Am I officialy ungrounded?

J

Jonathatron5

i have a valid 3rd class flight physical issued in 2011. I have been on anti depresents since then, however I am working with a doctor to cut back my dosage. and hopefully be free of them comepletely by the time Im actually able to afford to fly(ie out of college)

I am not now nor ever have been seriously mentally ill. i have social anxiety.

am I offically ungrounded???

letter from my psychiatrist reads.

" current diagnoses are Social Phobia, generealized ,Panic disorder, without agrophobia."..."he is not currently having any significant panic"

First thing, FAA has 180 days to write rules.

now, I understand your not a flight doctor or anything. But if i get off of my meds completely, and i continue seeing my doctor with no new major symptom presentations. would i be good?

seems like you did the right thing and self-grounded yourself. what does your doc think? are you safe?

seems like you did the right thing and self-grounded yourself. what does your doc think? are you safe?

i havent actually asked her believe it or not. but i asked her if i was "mentally ill" she said"technically yes, but its not at all what most people immagine, your very well off compared to most of my patients"

she knows i had an interest in aircraft, and she has been very willing to work on with me on it in the past. she has never said anything negative towards that effect.

i havent actually asked her believe it or not. but i asked her if i was "mentally ill" she said"technically yes, but its not at all what most people immagine, your very well off compared to most of my patients"

she knows i had an interest in aircraft, and she has been very willing to work on with me on it in the past. she has never said anything negative towards that effect.
maybe she hasn't said anything because you haven't asked a direct question. an "interest" in aviation can mean many things besides piloting aircraft. when you make the decision to fly you're putting your life and the lives of others on the line. not being dramatic but that's just the way it is. ask your doc if she thinks you'te safe to fly. would she ride with you? do you think you're safe to fly?

Go read 67.313. Your medical is no good until you are evaluated by the Federal Air Surgeon, for the underlying condition.

At 5 years on the meds you will need a HIMS psychiatrist to review, ($$-ive) unless your care has been by a board certified psychiatrist and his records pass muster. I don't think you'll get a different answer here than you did from our email.

You can hope-hope-hope all you want, but that' the facts.

Now if you want to wait a year, that same family doc might be induced to sign you off on a PBOR-2 signoff.

I'd have said, "Ask Dr. Chien." Am I perceptive, or what?

Best of luck.

Go read 67.313. Your medical is no good until you are evaluated by the Federal Air Surgeon, for the underlying condition.

At 5 years on the meds you will need a HIMS psychiatrist to review, ($$-ive) unless your care has been by a board certified psychiatrist and his records pass muster. I don't think you'll get a different answer here than you did from our email.

Now if you want to wait a year, that same family doc might be induced to sign you off on a PBOR-2 signoff.

no this is a board certified psychiatrist.

so get off of the meds, have no more issues, have my psychiatrist write a favourable letter to a flight surgeon, get checked out by the flight surgeon for underlying cause, all of this assuming im actually in good mental health, and , im good?

or have i misunderstood somewhere?

also, i am definitly going to have to wait ATLEAST a year anyway for finacial issues to be striaghtend up.

no this is a board certified psychiatrist.

so get off of the meds, have no more issues, have my psychiatrist write a favourable letter to a flight surgeon, get checked out by the flight surgeon for underlying cause, all of this assuming im actually in good mental health, and , im good?

or have i misunderstood somewhere?

Wait til the PBOR rules go live. You wont need a flight surgeon in that instance as long as you meet the letter of the law on mental health issues. You have a once valid 3rd class that was issued in the past 10 years, so.. you are good from that standpoint. As long as your non-AME MD is willing to sign off on the (as yet to be developed) form it sounds like you can proceed at that point.

It's stuff like this that makes me cringe. Things like this will hurt PBOR2 or whatever they are calling it. All we need is one guy who really has no business flying crash into something and then rule changes are down the pike. Not stating this to the OP or anybody else - just generalizing.

It's stuff like this that makes me cringe. Things like this will hurt PBOR2 or whatever they are calling it. All we need is one guy who really has no business flying crash into something and then rule changes are down the pike. Not stating this to the OP or anybody else - just generalizing.

see I have a fundemental objection to the existance of the FAA. its not a power specifically granted to the Federal Government(as im not using it for interstate commerce) so i feel as though states should issue liscensures , like drivers.

see I have a fundemental objection to the existance of the FAA. its not a power specifically granted to the Federal Government(as im not using it for interstate commerce) so i feel as though states should issue liscensures , like drivers.

I'm a bit of an anti-government libertarian myself... but there are very important reasons why we need an FAA or something like it. The way medical certifications are done isn't one of those things IMO, an individual and a doctor who personally is aware of their case are better judges than a bunch of regs. Fortunately that seems to be the direction things are moving in so hooray.

Oh, great.

50 different sets of rules, sorta like with firearms. No thanks.

Oh, great.

50 different sets of rules, sorta like with firearms. No thanks.

Imagine one set of firearm regs.

Modeled after New Jersey and Massachusetts.

Only more restrictive. That's what the Feds would give you. No thanks.

State licensing seems to work okay for driving, even while the Feds regulate the vehicles and roads.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back