Display name:
gitmo234
Tied down at 58M
Registration N6669A
1956 Cessna 172
Flight Rules: IFR/VFR
Paint 6/10
Interior 7/10
Fresh Annual. Several repairs were made in the last two years, it was flow regularly (about 200 hours). Tires were replaced, wheel pants removed, generator upgrade, voltage regulator replaced with a solid state VR, transponder repaired.
TT- ~2500 hrs
All logs since new, may have been damage in the 60's but was repaired
O-300 Engine- ~800 SMOH. compressions all >75

Annual is due in July, I will have it completed it sold before before then. Overhaul was completed in the 80s but the airplane was flown at least 20 hours every year since, and I've flown in about 200 hours in two years from 58M to jekyll island, to Indianapolis, Nashville, and all over.

Modifications
STC Mo Gas

Equipment
Bendix 170B radio
Garmin 430
KT 170 Transponder

Asking $26,500 OBO

Message me if you have any questions or if you are interested. I am only selling for two reasons: 1) if you look at my prior threads ive created, awhile back my wife told me that when we start having kids i will need to upgrade or quit flying. 2) I am being deployed for about 10 months, and the money made during that time will be enough to essentially pay off everything we have and I will be making the upgrade to a PA-32 when i return because my wife wants to start having kids when I'm back.

I'd rather get rid of it before I deploy so i'm not paying for a tie down and for someone to run it up for an hour here and there.

The pictures make the paint look better than it is, it isnt horrible but its not brand new either. Side wheel pants have been removed. A tire went flat and cracked one. 40 degree johnson bar flaps are probably the best thing this bird has on it.

Attachments

• N6669A 1.jpg
    N6669A 1.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 317
  • N6669A 9.jpg
    N6669A 9.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 311
  • N6669A 4.jpg
    N6669A 4.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Want to also note that I took the original 1956 department of commerce registration to the FAA FSDO to get a new airworthiness certificate, the FAA did their usual review of all records and issued one.

With the GNS430 why VFR only?

By generator upgrade, do you mean you converted to an alternator? Also, according to my online Google Foo you have a '56 172, most definitely not a '67 model.

Last edited:
Damn it, sorry about that. There's no question this is a '56. I copied and pasted another ad for formatting and forgot to edit the flight rules and that part about it being a 67.

Generator upgrade means I had a larger generator installed. The stock size (10 amp I believe) wasnt enough to power everything if you had a something plugged in, so I had a freshly rebuilt larger generator installed. I dont have the paperwork in front of me (I'm currently at fort leavenworth for another week).

430 vanilla? Or WAAS?

430 vanilla and someone asked on another website so I'll post it here. Cleveland wheels/brakes

That panel wouldn't take much to turn into a solid IFR rig, add a nav head for that GNS, or a HSI if you want to be fancy, move a couple things around, not shabby

Does it have a vac pump or is it Venturi?

Original Venturi. The previous owner had it setup for IFR and had a couple things pulled when he sold it

Outside of this forum the airplane is listed on trade a plane and was listed on ebay. The other two have brought me a ton of tire-kickers and only three people who are semi-seriously interested.

Didnt sell on ebay but came close to my reserve price. I have three people who describe themselves as "serious buyers" either thinking about it or in some stage of offering/etc.

Completely flyable airplane and in decent shape, especially for its age. I'll drop to $24,750, including an annual at my shop (due in july but scheduling may be a pain in the ass or drag it out), or $23,750 and get the annual done on your own.

Whoever comes first. I've got a couple messages about it being early for me to upgrade to a family hauler, but the other part of that is loading up the dogs or just us two and being able to cruise fast. My airplane is fine but the flights i make are almost always >3 hours. Stopping 3 times in a day on an trip from the east coast to somewhere like missouri isnt a lot of fun. I'd rather load up 84 gallons of fuel and set autopilot

WAAS upgrade is currently closer to $3500.

I could swear I've seen it for a bit under that price tag

That panel wouldn't take much to turn into a solid IFR rig, add a nav head for that GNS, or a HSI if you want to be fancy, move a couple things around, not shabby

Any idea what it would cost to move things around? I like the airplane but that would be a tough scan for IFR.

Couple of corrections:

Sale is alleged to be pending, but I have a hunch he might not be that interested
SMOH time is actually 680. I didn't do a good review prior to posting it.

Very likely to be heading to a broker by the end of this week just so i don't have to deal with it. I dont have time before I head off, and they're better at it. It will be sold much quicker

Any idea what it would cost to move things around? I like the airplane but that would be a tough scan for IFR.
It is a tough scan.

When I was based in San Diego, I used to keep my 170 IFR certified (very similar panel layout). It was fine for busting through the marine layers, but I also had a portable Garmin in my field of view and a yoke mounted iPad.

Had one flight where I was getting vectored around the LA basin in the soup going up to Van Nuys. THAT was a real workout!

Best wishes on the sale. I'll keep my ear to the ground in the Harrisburg area and I'll check around and see if anyone's interested.

Best wishes on the sale. I'll keep my ear to the ground in the Harrisburg area and I'll check around and see if anyone's interested.

Thanks! Late next week I'm flying it up to the broker I bought it from. They cut me a deal on the fee. It was a quick sale with a lot of offers when I bought it, they basically said they could probably list it the same price and have it out the door in a few weeks (most likely), and just wire the money to me while I'm deployed

Thanks! Late next week I'm flying it up to the broker I bought it from. They cut me a deal on the fee. It was a quick sale with a lot of offers when I bought it, they basically said they could probably list it the same price and have it out the door in a few weeks (most likely), and just wire the money to me while I'm deployed

So what were the fees that most of these dealers are offering? I've got my 150 I'm trying to sell and interested parties inquiring have slowed quite a bit. I really do not want to go to a dealer, but its looking that way.

So what were the fees that most of these dealers are offering? I've got my 150 I'm trying to sell and interested parties inquiring have slowed quite a bit. I really do not want to go to a dealer, but its looking that way.

They charge a % of sale price. Mine is low priced enough that rather than a % its a flat fee. I would expect it to be $1500 or more

Congrats! That seemed to be fast and painless?

Congrats! That seemed to be fast and painless?

Thanks everyone. Faster than expected honestly, and a bit less painless. This buyer was pretty low on the "BS" factor. He is a professional (but local) pilot and wanted his own personal short commuter for work and to see family a couple of states away.

For the duration of the sale I had one person come look at it who got upset it wasn't in pristine condition, even though its a 1956. Another young family came to view it and he was ready to go to the bank that instant but his wife wanted more time (which turned into "no").

This guy called up, came to visit 24 hours later, did a pre-flight, checked the basics of it. I wanted to be as up front as possible and started to point out the flaws (which were cosmetic) and he said "I dont give a S@#$$ about that, I want to see that the meat and potatoes" We took a couple trips around the pattern, he said "cool lets talk numbers" threw some offers around, and its not sold contingent upon a fresh annual. The visit took about 45 minutes

Back