Controllers see ads-b traffic?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I'm curious how many ATC facilities actually can see ads-b traffic? I remember someone saying its a "layer" they can turn off and on... I broadcast my tail number even when 1200 and just curious if you guys see that or keep it off for the most part for now? Any chance to see a picture of your screen you see now? I really need to visit an ATC facility!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal Tracon just disconnected the ADS-B feed from their fused radar system...but they can pull up your ADS-B info if they want but it is not on any of their primary screens. They do no know who ADS-B and not at a glance nor is any of your positioning being reported or calculated by them via ADS-B. Pretty much they can see your tail number and that is about it.

Chicago approach also has the ability to see ADS-B traffic, but it's currently turned off. I can select it on our radar scopes, but I have to turn off everything else to see it. I believe they plan to turn it on so we see ADS-B info along with primary/secondary radar info in the next couple of years.

Last time I talked to a supervisor at Denver Approach he said they didn't even have ADS-B data available yet. Of course that was a couple-ur-three years ago so I hope the situation has changed.

sheesh... all this fuss over us getting it and ATC isn't patched in yet...

At least it's a useful tool for us piston guys.

I've talked to controller friends who still don't have a clue what it does over the current system. They know it's some sort of addition to the existing primary and SSR systems but they're not sure how it will improve service.

That's the difference between the politics of the FAA and the people who are actually out there "in the trenches" doing the work. The controllers know NEXGEN is a lot of fluff. It'll improve service for some aircraft but the basics of sequencing and separating aircraft will still remain.

At least in SoCal...it WAS patched in. They yanked its position reporting feed just a few weeks ago do to its unreliability and erroneous information.

I know Little Rock Tracon has it. I've asked them to verify our ADS-B link several times. Also they've shown me how they turn it on during a tour.

Normal OPS it's turned off until 2020.

Back