Remember Kevin Lacey from that "Airplane Repo" show? (cool video)

No. We point out a possible violation of regs, and proper safety precautions, for the edification of others.

Not to mention it's not hard to imagine an instance where not having a shoulder harness in use at the time of a crash could have serious consequences. A child could be forced to go through life with serious facial scars that a simple shoulder belt could have prevented.

Critiquing is what pilots, and especially flight instructors, are prone to do. I suggest getting used to it.
Which is why many users post their own experiences, once.

Only on the internet could a feel-good video turn into an argument about regs and shoulder harnesses...

If one potential, student or current pilot has now been educated in the proper use of shoulder harnesses under the law, I think the criticism is worthwhile and productive.

If anyone feels that pilot's oversight should have been ignored on general principle, well we'll just have to disagree.

Which is why many users post their own experiences, once.

If I ever post something that may be illegal or unsafe, I would welcome having it pointed out, and I would hopefully learn from the experience. But That's Just Me! (tm).

This has gone on long enough, we have missed the problem entirely here. We shouldn't be talking about shoulder belts but the fact that we don't know if mr. Lacey had a background check done before take off, or why he is alone in a plane with a youth. Think of the children ! There should have been another vetted adult in that plane to make sure no hanky panky took place. There has to be a reason the camera stops above crotch level.

Caution....the above post contains sarcasm and or humorous statements.

If one potential, student or current pilot has now been educated in the proper use of shoulder harnesses under the law, I think the criticism is worthwhile and productive.
There are different ways of pointing something out. The tone of this thread was not the most productive way, IMHO.

If we can ruin the experience of a hundred people by pointing out something for one person, it's worth it dammit!
(insert political rant here)

Regardless of whatever regs might have been violated, I found the video entertaining. Kevin hitting the switch between kind and firm with those kids gave me a couple of chuckles. "Alright...there you go...65, ok, just gently bring it up. Why are you going off the runway?"

That's what set me off - calling the man a dumb ass, and guilty of docuchery. Sure, no issue, the kids should most definitely be secured. . .

But as an adult, yeah, eff the regs; If a pilot wants to fly without a harness on (which I don't, really), then do so, and accept the risks, as an informed adult. It's not stupid, or ignorant, or evidence of diminished capacity.

Winds me up a bit (you think?) when choices made by others don't align with the observer's mind-set:

"It's stupid not to use flight following"
"You're a moron to accept an intersection takeoff"
"BRS chutes are for sissies"

I'm O.K. with either point of view, on any of them. . .

Back