150 crashes avoiding deer on landing

ifly4fun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Instinctively I would probably try to avoid to hit the deer...

The poor plane. I hope the deer survived at least. And I am glad that the pilot walked away with minor injuries!!

Deer and birds man...

I've come close to hitting some deer before, many states will give you a year round nuisance permit so you can take deer out anytime you see one on your airport, if you hunt I highly recommend it, keep your freezer stocked, and you might even save a life.

If either outcome resulted in no human injuries, I'd hit the deer. The NTSB would less likely blame me for an R-LOC.

One evening a few weeks ago, a falcon was flying close formation with us during final, right under the wing for a few seconds... That was a first.

That is a painful video to watch, even after he gave the field a flyby.

Maybe the co-pilot needs one of these to have at the ready out the window??image.jpeg

"He tells News 3 he had been flying four about an hour and half around the airport. "

Really media? No proofreading?

[QUOTE="Mtns2Skies, post: 2109865, member: 4935

Really media? No proofreading?[/QUOTE]

Our local paper does this all the time.

Fits into my thought experiment...

Me: "How fast would you want to touch down if you knew you were going to hit a deer right after touchdown?"

Student: "As slowly as possible!"

Me: "Correct. Now, how do you know you're not going to hit a deer on any given landing?"

Kudos to the pilot for a nice, slow landing with the stall warning sounding. Extra speed could have had nasty consequences - to more than just the deer!

I'm in Maryland, and Bambi is everywhere, just zillions of 'em. . .I pre-thought a rule, just so I'd be pre-loaded; if all three wheels are on the runway, TO or landing, yank off the power, track straight ahead, and Bambi dies. Then call the insurance company and tell them where their plane is.

My previous airport had turkey vultures on final in the evening, deer and coyotes at night. A popular nearby lunch run had turkey's and elk . . .

I wish! Just things to avoid instead. But whoever saw a herd of elk in Kentucky, out among the coal fields? I think the new airport code is KSJS, Prestonsburg / Paintsville, and is built on a reclaimed coal mine.

How many crashes? 150 of them?
Oh, nm, just 1 collision in a C150. Gotcha. Interesting wording in the title. :D
You have seen the news story about the C152 that crashed in a cemetery near College Station, haven't you?

Texas A&M sent out their crack rescue squad to deal with the incident.... latest from the scene is that they have recovered 268 bodies and still counting.

You have seen the news story about the C152 that crashed in a cemetery near College Station, haven't you?

Texas A&M sent out their crack rescue squad to deal with the incident.... latest from the scene is that they have recovered 268 bodies and still counting.

Where did they bury the survivors.....In Bryan or College Station?

Mike, c'mon, you can't rag on Aggies ... you're ONE OF THEM!
Or does it come with being an Aggie ... that one does not realize one is one? :D

@BigBadLou - It's a pre-requisite that we know as many of the really good ones as possible....

Back