New "technique" introduced during BFR

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Just got home from my BFR about an hour ago. Had the CFI introduce a new emergency technique on me. During the emergency procedures, he covered my side of the windscreen with a sectional and pulled the power to have me fly it down as if the windscreen was covered in oil. A touch of right rudder and fly in a slight slip to the ground. I know taildragger pilots do this on a daily basis, but I've never had a CFI do this before. Just thought I'd share as it was very beneficial and a scenario you never think will happen. No pilot can ever have enough training! Anyway, good for another 2 years :D

I enjoy getting input from new CFI's. I may use the input, I may not, but it's great to get new perspectives. then you get to bring those new perspectives onto PoA and have them get chopped to pieces. pretty cool!

I enjoy getting input from new CFI's. I may use the input, I may not, but it's great to get new perspectives. then you get to bring those new perspectives onto PoA and have them get chopped to pieces. pretty cool!
I agree, something else to throw into the ole bag of tricks.

I have landed more than once with the windshield covered with ice, and using peripheral vision.

And I agree, learning should be an continual experience, not just an every two year thing.

A CFI here in Argentina recently said "what if you lose the yoke?" I said I'd use the rudder to turn. Good.

"What if you lose the rudder pedals too?" I didn't have an answer. He told me to turn the plane (a C-152) using the doors. We did it, and it worked. Amazing.

A CFI here in Argentina recently said "what if you lose the yoke?" I said I'd use the rudder to turn. Good.

"What if you lose the rudder pedals too?" I didn't have an answer. He told me to turn the plane (a C-152) using the doors. We did it, and it worked. Amazing.
No kidding! That's interesting. The thought of losing the yoke (pitch and roll) and the rudder...I'd be up craps creek. I guess the trim wheel would be your only other option for pitch control at that point.

These are what was actually intended for BFRs, rather than a PTS rehash.
Good on the CFI!!!

And if you fly a plane with a canopy or an open cockpit?

And if you fly a plane with a canopy or an open cockpit?
The canopy helps to slow you down for the the emergency landing. In the open cockpit you stick a small person out the side to add drag on one side or another :D

More seriously, the exercise is not one about landing with no aileron or elevator or rudder control. The exercise is one about thinking.

Here's my problem. Short of being MacGuyver, what do I have here to help me solve it.

Just got home from my BFR about an hour ago. Had the CFI introduce a new emergency technique on me. During the emergency procedures, he covered my side of the windscreen with a sectional and pulled the power to have me fly it down as if the windscreen was covered in oil. A touch of right rudder and fly in a slight slip to the ground. I know taildragger pilots do this on a daily basis, but I've never had a CFI do this before. Just thought I'd share as it was very beneficial and a scenario you never think will happen. No pilot can ever have enough training! Anyway, good for another 2 years :D
I hope he could still scan for traffic from his side. Sounds fun.

These are what was actually intended for BFRs, rather than a PTS rehash.
Good on the CFI!!!
Absolutely! I would rather learn some new tricks and maybe struggle doing so then to just go out and show off some skills I have already more or less mastered. Otherwise, what is the purpose? This old dog likes new tricks.

Absolutely! I would rather learn some new tricks and maybe struggle doing so then to just go out and show off some skills I have already more or less mastered. Otherwise, what is the purpose? This old dog likes new tricks.
That's where a preflight discussion and a plan of action come into play. It doesn't even have to be something unusual. Just something the pilot has not done in a while. The most common answer I get to "when is the last time you were under the hood" from a VFR pilot is "not since my checkride," even if the checkride was >10 years earlier. And it shows.

Great CFI for sure. And glad you enjoyed it.
I'll make a point of bringing up some unusual emergencies with my CFI at my next FR. Planned or surprising, doesn't matter.

Also works for Cirri. Those gull wing doors are also...wings. I've tried it many times and I am actually a pilot.

I'll make a point of bringing up some unusual emergencies with my CFI at my next FR. Planned or surprising, doesn't matter.
Try this one that I did with an instructor... One of your main tires blew out on take off... you were able to get into the air, but now you got nuttin but metal rim and deflated rubber. Now try to land on the other main and hold it there for as long as possible as you roll out.

It was a good challenge since I didn't have any crosswind of note to "lean" against.

Yes sir! Challenge yourself, it's worth it!

Try this one that I did with an instructor... One of your main tires blew out on take off... you were able to get into the air, but now you got nuttin but metal rim and deflated rubber. Now try to land on the other main and hold it there for as long as possible as you roll out.

It was a good challenge since I didn't have any crosswind of note to "lean" against.
Not quite the same but this reminds me - how many think of soft field technique as being for emergencies? Two of the three best soft field landings I ever did involved concerns over the condition of the nosewheel. Actually use that scenario when teaching soft field rather than pretend a paved runway is a bog.

What if you lost the Trim Wheel

Serious question - what do you have left? Still have the doors or you can turn slowly by sticking your arm out. You can use the throttle to control pitch - you are stuck at the same speed but you can go up or down.

I have never tried shifting weight, rolling seats around. Could that affect pitch as well?

Now - if you lose all of that then you are just a projectile.

Serious question - what do you have left? Still have the doors or you can turn slowly by sticking your arm out. You can use the throttle to control pitch - you are stuck at the same speed but you can go up or down.

I have never tried shifting weight, rolling seats around. Could that affect pitch as well?

Yes it was a serious question... if you go back and look at the photo I posted when I asked the question, you'll see a large plastic can (This is used to hold the climbers crap - literal crap) jammed between me and the yoke. The trim went out on take off and the plane wanted to go straight up.

After a long flight controlled only with throttle, I then continued to use the throttle and flaps to make a surprisingly nice touchdown back at the airport.

PJ

I can't believe in 26 posts nobody's suggested to pull the chute.

When trimmed, I can turn my Mooney by leaning to the side, and start shallow climbs / descents by leaning back / forward. I could slide the seat way back and get an impressive climb, but it would be difficult to slide back uphill to level off. Pull power to descend, it will work every time. :p

Back