Where have you had the best $100 Hamburger?

XCFLYER

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
XCFLYER
Actually, its more like a $300 Hamburger flying a Cirrus SR-22.

I'd have to say the best was at Sky Manor Airport(N40) in NJ.

A close second was the Sunday Brunch at Flying W Airport(N14) in NJ.

Fish and chips are pretty good at the airport café at PWT (home of the AOPA fly-in in a couple weeks). A bit far from NJ, but...

Breakfast at Sulphur Creek, Idaho is great. Plus the only way to get there is fly in or walk in so most of the customers are pilots. Don

In California...

Best ACTUAL hamburger so far has been at Eureka Tasting Kitchen at Hawthorne, CA (KHHR)

Best $100 Hamburger "run" location is Half Moon Bay (KHAF) where you can park and walk to a ton of amazing restaurants at the Marina.

Santa Rosa (KSTS) also has become one of my favorite fly in restaurants to take people to.

Sky Acres (44N) awhile back. Moved away in '12. KDXE, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flight Deck @ RPJ - Rochelle,IL. Great burger and other food plus you get to watch the skydivers.

Best burger I ever had at an airport was a café at PDK in the Atlanta area. It was/is upstairs and was big and very good. This was way back in the late 80s maybe.

Medford, OR. Of course that probably had more to do with the size 4, 32DD waitress wearing a tight white t-shirt than the food. Hell, I don't even remember the food.

Lincoln Park (N07) is fun, little cafe and bar right on the 2500' GA friendly airport, good atmosphere and no prison style fences.

Sunset-Pub-Award.jpg

The pizza is excellent at Sorrento's, a short walk from 3DA (Flushing, MI).

Great calzones at Sal's Ristorante, another "short walk" from KBVI (Beaver County, PA).

Very good Mexican at 05C (Griffith-Merrillville, IN -- I forget the name of the restaurant, but it's on field).

Well beings we moved on from burgers, as it goes on POA :p, if you like catfish try KMVC (Monroeville AL). Short distance from the FBO close to the end of the runway. You'll probably see Navy trainers there as they the airport as an outlying field. Announce on frequency and they'll get out of your way so you can land. FBO used to have free breakfast too.

In California...

Best ACTUAL hamburger so far has been at Eureka Tasting Kitchen at Hawthorne, CA (KHHR)

Best $100 Hamburger "run" location is Half Moon Bay (KHAF) where you can park and walk to a ton of amazing restaurants at the Marina.

Santa Rosa (KSTS) also has become one of my favorite fly in restaurants to take people to.

Agreed KHAF has some of the best destination restaurants, but you aren't going there for the hamburger. Back when Jonesey's was still open at KAPC, that was the best $100 hamburger.

Best actual hamburger is at Jamie's Bar and Grill, 5 minute drive from KSAC. But, if they have the brisket, or the Sand Dabs, screw the burger.

Top Gun burger at GMU.

I need to get to Half Moon Bay.... y'all keep talking about it.

And I didn't realize Hawthorne had a great restaurant on the field. Hell, I can drive there. It is like 6 minutes away from home. But what's the fun in that?

And I didn't realize Hawthorne had a great restaurant on the field. Hell, I can drive there. It is like 6 minutes away from home. But what's the fun in that?

You could always run or walk there flapping your arms and making engine noises. :confused::)

I had a $400 burger at Steerman Field a couple weeks back. That bar / restaurant on the field is awesome. Food was great. Beers looked great.

Barnstormers Restaurant at KWDG Enid, OK is good home cookin'. Really good pie!

Enrique's Mexican Restaurant at KPNC Ponca City, OK is good. It's not the most fantastic Mexican food I've had, but there is a ridiculous amount of good Mexican joints in these parts, so YMMV.

I'm a BIG fan of the burgers at Greeley CO GXY. Maybe @denverpilot can attest?

Hmm. I'll admit I usually eat breakfast stuff up there so I'll have to try one. Their breakfast stuff is good, however.

It's hard to beat the food at Perfect Landing at KAPA but it bums me out that it's "home base".

The place packs in people from the surrounding neighborhood and totally breaks the mold of "airport restaurant". Prime rib? Mussels? Crab cakes? Way better than most "airport" stuff.

I need to get to Half Moon Bay.... y'all keep talking about it.

Yup. Watch the marine layer, though. You can't get a useful TAF.

LAX has a good just-off-field restaurant, too. Proud Bird, on Aviation.

image.jpeg The 'Cozy Inn', Nestoria, MI. It's not close to an airport though, along the snowmobile trail.

I have had grits when living in MS and GA, usually doused with jam & other sweeteners.

A bit tough to get to the Cozy Inn from 6Y9 though. We do have bikes in the shed, but that's a looooooooooong ride on those bikes :)

Flying down to the Beacon Cafe for that breakfast buffet was hands down the best. The company was also pretty great, if a little leaded.

Next time, I bring stickers of the avatar!

Plenty. I've done MYF to CRQ to go to the restaurant there. But I did a practice ILS both ways to make it a little more legit. I don't think I ever did MYF to SEE yet.

Ok, so I don't typically eat the burgers, but I do eat at every airport I fly to, if possible. While Katama was the most fun to visit and the coolest to land at, Nashua (KASH) is so far my favorite for food. The cool part is that the lady who runs the joint is married to the ATCer in the tower. They both have these no-nonsense personalities and aren't exactly warm-and-fuzzy, but you can't help but love them anyway.

Barnstormers Restaurant at KWDG Enid, OK is good home cookin'. Really good pie!

Enrique's Mexican Restaurant at KPNC Ponca City, OK is good. It's not the most fantastic Mexican food I've had, but there is a ridiculous amount of good Mexican joints in these parts, so YMMV.

I haven't made it the the joint at WDG, but I do agree with your assessment of Enrique's at PNC. However, in their defense, it is more true to actual "Mexican" food and not the "Tex Mex" that we're so used to in these parts, yet call Mexican food. That being said, I'm a much bigger fan of their puffy chips and queso than I am of any of their actual food.

Actually, its more like a $300 Hamburger flying a Cirrus SR-22.

I'd have to say the best was at Sky Manor Airport(N40) in NJ.

A close second was the Sunday Brunch at Flying W Airport(N14) in NJ.
Have you ever been to Blairstown? I used to go there regularly in the 80's before moving to NC... That was a pretty good joint...

Back