Tailwheel training in the Boulder/Denver area

ELee3

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Emsley
i will be in Boulder for two weeks on a work trip and thought that would be a great time to get some tailwheel instruction. Can anyone recommend a good place for such training? I'd also like to know of any airports that might be a good place to hang around and meet some pilots with good stories.

I haven't looked into it lately, but the only rental tailwheel I'm aware of is the Decathlon at Aspen Flying Club. There may be something up at BJC also, but they're pretty rare. Problem is, the traditional Cubs and what not don't fly too well up here in summer, so you see stuff with more horsepower on board, typically. Long ago there was a Husky for rent at BJC but I think it's long gone.

Vector Air at Erie KEIK has a Citabria, I think, for less than $120 hourly. I've never flown with them but they have a very good reputation. Erie is 20-30 minutes east of Boulder, traffic depending.

Specialty Flight in Boulder KBDU may have a tail wheel, but not sure.

I'm in Boulder if you wanna grab a coffee or beer, too. If you're going to be in town Wednesday, August 10, pm me for a pilot event.

FIFI the B-29 is at KBJC Broomfield weekend of the 27th.

Western Air at BJC has a couple tailwheels listed on their website.

Vector Air at Erie KEIK has a Citabria, I think, for less than $120 hourly. I've never flown with them but they have a very good reputation. Erie is 20-30 minutes east of Boulder, traffic depending.
The owner of this Citabria took it off line at Erie, to be sold.

I trained with Maleham Black in Boulder but he no longer flies from age-related medical issues.

My recommendation is with Lou Jendras at Western Air Flight Academy in Broomfield (BJC). Great guy with a fantastic sense of humor.

http://www.westernairflightacademy.com/

EDIT: For good stories Platte Valley airpark (18V) is the best. On weekends all the hangars are open and full of home-builders. Also Greeley's restaurant has its fair share of regulars with good stories (GXY)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I have been busy and am just now getting around to checking up on this thread. Due to lack of hotel vacancies in Boulder, I will be staying in Broomfield, so I should be pretty near BJC.

G-Man, I will not make it by the 10th or I would love to check out the pilot event. But I probably will get in touch with you to have a beer and get some local knowledge.

Gimme a shout and we'll make it happen!

I haven't looked into it lately, but the only rental tailwheel I'm aware of is the Decathlon at Aspen Flying Club. There may be something up at BJC also, but they're pretty rare. Problem is, the traditional Cubs and what not don't fly too well up here in summer, so you see stuff with more horsepower on board, typically. Long ago there was a Husky for rent at BJC but I think it's long gone.

Citabria also available @ Aspen Flying Club at KAPA for $125/hr wet for members. I flew it yesterday. Not sure of non-member rate.

Citabria also available @ Aspen Flying Club at KAPA for $125/hr wet for members. I flew it yesterday. Not sure of non-member rate.

That's probably what I was thinking of. I didn't bother to check the website.

That's probably what I was thinking of. I didn't bother to check the website.

There's a Super Decathlon at Aspen Flying Club, also. And there used to be a 172 taildragger there until this past Spring. No one flew it so the owner pulled it from leaseback (I believe.)

Back