Tecnam P92 SOP's

dmspilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DISPLAY NAME
Any information appreciated.

Last edited:
There's a guy in central florida who instructs in a P92 Echo. Lockwood Aviation. Maybe he could help?

I might be instructing in a Tecnam P92, and I am trying to figure out some standard power settings, speeds, flap settings, and so on.

The VFE is unusually low at 68 knots and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be no allowance for using a higher speed for partial flaps. This makes a standard traffic pattern a bit different compared to most trainers.

Google reveals one flight school dealing with this by flying the entire downwind quite slow...60-65. Another school uses a more typical 90, with a large speed reduction and a notch of flaps on extended downwind. Both techniques seem awkward. (However, I maybe I just was using too high a power setting on extended downwind.)

My thought is perhaps to fly downwind at a moderate speed (85 maybe) but to not use any flaps at all until base leg. Anyone have some numbers that work well? I've only flown it once.

I learned to fly in a Tecnam Eaglet (P92), so I might be able to shed some light, but it's been a while since I've flown it so definitely check with someone else.

You're right, Vfe is in fact 68 knots and is low. As I recall, you're also right that there's no provision for lowering partial flaps any faster. I was taught two different methods. One was flying downwind right about 70 so that you can put the flaps (almost) right in when you start descent abeam the numbers. The other, which is what I ended up settling on, IIRC, was flying downwind at 80-85 and pulling the power to idle at the numbers, holding altitude until it slows down, then adding in a "notch" (15*, but it only has a momentary switch) and starting down. I will say that either way you do it, it's a slippery little plane and to this day, when I fly 172s, I often pull the power to idle abeam the numbers and find myself low.

Couple other things. If you're coming from instructing in bigger planes (like the 152 or the monster 172), it is a *lot* lighter and behaves as such. The first time I landed a 172 I was like "is THAT all you have to do to land a plane??" The stick is super sensitive and you have to make sure to get your crosswind corrections in on rollout, since the additional weight you have to help plant the mains on the runway in a bigger plane just isn't there. If you're not careful you can definitely find yourself skipping sideways across the runway in a way that you won't like. You can probably guess how I know...

Any other questions just ask!

Contact tech nam at Sebring Florida ,home of Lockwood aviation.

I also learned to fly in a Tecnam Eaglet, and still rent planes from the flight school where I trained. I am new so I can't post a link, but if you Google "Chesapeake Sport Pilot" to find their website, click on the "Aircraft" tab and choose "Tecnam P92 Eaglet" you will get a page that includes links to all the relevant Eaglet documentation including POH, SOPs, checklists, etc.

The Eaglet is a fun plane and very easy to fly. It's a great beginning plane and a real favorite with the students at CSP. I now own a Luscombe and am in the middle of getting checked out in a Van's RV-12, and those experiences have made me truly appreciate what a benign and elegant aircraft the Eaglet really is.

The airport where I did almost all my primary training has an atypical pattern due to noise abatement concerns, so what I'm going to describe may need to be tweaked for other situations. On entering the 45 I'd pull it back to about 4000 -- with normal loading you will hold altitude at this RPM at about 80-85 kt. Abeam the numbers pull back to something shy of 3000 -- where I learned to fly base was really long to prevent flying over big expensive houses on downwind, so you'll have to play with this number to find your sweet spot. Vfe is 68 kt, so I'd slow down and trim to about 65. I don't usually put in the first notch of flaps until after turning base, and the rest after turning final and only if I need them. If it's windy or turbulent I fly the entire approach about 65, but you can do it at 60 if it's calm. With full flaps and 60kt, the thing flies like it's on a frozen rope.

Back