Video of the A26 gear collapse

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
This airplane used to be stored at our local museum. I have sat in the cockpit. Glad everyone is OK.

Wow, looked trapped on top. Heck of a jump if they had to. Way too long to get them off the plane, really unacceptable. Thankfully no fire or they'd be gone. They need a hook n ladder truck. Should have at least got a ladder so they could get off in case that thing ignited.

Last edited:
Good response time! Sirens were rolling before it came to a stop. However, getting off and down from the airplane is no easy feat. Glad no one was seriously hurt and hope the beautiful bird will be back in action soon.

Hate to see the old planes get pranged. Did pilots report a nose gear failure or just land it flat?

They declared an emergency about 20 minutes before landing. Came in for landing on rwy 27 initially but had to go around. Then made a low approach and tower reported back that nose gear was turned sideways in the wheel well. They declared an emergency and requested 36 because it's the longest runway. Emergency crews were suited up and ready when they landed.

I did see another video of this same plane landing at OSH a couple days earlier. It was a really hard landing! This plane is meant to be landed flat with all three wheels touching down at about the same time. The video I saw shows it flaring and then stalling from a foot or two off the runway. This is a sturdy old bird but too many landings like that will take a toll.

I did see another video of this same plane landing at OSH a couple days earlier. It was a really hard landing! This plane is meant to be landed flat with all three wheels touching down at about the same time. The video I saw shows it flaring and then stalling from a foot or two off the runway. This is a sturdy old bird but too many landings like that will take a toll.

This one?

Yep that one... That was brutal!!!
It is the same type of touch down that flipped the nose gear up and out of action....

Yep that one... That was brutal!!!
It is the same type of touch down that flipped the nose gear up and out of action....
Yea, it was the anticipation of the touchdown that caused the nose gear to be sideways on short final.

One of the things the old man used to complain about was pilots landing "his" A-26 too fast.

There is an old training film from WWII on flying the A-26 that I've seen on Youtube that demonstrates the proper technique for landing this plane. You basically fly it right down into ground effect and let the plane settle onto the runway without any discernable flare. It's one of the few tricycle gear planes that you land 3-point. When done right, it's a thing of beauty!

Here's the training video. Landing technique discussed for several minutes beginning at about 8:00.

There is an old training film from WWII on flying the A-26 that I've seen on Youtube that demonstrates the proper technique for landing this plane. You basically fly it right down into ground effect and let the plane settle onto the runway without any discernable flare. It's one of the few tricycle gear planes that you land 3-point. When done right, it's a thing of beauty!
Interesting. I know very little about the A-26, but in the B-25 you most definitely don't want to land like that video. You hold the nose off as long as possible.

Back