Windows 10

I like mine. Upgrade wasn't bad.

Been using it for awhile. Now on a laptop and two desktops. No real problems observed.

between the options of 'yes' and 'no', I say yes.

Had it on the work machine for a week. Update was straight forward and so far, no issues except a continual push to upgrade Office (which I kinda need to do anyway).

Been running it since pre-release with no problems. Pretty solid IMO. And yes, I hated Windows 8, which is a reason I've been running 10 since pre-release.

The only real potential issue I see is that some might still not like the new Home menu. But, as they say, there's an app for that. I'm set up to go either way.

I upgraded my laptop a few weeks ago. Haven't exercised it very much, but it'll run my Office 2010 version of Powerpoint.

Decided to go ahead an upgrade my Desktop PC. First oddity was trying to run a program that hadn't been upgrade to the latest version. The computer just...chimed. For about a minute, then would stop on its own. No error messages, just the chimes. I tried running it in some of the fallback modes but it didn't work.

What really ticked me off was triggered by signing up for a Microsoft account to get some little freeware gadgets. I just invented a random password, not expecting to need the Microsoft account again.

Next time the computer booted it, it wanted the password. I didn't WANT to have to enter a password every time the computer booted up. And, of course, I didn't remember it.

I couldn't revert back to Windows 7, since I couldn't log on to Windows ten. I probably could have run a password recovery process from my laptop...but I was kind of ticked. I had cloned my SSD just prior to the upgrade, so used the clone version to restore the system it to Windows 7.

Ron Wanttaja

Got WinX on the new work laptop. Not easy to learn where they moved everything to. But I like the new arrangement/organization of the tray icon menu. Very easily accessible.
Will need to use it more to figure out whether I like it enough to keep it or whether I am just too dumb to learn a new maze and revert back to Win7. :)

If you are asking for real, Adam, I suggest you test the waters first and see if you like it before you make the leap to the dark side. They don't make it easy to return from WinX to Win7.

For those that like to mod their UI, I've found Rainmeter a useful utility for that. Plus there are many stable and free items work within that environment to add things like clocks, calendars, directory windows and much more. https://www.rainmeter.net/

I did it yesterday from 7. Easy enough to do. Took about an hour. So far so good. The only thing I hate is Windows Update. You can't pick and choose which updates you want. It's all or nothing, so if you get the security updates you have to get anything else Microsoft decides they want you to have whether its really important or not.

I'm not a Windows user, but Tech News Today is saying the last day to get Windows 10 for free is 7/29/16.

After that, $100+.

Yeah. Thats why I finally did it. And keeping 7 updated has gotten tedious. They know how to force their hand. I think the FAA is really owned by Microsoft LOL

I have an old dell laptop at home that's running on xp and that's hooked up to my stereo and big screen tv. All I use it for is playing my 12000 songs that's loaded on it and streaming movies and youtube vids.

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that I could update it to 10?

I have an old dell laptop at home that's running on xp and that's hooked up to my stereo and big screen tv. All I use it for is playing my 12000 songs that's loaded on it and streaming movies and youtube vids.

Is there a snowball's chance in hell that I could update it to 10?

How old? What model?

I don't know...I'm not at home. It's likely approaching 8 years.

I assume it's toast but thought I'd ask the question.

I don't know...I'm not at home. It's likely approaching 8 years.

I assume it's toast but thought I'd ask the question.

That old of a laptop, probably won't load. Even if it would load "run" would probably be too strong a word...

I'm planning to see if it will install on one of my spare notebooks that i consider expendable, just to see what it's like. If it gets bricked, it's no big deal.

It was actually the latest This Week In Tech that had the discussion I mentioned.

They recommended doing a complete backup with your old OS in place, then downloading/installing Windows 10 for free before Friday. You would then be getting a registration number, and could, if you wished, downgrade back to your old OS, keeping the Windows 10 installation as an option in the future.

Could save you $119 in the future, so worth considering.

what are the chances my old printers or other peripherals will choke on Win10?

I'm running Win10 on an 8 year old Dell netbook. no issues and faster than Win7. It's my Jeppesen update machine, since you can't update the Garmin 480 from a Mac for some reason.

