C402 $20K

whereisrandall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Randall Williams
dude came into the airport today in his 1969 402, having just put 20 flight hours on it.

He bought it for 20, put 50 in over 7 months, it came out airworthy and he's pretty stoked for the upgrade.

Made me think about what could be had for the right amount of work. Always wondering...

The best kind of person to do that deal is someone who is an IA as well as pilot.. and can have a great idea of exactly what he's getting into, and can do much of the work himself if needed.

And he still has an airplane only worth $20k.....

vref includes these notes;
"Gear Brace Kit can impact values from $6k to $8k. Wing spar mod can be in the $50k range. The 1975s & up can be known-ice. 1286 As and Bs were built. ADs = 07-04-19 cylinders 09-04-04 wing spar 09-10-14 prop 09-19-07 cyl heads 10-11-04 lifters 11-13-03 turbo 11-26-07 magneto 12-10-13 starter 14-03-03 icing 16-07-24 elevator trim rod."

It's hard to find old 402s. I saw an old 402B at Osh yesterday, the first time I'd seen one in years. Most of them were freight dogs that were used until the wings fell off (literally or figuratively).

It's hard to find old 402s. I saw an old 402B at Osh yesterday, the first time I'd seen one in years. Most of them were freight dogs that were used until the wings fell off (literally or figuratively).

Well, Cape Air still has 80 or so left in their fleet.

And he still has an airplane only worth $20k.....

If you know where to find decent 402s for 20k, give 9K a call, I'm sure they'll buy all the ones you can find, probably even give you a nice finders fee.

I'm also looking for a P-51D in the same condition for like 30k, hook a brotha' up!

Well, Cape Air still has 80 or so left in their fleet.

Those are 402Cs, and they are not for sale. My post was unclear, I was specifically referring to "old" 402s, A and B models.

Flew the 402B, one of the easiest planes to land.

And Buffalo Joe has been running DC-3s ad C-46s. Single operators can do well with unique airplanes because they buy up all the spares.

Miss that show on TV. Guess they didn't want all the scrutiny of their ops? FAA has grounded a few times haven't they?

Miss that show on TV. Guess they didn't want all the scrutiny of their ops? FAA has grounded a few times haven't they?

I don't think it was the FAA. :) But yep, they were grounded by Transport Canada at least two times to my best recollection.

Last year when I was in Calgary, I bought a tee shirt with their logo and their Electra on it. I liked the show.

LOL yeah, Transport Canada, dummy me. Love the Electra, think it has the same engines as C-130s do.

Last edited:
According to the website, ol' Joe is still shut down on the scheduled passenger service. Charter is still going. Looks like some of his problems were flying over loaded.

I rode in a couple of the Electras in Alaska when they were part of Reeve Aleutian Airways.

According to the website, ol' Joe is still shut down on the scheduled passenger service. Charter is still going. Looks like some of his problems were flying over loaded.

I thought that was a requirement in Canada?

Back