Rotor & Wing

round here, they called it Udders.

Moo.

RotorAndWing - isn't he the one always quoting chief consel letters whose father bought him a Cirrus, and he really likes Asian restaurant workers while eating hamburgers without a bun on break from his aviation themed hotel in Texas that he started after he left his job in Denver at the airport?

Or am I confusing him with someone else?

I always liked his avatars.
And @nauga. That guy has cool avatars as well.

I don't know much about much so I always assumed R&W was pretty smart with his flying information.
I'll be honest though, He scared me a little. I would never want to get into it with him. I bet he could kick the crap out of me in nothing flat.
But I base that mostly on his avatar.
That was just his avatar. If you saw him in real life.....lets just say his mustache could kick your ass.

Seemed to me that more often than not, he wasn't shy to tell you were "wrong", but would never really say what was "right".

pssst. Rotor and Wing worked for Vizzini. Pass it on.

Every one on PoA: All right. Who's interpretation of the rules is correct? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both look it up in the FAR/AIM, and find out who is right... and who will called a troll for the rest of their days.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would argue with his own CFI or his enemy's? Now, a clever man believe his own CFI, because he would know that only a great fool would argue with him. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the argument you are trying to make. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not believe your interpretation of the FARs.

PoA: You've made your decision then?

Vizzini: Not remotely. Because the FARs comes from Washington DC, as everyone knows, and Washington DC is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose your interpretation.

PoA: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

PoA: Washington.

Vizzini: Yes, Washington. And you must have suspected I would have known the FAR's origin, so I can clearly can not choose the interpretation I am making.

PoA: You're just stalling now.

Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten Cap'n Ron, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've a wholly different interpretation from the Chief Counsel, trusting him to save you, so I can clearly not choose the FAR argument from you. But, you've also bested my Ronacachamp, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the argument as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly can not choose the interpretation I am making.

PoA: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHAT RHE CORRECT INTERPRETATION IS!!

PoA: Then make your choice.

Vizzini: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?

[Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. All of PoA looks. Vizzini swaps the FAR books and Chief counsel letters]

PoA: What? Where? I don't see anything.

Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's thumb through our books. Me from my mine, and you from yours.

[Vizzini and the Man in Black riffle through the FAR/AIMs, looking for Martinez notes and post-it tabs]

PoA: You're wrong.

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched topics when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against Rotor & Wing when determining who is right is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Vizzini: [Vizzini stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face as his account is frozen. Far away, we hear an evil giggle from Mari as she applies the ban hammer]

I LIKED R&W and miss his contributions. And I never grew weary of watching him hand Levy's ass to him when Levy was talking out of it (which seemed quite often).

Of course, I always enjoyed watching EdFred stomp on Levy too. Ed's always so subtle and gentle with people.

R&W and Henning were both lightning rods. I actually enjoyed them both. I also think removing anyone from a community diminishes it to a degree. Ironically, they are the two that can create controversy even after they are gone. I miss them both, but I miss Ron too, all for different reasons.

Too many personal agendas here. Ron could have cured cancer and brought about World peace, and are those that would still take shots at him just because they don't like him.

Too many personal agendas here. Ron could have cured cancer and brought about World peace, and are those that would still take shots at him just because they don't like him.

I think that is true. I had dinner once in which Ron was present and he seemed like a really nice guy.
That said, I think his hole was dug way before I ever go to POA. I am not sure what all went on back then but when I got here, there were lots of arrows flying in his direction.

I LIKED R&W and miss his contributions. And I never grew weary of watching him hand Levy's ass to him when Levy was talking out of it (which seemed quite often).

Of course, I always enjoyed watching EdFred stomp on Levy too. Ed's always so subtle and gentle with people.
A classic example:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...controlled-airspace.60082/page-5#post-1185280

That having been said, while nobody's perfect, Ron has a great depth of knowledge and is generous about sharing it.

We happened to be in OKC together a bunch of years ago. He actually is a pretty humble guy IRL. Looks nothing like House (if y'all remember his old avatar).

Actual picture:
hqdefault.jpg

Out of the people discussed in this thread, I think Henning is the one who would cure cancer and bring world peace (well, he would say he has done it multiple times, or that actually cancer doesn't exist, it's just an anomaly on the energy field that is life...), and Ron would find a Chief Counsel letter explaining what "cure of cancer" or "world peace" means.
And R&W would say "BS" to both of them...

Out of the people discussed in this thread, I think Henning is the one who would cure cancer and bring world peace (well, he would say he has done it multiple times, or that actually cancer doesn't exist, it's just an anomaly on the energy field that is life...), and Ron would find a Chief Counsel letter explaining what "cure of cancer" or "world peace" means.
That's actually a pretty accurate assessment.

From somewhat my limited exposure to the three, my thoughts on them are:

R&W: highly knowledgeable but often somewhat curt.

Henning: entertaining but highly delusional.

Ron: a self-indulgent, self-proclaimed expert.

Ron has a great depth of knowledge and is generous about sharing it.

Very true.

Unfortunately, he also had a great depth of s*** that he made up. He was generous about spewing that also. (Just like Henning...it was hard to separate the wheat from the chafe.) Like those thousands of secret conversations with, and letters from, the FAA that he, and only he, was privy to.

It didn't take long for him to lose credibility with me...especially when he said it was impossible for both my 182 and a Baron to fly a "power off" approach from abeam the numbers. I do it every time I land my 182 and I used to fly with a guy in a P baron who did it frequently in his plane.

And there were too many times when someone called his hand and he had nothing to respond with except "if you don't believe me then ask XYZ yourself."

Rumor has it that he's very bitter with the FAA, has been applying for various positions for years and never gets hired. So I guess he just has to settle for playing "little Mr. FAA" on the internet instead.

Ron and Henning had the same issue in my mind's eye. They were both knowledgeable in SOME areas but they blew smoke in so many other areas tying to be some sort of internet knowledge god. They failed. And many here enjoyed shooting them down when they were wrong, especially since neither would ever admit to it and kept digging themselves deeper. That was fun to watch.

I miss them, but unlike R&W for the entertainment factor, not the knowledge.

Last edited:
Did he make a "statement" on his way out or was it an Irish Good-bye?

Had many excellent talks with him on the live chat function of the old board. He is a good guy, and is missed.

I met Ron by accident a long while back. One of the rudest and most unpleasant people I have ever crossed paths with.

No, the cure for cancer is simply to move off planet where cancer cells can't survive. ;)

No, the cure for cancer is simply to move off planet where cancer cells can't survive. ;)
That is curing life which isn't required since it a sexually transmitted disease which is always fatal.

R&W was a favorite of mine, as was Ron and a handful of others who have since left. Never met any of them. But because of his avatar I'll always have a mental picture of R&W as House.

I have mental pictures of the rest of you too, but I'll keep those to myself. Especially Mari's.

Back