My 15 year old HP LaserJet 2100 didn't like Win10 (or vice versa). Even with the latest drivers, either the printer wouldn't work or the OS wouldn't see the printer. It was getting on in years (jammed sometimes, overfed paper at others) and was never really happy as a USB printer. I replaced it with something more current and all is well.

what are the chances my old printers or other peripherals will choke on Win10?

My 15 year old HP LaserJet 2100 didn't like Win10 (or vice versa). Even with the latest drivers, either the printer wouldn't work or the OS wouldn't see the printer. It was getting on in years (jammed sometimes, overfed paper at others) and was never really happy as a USB printer. I replaced it with something more current and all is well.
That's because it should have been taken out back and shot about 7-8 years ago. :p

Last edited:
5 computers, I got no 'registration number' noted above
it can be a very slow download
some hangs which can only be cleared by reboots, uninstalling the assistant, both plus task manager to kill seemingly inactive apps, sometimes a partial install, reboot & finish install.
0-70% in 5 mins
then 70-81% took 20 mins
(nothing else using bandwidth except me sharing vitally important words on POA)

Actually, until now, I haven't tried using Windows 10 on my Dell laptop. For some reasons, a computer technician friend advised me not to download it unless I'm sure that my laptop specification is compatible. However, I'm also wondering that it works better at my daughter's Sony laptop.

Actually, until now, I haven't tried using Windows 10 on my Dell laptop. For some reasons, a computer technician friend advised me not to download it unless I'm sure that my laptop specification is compatible. However, I'm also wondering that it works better at my daughter's Sony laptop.

My own experience of installing Win10 on a Dell laptop was not good. The worst symptom was the HDMI output to an external monitor (or projector) not working. I had to revert to Win7, based on numerous internet posts by people experiencing the same problem. Fortunately the reversion is easy and painless if done quickly.

Last edited:
Pros:
My desktop is the same: same color, it did not sweep all my specifically-positioned icons into a pile on one side.
All printers are working without intervention.
VPN to server from home is fine.
All usual programs are working.

Cons:
Some say it is faster, many of my activities are noticeably slower (I am using <1/2 of my SSD, and have tons of RAM for what I do)
The taskbar and the Start menu are a hideous mess, I still cannot figure out what they have put there, and where they have put the things I normally keep there.
Always trying to make the sale; at least two buttons to allow me to shop their way, yeah thanks.
Reboot/switch user buttons not as easy but minor changes.
In a folder I used to be able to ALT-left arrow to move back to the previous level but that isn't working any more.
Cortana. Probably should not have accepted it. Bloatware, pretty big file
Task Manager seems to have another click required to kill a program, like the processes are more hidden now.
Noisy, intrusive popups (printer fail, network connection fail etc) need to find a a way to turn off.
This is hard to explain but annoying: there is normally a color or shade difference between a browser window when it is active (darker) vs when the desktop has been clicked (and the still-visible browser is 'inactive'). That difference is not as easily seen. More clicks required to figure out what is hot and what is not.
Not feeling a lot of love right now.

I haven't done much with it yet, but the appearance of it reminds me of Windows 2.0.

I refuse the upgrade. Ill keep Win7.
My IT guy recommends us not upgrading, as a matter of fact on the last 3 desktops we bought, he deleted WX and installed W 7 or 8. :) I know for a while the Ford proprietary website would not work with X.

My IT guy recommends us not upgrading, as a matter of fact on the last 3 desktops we bought, he deleted WX and installed W 7 or 8. :) I know for a while the Ford proprietary website would not work with X.

Your IT guy is smart. I can't imagine what they were thinking by releasing a "final" version which breaks something as critical as HDMI output on (many) Dell laptops. For me that alone was a show-stopper, which required an immediate Win7 rollback.

Your IT guy is smart. I can't imagine what they were thinking by releasing a "final" version which breaks something as critical as HDMI output on (many) Dell laptops. For me that alone was a show-stopper, which required an immediate Win7 rollback.
I am IT ignorant, so I depend on his judgment and usually he's right.

One thing that concerns me about Windows 10 is that the automatic updates mean that the next time Microsoft decides to redesign the user interface, their customers will not have the option of remaining with the old one. During the Windows 8 flop, there were company personnel who were expressing a desire to "force" consumers to accept whatever the company wanted to foist on them, and it now looks like they have figured out a way. It looks like a monopolist's dream.

Back