ricks and then took a ride to the dunes for a bit of a walk along the beach and was picked up for the return trip. (You can grab the line guy who drives in his jeep on Unicom if you want to stay at the beech). His ride was $5 each way. LDG fee was $20. Friendly staff

Ricks was a little pricey but just a five minute wal and the food was decent. Beach had a few people but it was still pretty private at the dune walk down area from the airport.

I headed direct and had a few options from NY APP. 5500 overhead JFK, with possible COL routing before turning to JFK then own nav
VS 1500 ft and side stepping the 8nm at jfk.

Five hand offs. NY App, NY App (same guy) Kennedy TWR, ISP app.

On the return, we had 6500 overhead jfk, then Colts Neck VOR, then resume.

Next time I would head north on way back staying lower and run the southbound hudson, just ran out of time.

Back